The Lotus Cars Community banner
61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
So the fitment isn’t bad, but it’s definitely not bolt on which is to be expected. So far lots of cutting and repositioning to get it to lay right prior to any filling. The radiator shroud needed to be cut down a bit but the new shrouds look like that anyway. On a positive note the bolt holes under the access panel and where it connects to the fenders line up. Which is big relief! All the other mount points will need to be drilled.
the access cover fits pretty good as well. the brackets for the cover and the clam were not included. The cover brackets are around 200 from the dealer. As for the clam, the brackets that allow it to attach below the windshield Pillar (accessed when the door is open) are needed. I found these brackets as well but they’re not available from the dealer. Elise shop had them so they’re on order.
More to come

·
Administrator
8,356 Posts
They didn’t need much filling so I can use the bondo. If I have larger fitment issues I’ll use this stuff.

Yup been using the WEST products since 1979. I keep a five gal jug of 105 and use a wide variety of the fillers and additives. I overbought 406 for one project that never materialized and still have a sealed 10lb bag of it.

·
Administrator
8,356 Posts
I haven’t tried this brand yet, but the reviews are good and I want to ensure the quality.
I've used it as well for the winglets under my clam for a fast down and dirty repair. I've used short and long kitty hair with equal results depending on the particular situation I'm using it in. For all boatwork I use epoxy and make my own.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Need the brackets to adjust the gap. Also you can see how I cut the radiator shroud. I’ll need to make spacers to connect the clam to the front rad shroud mounts where the oil coolers are

·
Registered
163 Posts
The underneath needs to be cut away and redone. The clam is fitted with all the attach points except for the sides under the windshield. Still needs some sanding though. Went to fit the aluminum under the car panel with no luck. The bottom part of the clam angles up to much and puts Massive tension on the panel. So I’ll be fiberglassing that whole area to fit better.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Open to suggestions on what else to post concerning this clam install, any questions from those that are interested?

I finished the bodywork, the gaps and lines are good. Still waiting on the upper side brackets to make any further adjustments.
Also waiting on the attachment hardware for the access cover.
The clam has all the stock threaded attach points except for the top middle bracket with the 2 pain in the ass nuts. That bracket will be used to hold the access cover. The 2 attach points where the oil coolers go required pretty thick spacers that I had to fabricate. The attach points under the headlight buckets needed bigger spacers as well.

If anyone is interested I can post how the headlights are secured and wired up.

·
Administrator
8,356 Posts
You assembled it quickly! Looking good will be great to see completed!

·
Registered
609 Posts
That looks better than I thought it would. Great job. How difficult was it securing everything? Do you think any competent body shop could do it or is it one of those 'if you want it done right, do it yourself'? Lastly, don't the headlights just bolt on to the clam in the back?

61 - 80 of 129 Posts