The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to Lotus, the '08 Exige S240 has "uprated brake pads" front and rear (to go with the A.P. Racing 4-piston calipers and 308mm discs in front). Anyone know what the compound of these pads is, exactly?

Again according to Lotus, the 240R and Cup cars came with "Motorsport" brake pads. Were those Pagid RS-14's? FWIW, the Pagid UK web site indicates that the RS-14's are the Lotus OEM "upgraded track day pad".

So my guess is that the S240 gets the RS-14's too, but it would be good to know for sure.

TIA,

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Lotus Sport AP Racing Brake Kit ships with the Pagid RS14 pads and the S240 comes with this same brake kit fitted so yes...

·
Registered
723 Posts
...and they are NOT street pads! :eek:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, that's good to know.

To dmh, I understand why you say they're not street pads, but my *limited* experience (1k miles) with these pads on my S240 has been that they are very usable on the street. Unlike other "race pads" I've used (on my Miata with Wilwood brakes), they have plenty of bite when cold, and they rarely squeak. The friction coefficient is a bit high for a street pad, and they're a little rough on the rotors, but overall not bad. Best part is, I don't have to swap (and bed) the pads for track days.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thanks all, that's good to know.

To dmh, I understand why you say they're not street pads, but my *limited* experience (1k miles) with these pads on my S240 has been that they are very usable on the street. Unlike other "race pads" I've used (on my Miata with Wilwood brakes), they have plenty of bite when cold, and they rarely squeak. The friction coefficient is a bit high for a street pad, and they're a little rough on the rotors, but overall not bad. Best part is, I don't have to swap (and bed) the pads for track days.
...like when it is 32* F?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...like when it is 32* F?
You're right, winter is another matter. I could put stock "standard" OEM pads in the rear, but do you know what options are available for the AP Racing front calipers?

TIA,

·
Registered
723 Posts
You're right, winter is another matter. I could put stock "standard" OEM pads in the rear, but do you know what options are available for the AP Racing front calipers?

TIA,
Yes, Ferodo 2500 and Pagid Blue are good choices for all-around performance.
Ferodo 3000, Pagid Black and Grey/Gray , and Raybestos ST-43 are for more serious track use.
Interestingly, :shrug: I sell them all! :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume the Pagid blues are the RS 4-2's (carbon), not the RS5's (ceramic), right? What's the composition of the Ferodo 2500's?

The reason I ask is, it'd be nice not to have to change rotors too, when changing the pads, which I could probably avoid if I stuck with a pad composition that's more similar to the RS-14 (ceramic). The other option is to have a set of winter pads and rotors, which isn't such a bad option either since rotors wear out sooner or later anyway.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
723 Posts
I assume the Pagid blues are the RS 4-2's (carbon), not the RS5's (ceramic), right? What's the composition of the Ferodo 2500's?

The reason I ask is, it'd be nice not to have to change rotors too, when changing the pads, which I could probably avoid if I stuck with a pad composition that's more similar to the RS-14 (ceramic). The other option is to have a set of winter pads and rotors, which isn't such a bad option either since rotors wear out sooner or later anyway.

Thanks again,
The 2500 resin (phenolic) is organic.
The 2500s and Pagid Blues make for a great all-around pad.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,395 Posts
As said above, the Pagid RS-14 pads are the OEM pads on '08 240s. There are some threads that talk about squeaking but during the life of my original pads I never heard one peep out of them (both track and street driving). They were broken in per procedures. They performed awesomely, I loved them!! Ahem...and they are expensive ;) we need a group buy!

Anyway, maybe I can answer this myself when I finally do it, but my shop manual has no AP/Lotus Sport Racing 308mm (stock front calipers on the '08 240) instructions. Anyone have any or will it be self explanatory when I take a closer look at them to change the pads?

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,395 Posts
Thanks to Sandsmuseum for a couple of tips!

The AP calipers were super easy... two pins and you are done. Don't forget to bleed both sides of the caliper (outside first).

So far have only driven about 30min after I bedded them. Again no squeaks for me (so far)!

Almost forgot to mention, I also had to sand down the pads a little, there is no way the pads would have fit in otherwise.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Pagid 14s need to be bedded in per the Pagid instructions. If you think you are smarter than Pagid (like I did), you will be bummed when your brakes don't bed in correctly (and squeek like crazy). Follow their guidance and you will be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts