The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was talking to Jim Simpson of Simpson Designs, and he expressed interest in developing products for the Elise. Those of you who have Miata experience may recognize Jim as the developer of the Italia conversion and other accessories for the Miata.

Anyway, I suggested a new hardtop design that would replace a couple of panels on the Elise (hardtop, rollbar cover, trunklid) and convert the rear of the Elise into a fastback. The result should be better "Exige like" aerodynamics for the Fed Elise without having to buy a whole new rear clamshell from the Euro Exige. A roof scoop could also be added providing the same functionality as found on the Exige. The cool thing is, if designed properly, the hardtop could also be removed just like any other hardtop should you want to go topless.

The result? You can have your cake and eat it too. A convertible "Exige". Just an idea...

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I have a simpson hood on my Monster Miata. Fit and Finish were ok I suppose. Lord knows what he would want for such a kit?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno. It's just an idea we threw around on the phone so far...

I figure that if there's an interest and people ask him about it, he may produce a kit. He has all the materials, expertise, and facilities to do so.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You need a whole new rear clam to make this happen and actually look halfway decent.

Not sure why you would want to make the Elise a $55K-$60K car......

·
Registered
345 Posts
Already working on it for the Odin and Thor models we are doing. It will be many, many thousands of dollars less than the other wide body kit on the market and provide the Sport Exige looks for the car in carbon fiber. Roof snorkel and all.:)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
OK Brett I am fully confused - this Odin and Thor stuff - these are not body kits and engine mods - you are building a car ground up on an Elise frame - kinda like an Esthi but on an even grander scale?

Are you saying you are also making a body kit for those who already have an elise? Now I am seriously considering not buying carbon fiber side scoops, front splitter, rear diffuser, etc if you have a full body kit coming.

Me and my brother have exiges on deposit, but are considering cancelling them if you have some kind of body kit coming for us existing elise owners...Even if it meant giving up having a convertible...to have a body like the Sport Exige :drool: :drool: :drool:

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Donovan said:
OK Brett I am fully confused - this Odin and Thor stuff - these are not body kits and engine mods - you are building a car ground up on an Elise frame - kinda like an Esthi but on an even grander scale?

/
I am confused about the Thor stuff aswell. He has it listed as a car and intake manifold and throttle body? I'm lost. rotfl

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
But even though you are working on a complete car, you are still making the Exige/fastback elise kit, or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
162 Posts
But the roof does come off from an Exige (and will probably fit an Elise). The Lotus Importer in Amsterdam showed me yesterday how he was converting the Exiges to fit the soft-top from the Elise.

Buy the Exige and use it as an Elise is my suggestion.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Exige is 10k more plus another 15k dealer markup, as there are only 300 comming to the country. Thats 25 grand man.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Agent ONE said:
Exige is 10k more plus another 15k dealer markup, as there are only 300 comming to the country. Thats 25 grand man.
you should check your facts. After accounting for options the exige is about 3-4K more than a comparable elise (sport pack, hardtop etc.) and a lot of us on the board are buying without any markup. I fully intend to use my exige as an elise with a soft-top... all it takes is drilling four small holes to fit the crossmembers of the soft-top.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
afborroni said:
you should check your facts. After accounting for options the exige is about 3-4K more than a comparable elise (sport pack, hardtop etc.) and a lot of us on the board are buying without any markup. I fully intend to use my exige as an elise with a soft-top... all it takes is drilling four small holes to fit the crossmembers of the soft-top.
Would they all be accounted for by now anyway. I dunno, I spoke with one of the managers at SF Lotus, perhaps I have been given bad information. It doesn't matter anyway, as all I really want is the fast back w/out the sopiler... Wings are for planes.

Edit in:

I just "checked my facts" and it seems the markup is debatable, but its not gonna be a 3-4k difference much closer to 8-10, and like I said, all I want is the badass roof/fastback engine cover.

·
Registered
643 Posts
rijk365gtb4 said:
But the roof does come off from an Exige (and will probably fit an Elise). The Lotus Importer in Amsterdam showed me yesterday how he was converting the Exiges to fit the soft-top from the Elise.

Buy the Exige and use it as an Elise is my suggestion.
The roof on the Exige is fitted exactly the same as a hardtop on an Elise. However, the Exige is not finished/painted where the hardtop fits in, so if you remove the top it'll look bad.

Agent ONE, I believe what Alex was referring to was that Elise price + hardtop + sport pack + ~$3k = Exige price. Comparing the Elise's base price to the Exige's base price isn't fair, since the Exige comes standard with the sport pack and a hard top.

Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts