The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can't go wrong with the new Exige in Ardent Red..tha colour is HOT....Test Drove the Elise today it wha Chrome Orange and i was blown awey......the elise is ebit faster ( Exige 0-60 5.2 0-100 13.5 top speed 147MPH) but in the corners was fenomenal and that looks OHHH the looks :bow:

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
shay2nak said:
Cool!

when is this damn car coming here! :p
Fall, 2006

:)

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
excuse me if its a stupid question, but whats the big difference between the exige and the elise??
i thought the elise is faster/better?

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
evomind said:
excuse me if its a stupid question, but whats the big difference between the exige and the elise??
i thought the elise is faster/better?
The difference is mainly the additional aero stuff. Otherwise it's virtually identical to a LSS Elise.

Randy
the exige is really coming here in fall 2006 with the same body design?

thanks

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
shay2nak said:
The difference is mainly the additional aero stuff. Otherwise it's virtually identical to a LSS Elise.
It was stated that in order to bring the Exige over to the US, it would have to be different than what is being offered in the UK now. More power, at least as an option is what I would expect.

I was joking about the date, but I would not be surprised to see an Exige coming over in the next two years.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I'm sure Lotus wouldn't consider bringing it over unless it 220 or more hp.

Still bet the price target will be mid-60, not sure how many they can sell at that price. Original exige was a hard sell in rest of world. Although the s2 exige is far more civilized than the first exige.

Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lotus is working on a Supercharger for the Elise/Exige and my dealer told mwe that is going to be standard on the exige and opional on the elise...is going to offer around 250BHP 0-60 4sec and 160MPH top for the Exige and in Europe is going to cost 7000 English pounds with the complete motorsport pack ( Racing seats plus harnes,Sport Exhaust, LSS nd more)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Differences Elise vs Exige

In addition to some aero improvement contributing to a higher top-end speed, the big difference between the cars is that the fully enclosed body of the Exige significantly improves the overall chassis stiffness of the car compared to the open Elise. The stiffness improvment is at least 10%, and it greatly enhances the stability of the chassis in transient situations (i.e., road course handling). In a head-to-head comparison at Brands Hatch in the UK (a very tight circuit), the Exige lap times were 1.2s quicker (out of about a total of 55s) than those of the 111R (Federal) Elise.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Joel,
Sounds like you are referencing the Autocar test. However, seeing how the the S2 Exige is basically a 111R with sport package and hardtop, how much do you think that downforce is helping?

It seems like the hardtop would be a non-structural piece, bit I suppose it could help in some form. Not a stress engineer. I bet most of the gap between the two cars is down to tires.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yes, I am using the Autocar test for data, and I am a mechanical engineer. Downforce improvements on the Exige are most likely "in the noise" until you get near the max speed of the car, and that never happens on circuits this tight. It's all about transients on short courses. You may be confusing the aftermarket Exige-look package available for the Elise with the real thing. The Exige body is a fully enclosed coupe that has no removable parts so it is fundamentally much stiffer in torsion than an open-top Elise. When you couple that body to the pretty stiff Al tub both cars are built on, the combination makes the Exige noticeably more rigid and therefore more capable (although perhaps less forgiving as pointed out in the Autocar writeup).

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Hi Joel,
There have been various reports (and photographs) of Exiges with their tops taken off, which leads me to believe that the S2 Exige is merely an Elise with a hardtop bolted on without the intention of it being removable. There doesn't seem to be much structural bolstering besides this "bolt-on" and thus I wonder if the S2 Exige and Elise w/ hardtop have the same integrity. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures for you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts