The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Well done. Good review. I especially found the Donnington segment interesting with how the car handled in rain and slip was controlled.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Scotty

much appreciated

I could ask what that was all about but I wouldn't understand the answer!

thanks all the same

If any of you were watching the Soccer the USA were awesome, they put our lazy billionaires to shame!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Nice review! 2011 Exige S260 owner here. I'm curious about traction control on the V6 Cup - does it have it? Does it work well in the dry, and in the wet?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
great review,

sad that we'll never appreciate the car the same way here in the states :mad:

·
Registered
261 Posts
What a great review, would love one of these...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks USA!

you're leading the way on the view count!

I really hope Lotus will find a way (and the funding) to get the Exige V6 federalised. Until then, the Evora is a great way to pass the time while you're waiting!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good question.

Nice review! 2011 Exige S260 owner here. I'm curious about traction control on the V6 Cup - does it have it? Does it work well in the dry, and in the wet?
It has a Bosch system that Lotus call DPM - Dynamic Performance Management. With a V6 Cup or V6S with race pack, you get 4 settings - Tour, Sport, Race and Off.

Tour is your full safety net. Understeer control, stability control, traction control. I won't allow slip angles at the back and can make individual use of the brakes to pull a sliding car back into line without the driver doing anything.

Sport allows rev limit to increase from 6800 to 7200 and a degree of slip angle at the rear. Still a stability control system (i.e. will use the brakes to prevent a spin).

Race is a pure traction control system and completely state of the art. It's very seamless in operation. You can barely feel it working. It measures grip levels and 'learns' the track. It can't stop a spin as it can only cut power to zero - lateral momentum can still get the better of it but it works beautifully, really impressive system. It's particularly helpful on a drying track as it can adjust to varying grip levels. It also works in the wet but when its really, really wet with standing water and suchlike 'sport' is better as it can prevent a spin. You know when it's time to switch to 'sport' when it cuts the power back to zero and the car is still sliding. The ultimate accolade for the system is that Lotus test drivers are now faster with the system on. That was never the case before.

Off is necessary for goofing about on a wet track, still the most fun mode of all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reply to Uncle Sam

At Silverstone I was filming the external stuff from my brother's 2012 Nissan GTR. I also passed a Caterham 7 and was following another Exige V6 Cup, also grey. So lots of grey cars!

At Donington I passed a Ruf CTR3. It had 740bhp (some say more) so was just taking it easy or I wouldn't have got past! You can see what happened after it had warmed up here:

VERY fast car, keep an eye on my left wing mirror. I'm pretty sure you can hear the JAWS music!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Lets start a Go Fund Me Page for Lotus to federalize the new Exige? :coolnana:
how many millions of $ would they need to develop & meet our safety regs for legalization?

f***in California :thwack:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, Bob. That is the car I meant and I thought it looked like a P car, but the slats on the back threw me off.

That's quite a deserted track day. Do track day cars ever get to do the extension at Donington? I've seen the track mostly from WSB racing on TV.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the quick response, Bob. That is the car I meant and I thought it looked like a P car, but the slats on the back threw me off.

That's quite a deserted track day. Do track day cars ever get to do the extension at Donington? I've seen the track mostly from WSB racing on TV.
Yes but track days use the shorter national circuit more often. Ayrton Senna's famous win in 1993 was the full circuit of course. The melbourne loop is just a 1st gear hairpin so many, myself included feel the 'national' circuit is just as good, if not slightly better.

It was deserted, most people go home when it really starts raining hard. That particular day was extreme, aquaplaning everywhere, the most slippery conditions I've ever driven.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts