The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I live on an island(kauai) with no lotus dealership, so in order to do the 1000mile service I would need to pay to have the car shipped(which I am totally paranoid about to begin with)... however since I know I am not gonna be able to keep myself from using launch control(and voiding the powertrain warranty after breakin) is it even worth it? I can do the service myself and just not have the ecu dump

am I missing something important?

·
Registered
431 Posts
So warranty in general really doesn't matter to you because of shipping? In that case, drive like you stole it :shift:

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,396 Posts
I have read on here that others with '08 240s are not getting dumps (dealer doesn't have equipment to do it) and its not needed for the 1000 mile checkup. Perhaps you can ask them if another ASE certified place or something can follow their directions and sign off on it?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Lotus is still working (I hope) on the Vista compatible program for S240.... so no dump available even at the dealership...
Just bringing it to a reputable shop would be enough for now.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Yeah I would think this would be a difficult sell in the near future (when the warranty would still normally apply). There have been threads on here where sales have fallen through when ECU printouts couldn't be obtained or when only a partial history exists.

Lotus voids the warranty because of the shock this feature does to the drivetrain - especially over time. These cars just aren't meant for this. Launch Control is truely a goofy feature. These cars aren't supposed to be drag racers. I have no idea what someone was thinking by adding this to the car - except that Ferrari and others have it now. Regardless, I would think twice about buying such a car that has engaged launch control repeatedly --- even occassionally.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yeah I would think this would be a difficult sell in the near future (when the warranty would still normally apply). There have been threads on here where sales have fallen through when ECU printouts couldn't be obtained or when only a partial history exists.

Lotus voids the warranty because of the shock this feature does to the drivetrain - especially over time. These cars just aren't meant for this. Launch Control is truely a goofy feature. These cars aren't supposed to be drag racers. I have no idea what someone was thinking by adding this to the car - except that Ferrari and others have it now. Regardless, I would think twice about buying such a car that has engaged launch control repeatedly --- even occassionally.
+1 and you know if you post it on LT for sale, someone will eventually call you out on it. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think people are gonna launch their cars with or without launch control... I think its foolish to think otherwise of a sports car but I highly doubt I would sell it anyways

so I guess I just wont sweat the drive train warranty:shrug:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think people are gonna launch their cars with or without launch control... I think its foolish to think otherwise of a sports car but I highly doubt I would sell it anyways

so I guess I just wont sweat the drive train warranty:shrug:
You'd be surprise how many sports car owners actually baby their cars but hey, to each their own, life's too short :coolnana: and like I said earlier...."drive it like you stole it" :shift: :D :evil:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'd be surprise how many sports car owners actually baby their cars but hey, to each their own, life's too short :coolnana: and like I said earlier...."drive it like you stole it" :shift: :D :evil:
well Im not one of those people who buys toys and leaves em in the package to hold value... I know this is a hole to piss money into, not an investment... plus if I wanted a pretty car to just look at but not drive all the time I like the look of the elise better :p

but this is the hole I've wanted to piss money into since I was like 12 years old... and nothing is gonna stop me now :cool:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lotus is still working (I hope) on the Vista compatible program for S240.... so no dump available even at the dealership...
Just bringing it to a reputable shop would be enough for now.
My dealer dumped my S 240 data in the end of May and gave me a copy of the printout - dealers that have the right stuff can do it - john.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts