The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I've done it.

Get the parts, come down to Austin and I'll do it for you. We can then go for a fun drive in the hill country with the tops off our cars.

:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've done it.

Get the parts, come down to Austin and I'll do it for you. We can then go for a fun drive in the hill country with the tops off our cars.

RICHS,

I would like to make the mod to my 07 Exige S. What parts do I need and is there a step-by-step on this whole thing?

T

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
RICHS,

I would like to make the mod to my 07 Exige S. What parts do I need and is there a step-by-step on this whole thing?

T

Check this thread, has pix.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27090&highlight=soft+conversion

BUT double check the measurements on the roll bar area very carefully. When I did mine I don't think the distance in from the edge was the same as what this person measured.

Just be aware that this restricts somewhat the air that will get into your intercooler when running with the top off. Nobody has reported any problems, but it's good to know.

Measure three times, cut once.

·
Registered
2006 Exige
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RICHS,

T
exact question i was going to ask

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27090&highlight=soft+conversion

BUT double check the measurements on the roll bar area very carefully. When I did mine I don't think the distance in from the edge was the same as what this person measured.

Just be aware that this restricts somewhat the air that will get into your intercooler when running with the top off. Nobody has reported any problems, but it's good to know.

hmmm... so it can be different for each car? that sucks

that happened because he did a soft top conversion?

Don't you need a soft top?
yep, know of one for sale ;)

I've done it.

that sounds great. i'm in austin every now and then. i'll have to look into what other parts i need and see if time permits. if not, maybe i can find someone local

·
Registered
2006 Exige
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

good advice... thanks

i've seen that thread with those pictures... and the cutting part just looks scary. i've never messed with those tools so i wouldn't trust myself with it, especially on my lotus. i'll chop away on my civic if i needed to.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
good advice... thanks

i've seen that thread with those pictures... and the cutting part just looks scary. i've never messed with those tools so i wouldn't trust myself with it, especially on my lotus. i'll chop away on my civic if i needed to.
I did it (in San Antonio). It really wasn't very hard, and worst case, if you screw up, just leave the hardtop on and you wont see the area that you messed up. :p

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
It's pretty easy. I used a simple Dremel to do mine.

The parts are very easy to get. Charlie over at Lotus of Austin can get them for you.

·
Registered
2006 Exige
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just called overseas... the parts guy didn't know what parts i would need...

any chance someone knows the part numbers of the items i'll need.

he said whatever it is, it's something that i'll probably have to special order. GREAT

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
just called overseas... the parts guy didn't know what parts i would need...

any chance someone knows the part numbers of the items i'll need.

he said whatever it is, it's something that i'll probably have to special order. GREAT

Call John in parts at Fox Valley Motor Cars. You will need an Elise soft top and the two support bars.

You will then need two 'grommet's and spacers (although you can install w/out spacers) to install into the rolll hoop. The corresponding grommets are already in the windshield loop on your exige.

Look for a used top w/bars, if you're patient you can get one for around $500. The grommets might be $15 total.

Thats all you need.

·
Registered
2006 Exige
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Call John in parts at Fox Valley Motor Cars. You will need an Elise soft top and the two support bars.

You will then need two 'grommet's and spacers (although you can install w/out spacers) to install into the rolll hoop. The corresponding grommets are already in the windshield loop on your exige.

Look for a used top w/bars, if you're patient you can get one for around $500. The grommets might be $15 total.

Thats all you need.
maybe he'll be able to tell me what i need from here. since overseas is local

the guy faxed me a diagram of the soft top for the elise with all the pieces numbered.

and he wrote me up a quote, the quote came out to 67.47 after tax

1 x a116b0184f $15.73
1 x a116b0183f $15.10
2 x a116b0182f s $10.74*2
2 x b117b0480k s $5.01*2

looks to be 6 pieces.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts