The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
NOthing wrong with the post. Too much car for street use anyway!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
how is 345HP to much for the street? in the land of 1200 HP sports cars, +300 HP minivans and family sedans..... 180whp+ sportbikes.... how is 345 HP & 2400 lbs to much?

To me it seems like a excellent combination for the streets over here.... like the reviews state GT3 level of performance

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
ps - would the officer that pulled you over know it wasn't a 2009 exige?

why not just claim its an older model?
Cops don't ask for registration/insurance info during a stop in your state? They don't run the plates?

As long as you've conned your MVA/DMV (which is frowned upon) to mis-register your car, I suppose you could pull it off.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
so many threads about how its a federal crime, even if the state doesn't catch (or care) about you....

no federal VIN? no way to legally put it on the road in the US. swapping vins is a federal crime, btw... (even if a state doesn't care or catch it).

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
how is 345HP to much for the street? in the land of 1200 HP sports cars, +300 HP minivans and family sedans..... 180whp+ sportbikes.... how is 345 HP & 2400 lbs to much?

To me it seems like a excellent combination for the streets over here.... like the reviews state GT3 level of performance
LOL!! I Think I'll pass and get a mere 430HP GTR instead...

·
Registered
377 Posts
V6 Exige,345 BHP, pushing 2,380 lbs + lets say 200 lb driver.
It would be the same power to weight of an Elise, 2000 lb + same fat driver, with 294 BHP, or approximately 258 RWHP (using 12% loss). Not scary power. Why can't they go ahead and get the 440 BHP motor that is on the Evora GX? Different motor size, I guess.

Just for a weird numbers-only comparison, the Camaro ZL1 at 4096lbs has 580 HP, dyno says 500, and did 1.03G on Edmunds skid pad. Oddly similar power to weight as the new V6 or a modified Elise.

The new Exige suspension upgrades are supposedly phenomenal. Lotus has made a great car by adding the cage and safety features, smarter grip, plus a lot better aero. Awesome car, that I may want to own someday. I'll keep tinkering with my Elise until the V6 model matures, is street legal, and I am somehow able to justify spending that much on a car.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
The majority of hyper HP cars on the road are driven by PROFOUNDLY unqualified talent. With a V6 Exige and no nannies to save your ass, its asking for death on a public street. There are a handful of us out there that have enough track experience to validate driving that car. Its not about numbers its what it can do!! There is a reason why so many of these hyper HP cars are getting totalled and thus driving insurance rates thru the roof!!

See it happen far too often these days. TC and DSC etc are making folks feel invincible! Physics, ultimately, always wins

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
+1 to brg...

my d.d. is a bmw 328, people allways ask whay i didn't get the 335 or m, or you kidding? its a d.d !!! the 328 is already faster than any car on the road need be. i am sure i can outrun most 70's era exotic sports car.... and they were fast. people have a warped sense of street cars and performance. give the masses scions i say!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
wouldn't it not be a worse crime to not see these beauties on the road?

;-)
beauties? certainly your optometrist should be prosecuted...

:p

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
V6 Exige,345 BHP, pushing 2,380 lbs + lets say 200 lb driver.
It would be the same power to weight of an Elise, 2000 lb + same fat driver, with 294 BHP, or approximately 258 RWHP (using 12% loss). Not scary power. .

"This is our concern dude" (The Big Lebowski)
Couldn't you just take the Elige ($27k used+/-) throw a REV400 TVS blower in there - $10k +/-. You get 350 BHP , 305 Wheel hp.....in your ELIGE for $37k, on a stock motor, for a little more than a third of the Exiges price - and it will kick it's azz??? Or atleast hold its own?
If you keep the cat in the street Elige you still get 294 WHP, much more than the V6. I mean come on, are you just trying to throw money away? Phil & Andrew just installed a REV400 in an Elise with 115k miles on the odometer, tracked and street. Let me repeat that. 115,000 miles. The car makes 350 BHP on a well used stock motor!!! It SCREAMS! It's cat deleted. My street car makes 336 BHP w/ the stock cat still in the exhaust chain. Crazy. Amazing cars for "cheap" (not really, but alot cheaper than that Exige)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
"This is our concern dude" (The Big Lebowski)
Couldn't you just take the Elige ($27k used+/-) throw a REV400 TVS blower in there - $10k +/-. You get 350 BHP , 305 Wheel hp.....in your ELIGE for $37k, a little more than a third of the Exiges price - and it will kick it's azz??? Or atleast hold its own?
If you keep the cat in the street Elige you still get 294 WHP, much more than the V6. I mean come on, are you just trying to throw money away? Phil & Andrew just installed a REV400 in an Elise with 115k miles on the odometer, tracked and street. The car makes 350 BHP on a well used stock motor!!! It's cat deleted.
while not apples to apples, i would agree this is a big part of the problem - its STILL the same car. same chassis, interior even 1/2 the bodywork is the same as an 05 elise, same car! just updated clams on the front and rear, some side skirts, and an evora drivetrain.

now if its was an "all new" car... then the proposed alternative wouldn't be made so easy... and until its a new car, i don't really see a reason for lotus to (or even can) bring it into the US federalized.

so i see all this a minor footnote stuff...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would think one of the biggest improvements with the v6 isn't the extra hp but all the torque. Totally agree that rev400 would give similar or better hp numbers ..... But the tq would still be quite a bit less.

There are also numerous morons in SUVs and trucks who think they are insensible as well :(.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The majority of hyper HP cars on the road are driven by PROFOUNDLY unqualified talent. With a V6 Exige and no nannies to save your ass, its asking for death on a public street. There are a handful of us out there that have enough track experience to validate driving that car. Its not about numbers its what it can do!! There is a reason why so many of these hyper HP cars are getting totalled and thus driving insurance rates thru the roof!!

See it happen far too often these days. TC and DSC etc are making folks feel invincible! Physics, ultimately, always wins
The new V6 Exige apparently has some rather talented electronic nannies. Unless of course, the driver turns them all the way off..

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I would think one of the biggest improvements with the v6 isn't the extra hp but all the torque. Totally agree that rev400 would give similar or better hp numbers ..... But the tq would still be quite a bit less.

There are also numerous morons in SUVs and trucks who think they are insensible as well :(.
for nearly $100k, i'll stick with my "low torque" REV400.:)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
while not apples to apples, i would agree this is a big part of the problem - its STILL the same car. same chassis, interior even 1/2 the bodywork is the same as an 05 elise, same car! just updated clams on the front and rear, some side skirts, and an evora drivetrain.

now if its was an "all new" car... then the proposed alternative wouldn't be made so easy... and until its a new car, i don't really see a reason for lotus to (or even can) bring it into the US federalized.

so i see all this a minor footnote stuff...
This is not just your standard exige s with an evora drivetrain in it.

The chassis is not the same as the wheelbase has been lengthened, and I suspect the suspension geometry may have been changed as well. The car also has a very complex traction control system that helps it utilize the power in a much better fashion than our Eliges.

So it is not safe to say just slap a rev400 kit on an Exige s and you have the same thing. The OEM version is a much more complete package than just a little extra power. Also if you are comparing aftermarket stuff then its only fair to allow for upgrades on the new Exige s as well. It is also just a pulley swap and a tune away (maybe injectors) from quite a bit more power.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts