The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just bought an exige s 240 it has the factory forged rims and some stock A048 tires that only have 1500 street miles on them... I want to make up a "street set" so I can keep these rims and tires for Hpde events only.

So for a summer tire with some occasional wet street driving I was thinking the Dunlop ZII starspec 205/50/16. Says od of tire is 24.1". Stock is 23.6 w the 195/50/16 tires. Will these rub?
And 225/45/17 for rear seems to be spot on diameter wise.

Then the wheels I was thinking the team dynamics. 16x7 +30 fronts
And the 17x8 +38 rears

Anybody drive the newer gen ZII ?Seen a few reviews head to head with old gen mad seems to have better wet and dry over the old

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
this is discussed all over the place, 205/50 up front is going to rub, some people run them anyway... recommend you peruse the suspension forum

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or should I go with the regular dz101 because they have the 195/50/16 that's closer to stock Exige fronts.. I don't want them to rub...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Consider Toyo R888's for your street tire, they're a great match for the Exige on the street and available in stock sizes.

I ran Bridgestone RE-01's back when I had my Elise in 205/45-17 and 235/40-17; that was a good combo, but in retrospect I gave up too much grip going that far down the food chain.

·
Registered
831 Posts
What about the Toyo R1R's? One size wider but most all seemed to agree they worked well as an aggressive street tire that's not bad in the rain too?

I'm actually thinking about that too for an extra set of street wheels. Any recent experience that way?

·
Registered
64 Posts
For my street set I use Kumho Ecsta XS 215/45/16 and 245/40/17 on TD 1.4 wheels. Fronts are the same diameter as stock size and the rears are pretty close. I'm happy with these as a street tire. Never had any rubbing. Haven't had a chance to drive with them in the rain at all though, so can't comment on that. They should be very similar to the Dunlops for dry and wet use. I might try those ZII's next so I have something to compare these to.

I've actually used BFG R1s in 205/55/16 up front a bunch, which are a 24.5" diameter. That's about as tall as I'd go though. No rubbing at all at the track, but a lot of it has to do with your suspension/wheel setup as well.

Toyo R1Rs seem like a good option too. I bought my car with those on it, but they were near the end of their life, so I can't write a fair review.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I cannot see a difference between your good wheels and you not so good ones other than tire compound.

Another option is to run a narrower factory rim, and narrower tires, which would work better in the wet.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guy at tire rack told me to run Yoko's S drive tire Says run 205/45/16 in front and they would be just about same diameter as stock exige and rears they have the same. 100 buck a tire. Have AA traction same as stock. With a 300 wear rating look good on paper..

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I run General AS-03 in OEM sizes on my Exige on the street. They are inexpensive, quiet, evacuate rain like crazy, and provide far more grip than you'll need if you keep your street driving within the realm of sanity. I highly recommend the Generals (by the way, Generals are US brand for Continental, and the AS-03s are manufactured in Germany).

For track I run Toyo 888s also in OEM sizes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts