The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, there is a thread about conversation in a lotus going on right now, but my question is different enough I thought it should have its own thread.

I plan to install an airbox after a bit, so factor that in.

What I expect from a sportscar is that up to 3-4,000 RPM-ish or under low load, it has a bit of rasp to the exhaust, something not to obvious so as not to draw attention to myself. When you put the hammer down, I want it to scream, howl, growl, spit fire and belch brimstones. Noise level in cabin is not an issue (My car has no touring pack, its gonna be loud no matter what)

My main contenders:
Lotus stage 2
Larini SC Sport
Larini "S" Clubsport muffler

I'd prefer to keep the exhaust exit in the stock location, but this isn't required

I work at a university so the more expensive systems are a bit out of my price range. Which of these 3, or other exhausts less than $800, do you think would meet my needs?

thanks,

GM

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Get the first stage 2 (not the S version with single tip) - it will be your loudest out of those choices. The Larini SC Sport is quiet compared to the others.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I bought/installed a Larini SC Sport. My reasons for this seem to be similar to your criteria.

1. Stock exit.
2. Pretty quiet at idle but definitely louder than stock when you hit the gas. Did not want something really loud (I leave early in the morning and don't want to wake up my neighbors. Plus the police in my area are known to give exhaust tickets.).

Bonuses:
1. Really noticeable at startup when the engine does its initial rev. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I started the car up after the install.
2. Up to 16 lbs lighter than stock (according to Sector111).
3. Pops and burbles.

Needless to say, I'm happy with my choice.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get the first stage 2 (not the S version with single tip) - it will be your loudest out of those choices. The Larini SC Sport is quiet compared to the others.
I didn't know there were different stage 2 exhausts. Would my 07 Exige need an oval tip one to fit through the diffuser?

sorry, bit confused by all the lotus "stage" exhausts.

I had heard the S2 was loud all through the RPM range. Is it possible to keep low rpm sound to a dull roar with limited skinny pedal?

Basically I want to be able to keep it sane sounding if I drive like a grandma, or cruise at a reasonable speed, but light up when you hammer it.

thanks,

GM

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The idle part may be a bit subjective but I don't find the stage 2 to be objective at idle - I like the bass like sound it emits. But it isn't a quiet exhaust by any means.

Yes there are two stage 2's. The first has two outlets. The newest has one single outlet. Both will fit your 07's opening. Prior to 07's and later N/A Elises had to had the diffuser cut or modified to accept the stage 2 tips - but the supercharged oval opening is big enough to not require that.

But again there are two different stage 2's. I got the impression you were looking for the loudest out of those exhausts you listed. If that is the case the original stage 2 (with 2 tips) is the loudest and lightest. The newest single tip stage 2 was specifically developed for the supercharged car but intended to keep the dB's and droning down a little - which it does but is also a little heavier.

I hear good things about the Larini S Clubsport being very close to the stage 2 in sound. To me, from the outside, it has a higher pitch than the stage 2 but I have not heard it from inside the car - which is where I am told it is more alike.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The idle part may be a bit subjective but I don't find the stage 2 to be objective at idle - I like the bass like sound it emits. But it isn't a quiet exhaust by any means.
*snip*

Wow thanks for the great advice. How do you find the noise to be on freeway and around town in traffic.

I am also in St. Louis and live near Bel Ridge, the ticket capital of Missouri, so would prefer to keep a semi-low profile when i'm not hammering the thing.:evil:

On my scirocco 16v I had a walker dynomax. Loud but low tone at idle and up to about 3-4 k then SCREEAMMM. That is a blast.

thanks!

GM

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone in St. Louis want to demonstrate?

I want to have my exhaust put on next week, the stocker is too quiet, can't stand a sportscar that won't scream for me.

Anyone in the St. Louis area want to take me around the block in their supercharged car with one of the exhausts listed.

I think I have narrowed my choices to:
Lotus Original stage 2
Lotus Exige S stage 2
Larini "s" clubsport muffler

I'd be very grateful to sit in the passenger seat and see what relaxed 0-30, 30mph cruising and highway cruising sound like. WOT sound would be fun too, but I don't care how loud that is, I just want to make sure on the highway sound and from a stop.

thanks,

GM

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Maybe the stage 2 or Clubsport isn't for you - I say that because I wouldn't say they are quiet at idle - you can tell it isn't stock and they can be a bit loud at slower cruising speeds.

The exhaust you are describing will not likely have a bass sound to it - those that are initially quiet are open up on throttle tend to have an "import" tinny kind of sound - if that makes sense. They kind of whine - like a "waaaaaaa" at open throttle. The Larini SC Sport fits that bill.

You definately don't want the Argay on a supercharged Exige.

I have run the 1st stage 2 on two of my Exiges - I have the stock exhaust right now on my 260 and that has to go. I don't like the sound of it at all and I know how heavy the thing is. I have replaced and changed these on each car and it isn't a difficult thing to do. A little tug and pull and it can be awkward if you don't lift the car - but not the worst thing I have ever done. I have my 1st stage 2 in a box and considering either putting that on or getting the 2nd version (just because of looks).

The stage 2 and Clubsport pop frequently when you let off the gas (particularly in 3rd and 4th gear). But you wont hide from Bel Ridge police with a stage 2 (however I doubt you are hiding even with a stock exhaust - you are a moving target to them).

I might be willing to sell my 1st stage 2 to you if you are interested.

·
Registered
205 Posts
we have the Larini S Clubsport and like it and get unsolicited compliments on it's sound.

search on this forum for our review.

best of luck with your decision.

i'd let you ride in ours to listen, but we are a day's drive away from you. :sad:

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
+1 on 2bular 6" GT3. looks and sounds killer.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Exhaust

I have had the Lotus Stage 2 for Exige S, the Larini Sports Exhaust System - SE Style and now the 2bular GT3 exhaust, all with sport cat. The Stage 2 and Larini where the loudest at 60% throttle or more (too much), the 2bular is my next install (with Headers and Sport Cat) while engine work is being done. If you track the car on a regular basis you will blow it out anyway......so sooner or later they all get loud.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
the stage 2 is killing me. I used bose headsets last time I took a long ride (5 hours)

Is the Larini SC that much quieter? this stage 2 thing has to go (at least for longer trips)

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I have the two pipe version Stage II, it is loud and screaming at high rpm :cool:. But also loud droning at low rpm :mad:

Dealer told me not to install the Stage III Oval tip version (the new version for SC) because it is way too loud.:no:

·
Registered
974 Posts
the stage 2 is killing me. I used bose headsets last time I took a long ride (5 hours)

Is the Larini SC that much quieter? this stage 2 thing has to go (at least for longer trips)
I kept hearing stories about the stage 2 that make it bad for daily driving. That's why I chose the SC Sport.

In my opinion it is not that loud while cruising and I feel that it drones. I also have the Manly motor mount inserts which I think would magnify things a little. Only things I notice are some slight shaking of the side mirrors at idle and some occasional rattles in the cabin on initial acceleration from a dead stop.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dealer told me not to install the Stage III Oval tip version (the new version for SC) because it is way too loud.:no:
Several people have told me the Exige s2 is quieter than the two tip (universal) version, by a significant degree. :panic::panic::panic: I plan to buy and install something next week, my front running exhaust was the exige s2 as I thought it to be quieter than the universal s2.

For comparison, I drove VW busses with a cheapie thrush turbo mufflers and no headliners over 150,000 miles-eek-, 75,000 of which included straight cut gear whine from reduction boxes thrumming through the whole car, so my standards for noise may be higher than others:crazyeyes: I'd guess the noise was 85-90Db depending on which bus and what speed, and that was fine with me. Stereo was listenable, converations were in a raised voice.

I want scream when you punch it:evil::evil::evil:, liveable on the highway and in town.:cool::cool::cool:

So, able to have a conversation, officers don't stare unless you hammer it, otherwise a banshee.

Sorry to go on and on, I just like typing about cars...

peas,

gm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts