The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just yesterday I noticed that the trunk of my Exige smelled like oil. Upon closer inspection I did find some oil coming off of the oil line around the fitting that goes to the accusump. It so happens I went to a track event with the car on Wednesday; I'm not sure if that is the cause as I have always gotten a slight oil smell in the trunk, but it does seem more pronounced now.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is this something Lotus would likely cover under warranty?

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Mine smells like oil in the trunk too, and it seems stronger at times. I had a bit underneath the line going into it when I first bought the car, but they had just changed the filter and no more seems to have shown up. Not to say that it's ok, just that mine is similar.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad to see others are also experiencing this issue (although that unfortunately speaks poorly to the design/build of the car).

I ended up taking the car in to the dealership since I have some warranty left on it. Preliminary result is that they aren't seeing an obvious oil leak, but they did ask me if I had put things in the trunk as there seems to be a bleeder valve for releasing oil somewhere on the unit that may have been activated by an object sliding around (I had never noticed this but they'll get back to me to let me know where it is exactly). I rarely put anything in the trunk and when I do it's pretty large/light stuff; I have also always smelled oil since I got the car, so my guess is that that's not the cause. They are still looking into it and I'll update the thread once they do or do not find something conclusive.

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
My first Cup car (2006 Cup240) was delivered with a trunk full of oil ... the accusump fittings were loose especially the one near the pressure release valve. Since the canister is under pressure, every time the transport would hit a bump, a little spray of oil would result when the pressure was released. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I can't seem to resolve the issue with the accusump leaking every once in a while. I've taken it to the dealership and essentially am told I have 3 options:

(1) Fix the leak on the accusump again (which will probably start leaking again in less than a year's time) (least expensive).
(2) Remove the accusump and create a custom connector piece on the oil line to close the loop where the accusump line currently joins up with the main line (relatively expensive).
(3) Remove the accusump and replace the entire oil line running the length of the car, essentially reverting the oil line situation to the set up of any other regular Exige/Elise without the accusump (very expensive).

Since my original post, I have installed a baffled oil pan, so from my understanding the accusump is more-or-less redundant. I was really hoping to keep the car stock, but this accusump is such an annoying point of failure, I am quite inclined to remove it and be done with it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what approach to take? Is option (3) really the only fix that is truly reliable, or would (2) work OK? Anyone else have experience removing the accusump?

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
The oil lines running the length of the car have nothing to do with the Accusump system (yes the line taps into them)...they are for the oil coolers in the front of the car. There is an oil line recall. Has that been accomplished on your car? If the leak is from the line/connector interface (under the clamp), it is covered by the oil line recall. That was where mine was leaking, but in the engine compartment and it was covered.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Mine leaks every other year. I replace the valve and it stops. When it first started leaking I was also told that something had hit the pressure release. I had a custom metal cover built to prevent that from happening but it still leaked. The valve is the issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@HKFEVER: The leak is coming from the valve.

@<@¿@>: I think the dealership's point in replacing the oil line that goes to the oil coolers is to do a "proper" removal of the accusump oil loop, such that there is no tap left on the oil cooler line (and thus no potential for an oil leak later on).

@Certified Lotus: Is there perhaps an aftermarket valve that may be of higher quality/last longer than the stock one? If I keep the accusump, I want to try avoid having this be a regular maintenance item.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I recently noticed an oil smell and slight leak from the emergency pressure relief valve as well when I was fiddling around changing the pressure switch (the most common failure point on the accusump).

It looked as if someone in the past had attempted to reseal the valve with a puddy type of thread sealant (the manual states to just use Teflon tape). I nipped up the valve another 1/8 turn and although the smell remains somewhat, it hasn't leaked since.

My advice, as long as it's not forming puddles in your boot carpet and the system is holding the set pre charge, I wouldn't worry about it.

My qiestion is with regards to the accusump filter:

1) how often should this filter be replaced?
2) where is the filter located??

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
My leaks are always from the valve. I haven't found a better solution than to just replace every other year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts