The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Exige S has been hesitant to start the last few attempts. The starter would click 5-10 times before the engine would turn over. Any ideas about what's going on? It has always started, but I'm afraid it might decide to strand me somewhere. I keep the battery on a maintainer for what it's worth.

Probably on a totally different note, a couple weeks ago I was filling up at the gas station and when I went to start the car, there was a load bang almost like a spring let loose. It seemed to come from behind the steering wheel. It either happened when I turned the key or pushed the immobilizer button to start the car. In any event, I didn't think it would start when I pushed the button, but it did. No strange behavior before or since...except for the above. It was loud enough that it startled me and made me think something was wrong.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Monaco Dreamin'
461 Posts
Even though you keep it on a maintainer the battery could still be bad. I suggest either testing the battery or just going for a new one altogether. I had the same symptoms, it just kept getting worse and worse.

As for the noise, unfortunately I can't say what for sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be happy if it's only the battery. My maintainer can perform a recondition of the battery. I'll try that to see if it makes a difference. I was afraid it might be the starter, although to be honest I'm not sure if these have starter motors. I haven't had occasion to look until now.

Thanks,
Mike

Even though you keep it on a maintainer the battery could still be bad. I suggest either testing the battery or just going for a new one altogether. I had the same symptoms, it just kept getting worse and worse.

As for the noise, unfortunately I can't say what for sure.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I am convinced it's only a battery issue. The other day it wouldn't start at all. I put it back on the charger and it started right away.

I started looking at batteries and found some (not necessarily Lotuses) had issues with battery life...even on a maintainer...when the vehicles are used infrequently. Any recommendation for an infrequently driven Exige S? I drive it about once a week.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the sticky thread that listed all of the batteries and their specs for the Elise and Exige. It's a few years old but I'm assuming still relevant. My existing (nearly dead) battery is a Braille B2015. It came with the car when I bought it two years ago. Incidentally, the battery was dead when the car arrived on the truck, so I'm sure that didn't help matters. Anyway, I've attached an image. I would rather not replace it with a Braille since I don't track it. But I've learned that I need to make sure I have a suitable custom bracket. Judging by the discussion in the sticky thread, I'm thinking about an Optima Red Top 75-25. I should mention that, in addition to being driven only once a week, I garage it in the winter. But it stays on a Ctek MUS 4.3 maintainer.

Stupid question: The Optima does not require the bracket I currently have, which has an shutoff switch as well. If I choose a battery that does NOT require a bracket, what should I be looking for that would secure it? I'm concerned that the previous owner might have removed something that would be used to mount a stock battery. I'll have to take a closer look when I get home.

If I go with a battery requiring a custom bracket, are there battery-specific brackets, or could I expect mine to work with any of those on the list here:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f321/battery-choices-information-64071/

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts