The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Thank you in advance for considering this post.

I've managed to piece together that I believe there is a mouse that has moved into my lotus.
1. Small bits of insulation have popped out of the upper air vent going to the windshield
2. Additional bits of insulation are coming out near the feet area air vents.
3. No insulation bits are coming out of the air vents on the dash

For a few months, the tiny bits of insulation have been a source of confusion "where did that come from...?"
This morning on my drive in, I noticed a smell, that reminded me exactly of the mice that were under our sink in our house.

Same smell, and insulation. MOUSE!

I've yet to pull the dash apart seeking to extract the mouse's home.
Given the above info, where do you think I should begin removing interior panels to track this down?
Or, Do you think I'll need to pull the front clam?

Again, Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
pull the sill panels out
Only takes a minute and this is a main mouse highway in

remove the front access panels and see what you can see around the heater unit

If you have not yet removed the recirc panel covers, do this now. you can then see into the recirc area and see if there is a mouse nest there

IF you do not see anything around the heater or through the holes in the recirc area, they may just be behind the dash.
Remove the radio and the steering column shroud and see what you can see behind the dash

·
Super Moderator
722 Posts
Get him before they get family in there and do to your car like the one that was "totaled" earlier this year.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Catsailr is right. Time to set traps in your garage and home too. We had more rain than usual several years ago and the mouse population in the area soared. We set traps in our garage, attic, bedrooms and kitchen. They can squeeze through an opening the size of a dime.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Set a mouse trap or two or three in the car. Some velcro on the bottom to hold it to the carpet, stickum tape, etc. They make one that has a bar that sticks up and the bait is in a little covered box. Easier to use in the car. I live in the woods, so I've had to deal with this. At least you don't have squirrels. Well, I don't have many anymore, after the GWoS (Global War on Squirrels) started.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
662 Posts
Most effective: Poisonous bait blocks, sticky traps with a little bait in the middle (peanut butter), known-talented mouser cat sleeping in your garage. Electric traps may be this good as well, but I doubt it.

Next most effective: the little gravity op victor live catch traps. A little peanut butter in the far end of the box will get a mouse if there's one to be got. The down side is that you really need to check the traps every single day until you know you've gotten all the mice. Pop it in the freezer overnight if the lid is down, then eject the contents into the compost pile or woods the next day. Rinse, bait and repeat.

Can be good: A traditional snap trap nailed/screwed to a chunk of 2x4 to keep it from flying around when it trips. Two on a 2' board is good. Many of the newer traps have excessively high actuation pressure and don't get the smaller/sneakier mice - maybe meant for rats? You also need to do the wire trick to the treadle. Peanut butter for bait. A 5 gal bucket water & roller trap.

Regardless of which of these you do you'll have to remove the remains of the mouse nest from the car, which is guaranteed to be a pain. If you've been considering a front clam off operation, now would be a good time.

·
Super Moderator
722 Posts
I have my little helpers keep the mice at bay although every now and then they get where they're not supposed to be.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
My previous thread on the subject

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
662 Posts
@Catsailr27 I'm sure the snakes do a great job in the heated part of the house. Peak mouse problem for me is fall and early winter - they are trying to put on fat and move in someplace warm for the winter. I don't heat my garage, so I doubt even such a handsome snake as the two you picture would do a lot of good when it gets near freezing.

Squeak the elderly gray tabby mouser is my solution, although this spring I had to start keeping the shower cap on the car to keep him from leaving fur all over the soft top (upholstery brush on vacuum cleaner was required) and paw prints on the windshield.

I generally buy a bag of tomcat branded bait blocks from Tractor Supply or a home improvement store and put them in the sheds, parts cars, etc. I've had to clean mouse nests out of mowers and vehicle engine bays several times. One memorable time I was doing an intake manifold swap on the 4.6 Modular in the Grand Marquis and discovered a mouse nest on the valley cover when I removed the old manifold...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use those tomcat bait blocks in the pet resistant containers. But if you have them in the car already, you don't want them dying in the HVAC system. Trust me on that. So, mechanical traps until clear, then the bait blocks scattered around.

·
Super Moderator
722 Posts
I was being funny and serious with the snakes. We live in heavy woods on the water at the edge of the swamp so you learn to live with not fight mother nature. The Lotus sits in climate control and the mice are more attracted to the pantry and warmth of the great room and wood stove in cooler months that the snakes aren't active. I hear the one or two a year we get or the dog alerts and just use a trap. I will never use poison bait again after a couple died in the walls and under inaccessible areas of remodels I've done in the past with putrid results. Squirrels and raccoons can be more of a problem annually than the mice and I have my ways of dealing with them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts