The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have been contemplating getting an elise or exige S for some time now. I currently drive an R8 but it's proving to be a bit too costly in this kind of economy and I feel kinda guilty taking it to the track.

I'm looking for something more track oriented and cheaper to run frequently there.

My main problem is that the entrance to my condo is underground and that there's a short steep hill that has the front of the R8 rub every time I come home. Now that front is low and long compared to where the wheels are.

What I'm wondering is would an elise or exige rub as well, and what are the consequences of such rubbing? Since the wheels are so close to the front I'm thinking I could probably avoid most of the rubbing.

Still I'm worried as I know these are fragile little cars...

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Since the Exige comes with a factory splitter, I believe it is a little less forgiving about bumps and steep hills than an Elise would be. I've only "lightly rubbed" my splitter once however...and that was through my own stupidity.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have an elise without a splitter, and boy - scraping the bottom sounds like death.

In my older cars, rubbing would just sound like a rub, and I'd be off on my merry way. In the elise, when I rubbed on a steep driveway, I heard a crunch, felt an impact all throughout the car, and the turn signal lens popped out of the bumper.

Feeling underneath the front bumper, I felt a small hole/crack caused by that "rub".

Ouch. :( It really is a glass car. I wouldn't be able to go back to driving another car, though. I've contemplated a 91-93 nsx, but I think I'd still miss the Elise. :)

btw, got any pictures of your R8? I see one almost every day here at the work parking garage, and it is a real beauty.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The Elise's winglets sit a bit lower than the Exige. The Elise is also more prone to damage when rubbing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I hang my front license plate a bit more than an inch below the front splitter. That way when I hear the scraping noise, I can do something before I actually scrape the front of the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I hang my front license plate a bit more than an inch below the front splitter. That way when I hear the scraping noise, I can do something before I actually scrape the front of the car.
That's an excellent idea, unfortunately I doubt there's a way around the scraping in the building that I live in.

I've seen someone put kevlar below the front clam in the DIY mods thread, that may help but then I'm afraid it'll just pop the blinkers more easily. I guess with the splitter the exige would be more resistant to cracking the shell...

Or I may wait until I move away or have a cottage near Mont Tremblant to store the car and keep it for track days only.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Nifty R8.

I cracked my clam one time also while not paying attention - but more often than not, I find that the Elice DOESN'T bottom out when I think it will.

I have a driveway with an incline and the road dips as you approach it. I've yet to scrape the clam in that area, and we thought I wouldn't even be able to get it into the garage.

As for the cars fragility - well, I just don't agree. I daily drive mine and it's bulletproof, aside from the clam being made of Fiberglass, I consider it to be more tough than my Miata was.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
I recommend getting a splitter for the Elise .... saves your clam

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Since the Exige comes with a factory splitter, I believe it is a little less forgiving about bumps and steep hills than an Elise would be. I've only "lightly rubbed" my splitter once however...and that was through my own stupidity.
I disagree, at least the splitter is replaceable and the nubs on the elise hang down futher and require fiberglass work to repair.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The Elise's winglets sit a bit lower than the Exige. The Elise is also more prone to damage when rubbing.
I disagree, at least the splitter is replaceable and the nubs on the elise hang down futher and require fiberglass work to repair.
I was not aware that the Elise winglets are lower, but I was referring to the Exige's splitter sticking out further (and I thought lower) than the Elise. It lessens the approach angle. Maybe it's a wash since one is lower and one sticks out further. But you are right, the damage to a splitter is far less concerning than damage to the clam itself.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I recommend getting a splitter for the Elise .... saves your clam
I'm definitely considering one.
slightly scraped my Elise's winglet *just* enough to mentally bug me. (barely visible unless you look for it)
but sucks that my perfectly immaculate car ha s a slight blemish now.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Can you modify the approach? I have some wide boards set in place at an appropriate spot to reduce the problem. I suggest starting there, if possible, because you may want to lower the car further, which will aggravate the problem. Some of us have removed the winglets and license plate plinths on our Elises to get a little more clearance.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...both of mehve's canards sport full-bore holes underneath, one courtesy of her original owner, the other a downward-sloping railroad crossing transition to an uphill slope, leaving a very sharp composite angle...i've never had a problem with speed bumps nor driveways, only a few close calls...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't think I can lower it much more as in Montreal the roads are utter crap. Thing that saves the R8 is the wideness of its tires, they're too large to fit in most potholes!

I've tried modifying my approach but as there are other people living here my options are limited.

Still I'm happy that the best choice would be the exige as I like it more than the Elise. Funny that the fact that it's easier to scrape is actually an advantage as it is more protected!

Thanks for the insight everyone!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Due to an above ground rain gutter on my street I can only enter my driveway backwards and exit forwards without scraping the front splitter. That is probably not an option for you if your condo garage is shared.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Due to an above ground rain gutter on my street I can only enter my driveway backwards and exit forwards without scraping the front splitter. That is probably not an option for you if your condo garage is shared.
It would be but since I'm downtown entering backwards would be a major pain in the ass.

It's about the same situation as you, the rain gutter at the bottom makes the wheel dip a tad too much and that's what makes it scrape.

I could always try to put up a grill but I doubt the co-owners would be thrilled, especially at the noise it would make every time a car passes over it!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I love my replaceable splitter, everyone should have one if you track. :)

Nailed a cone at 50mph and it saved my clam. Of course the hit weakened my splitter for the next event and it folded down and rubbed the track @ 130+mph next event and scared the crap out of me. But the a quick 5min swap back to stock splitter and I was back out there with no damage to the clam.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts