The Lotus Cars Community banner
81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Administrator
8,283 Posts
When you bondoed around the headlights did you use something like peelply to keep the headlights free floating while you filled the gap? In other words so that headlight shell isn't bondoed to the body and able to be replaced if needed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That looks better than I thought it would. Great job. How difficult was it securing everything? Do you think any competent body shop could do it or is it one of those 'if you want it done right, do it yourself'? Lastly, don't the headlights just bolt on to the clam in the back?
Securing everything wasn’t bad. The clam to fender attach points lined up nice which was great. The 2 on the top did as well. The attach points under the lights and by the oil coolers needed to be drilled. The only major fabrication was the underside. The way it was molded would not allow the aluminum lower cover to be installed so I had to cut the fiberglass away and remold it to fit.
I think a shop you really trust could do it but it would definitely be expensive with all the filling, sanding and re fiberglass. For me it wasn’t too bad. The clam is a light and durable, really well made so I was able to remove it multiple times myself to get the proper fitment.

The headlights mounting holes has to be redrilled. And there is a considerable space between the bucket and the bottom of the headlight. I created spacers and used similar to a turnbuckle for them. I’m not sure how they fit on the factory one or the attach hardware. These don’t require anything specific like the top access cover does. So I fabricated it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
is the front now wider than the rear flair wise?? in some of the pictures it looks that way, but it could also just be a result of camera angles
No I think it’s actually slightly less wide. I have 5mm wheel spacers that fit perfect with the stock clam. With this one I need to go down to 3mm or none at all.
But this clam does make the car look totally different and appear bigger. I do know that It is longer than the stock one too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
When you bondoed around the headlights did you use something like peelply to keep the headlights free floating while you filled the gap? In other words so that headlight shell isn't bondoed to the body and able to be replaced if needed.
I used blue masking tape. Works perfect on every area that required filling. There’s a picture above that shows the process

·
Administrator
8,283 Posts
I used blue masking tape. Works perfect on every area that required filling. There’s a picture above that shows the process
I had seen the tape on the lens but was curious deeper in between the bucket and the headlight assembly but sounds like you may have taped that off as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had seen the tape on the lens but was curious deeper in between the bucket and the headlight assembly but sounds like you may have taped that off as well.
Yes I taped that as well, anywhere I didn’t want the filler to stick. I only taped the whole headlight assembly and installed it snug with the clam. After applying the filler any extra that impeded fitment I sanded away

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,882 Posts
No I think it’s actually slightly less wide. I have 5mm wheel spacers that fit perfect with the stock clam. With this one I need to go down to 3mm or none at all.
But this clam does make the car look totally different and appear bigger. I do know that It is longer than the stock one too.
Yea agreed it looks wider, and the front wheel well looks a lot longer too. Gives a funny look in front of the forward wheels.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yea and the front wheel well looks a lot longer too. Gives a funny look in front of the forward wheels.
Always a pleasure reading your comments…..
So negative, I bet you’re really fun to be around.
Anyway the stock clam in that area angles in and back a bit where this one goes straight down. I did measure the bottom and it’s close to even on the front and back.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Always a pleasure reading your comments…..
So negative, I bet you’re really fun to be around.
Anyway the stock clam in that area angles in and back a bit where this one goes straight down. I did measure the bottom and it’s close to even on the front and back.
You’re asking for comments so there ya go. Just making an observation. Someone said looks wider, which it does, and now it looks like the front caster is off cause the wheel isn’t centered in the well. Maybe get some thicker skin from HethelSport next time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not trolling, don’t get so butthurt about comments you asked for.
Open to suggestions on what else to post concerning this clam install, any questions from those that are interested?

This is what I said. how does your negativity fit into this category? This whole thread you’ve been nothing but negative from the very start. Firstly not even knowing what clam I was talking about before commenting. Then expressing your negative opinion on it. I get it, your opinion is different and your car build choice is too. Awesome, you do you and I’ll do what I want as well. Next time when I ask for the opinion of someone who has no interest in this build and is only here to talk **** feel free to chime in. Until then go away thanks

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Open to suggestions on what else to post concerning this clam install, any questions from those that are interested?

This is what I said. how does your negativity fit into this category? This whole thread you’ve been nothing but negative from the very start. Firstly not even knowing what clam I was talking about before commenting. Then expressing your negative opinion on it. I get it, your opinion is different and your car build choice is too. Awesome, you do you and I’ll do what I want as well. Next time when I ask for the opinion of someone who has no interest in this build and is only here to talk **** feel free to chime in. Until then go away thanks
How am I talking crap? I asked a relevant question and made a statement about the fit? Quit being so defensive and so butthurt, Good job on the install. If you can’t take a statement about the fit around the front wheels, then grow some thicker skin. I’m glad you have the deep pockets to afford such a clam swap vs insurance paying for it. Not many people would spend that much on something like this.

·
Registered
159 Posts
How am I talking crap? I asked a relevant question and made a statement about the fit? Quit being so defensive and so butthurt, Good job on the install. If you can’t take a statement about the fit around the front wheels, then grow some thicker skin. I’m glad you have the deep pockets to afford such a clam swap vs insurance paying for it. Not many people would spend that much on something like this.
Let’s take a trip down memory lane shall we….

Negative opinion and you didn’t even know what clam I was doing.

Same as before

Again not even knowing what clam but still acting like you know best….

You admitting you didn’t know what clam I was talking about before commenting

Finally after you caught up in the thread topic, and know the clam plus where I purchased it from. Obviously knowing the cost, asking this for what?

No you’re not, this comment is bs But your advise was good for once.

Icing on the cake…. I’m done with you.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Lol, that fact you had the time to search all that out is borderline insane. Have fun with your clam. I don’t see anywhere that I’ve been uninformative and or bashing you in anyway, but you’re welcome to your opinion, just like everyone else is. What it seems to me is you’re upset because someone had an opinion of what you’re doing, and it hurt your feelings, or you may be having some buyers remorse due to the cost of this project since you haven’t stated the numbers when I asked. I get it, it’s a large chunk of change for a cosmetic item, and if someone pointed out something, it’s only human to get a little defensive about it. is this something I would have done? Nope, especially if I had a perfectly decent clam already on the car. But each person is entitled to do whatever they want to their vehicle. You’re just taking everything way over the top and too defensive, but you’re entitled to do that as well.
I’ll end this here as you really are going off the wall about a simple comment about the wheel gap being funny looking. Enjoy your project, I hope it turns out well worth the cost.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Lol, that fact you had the time to search all that out is borderline insane. Have fun with your clam. I don’t see anywhere that I’ve been uninformative and or bashing you in anyway, but you’re welcome to your opinion, just like everyone else is. What it seems to me is you’re upset because someone had an opinion of what you’re doing, and it hurt your feelings, or you may be having some buyers remorse due to the cost of this project since you haven’t stated the numbers when I asked. I get it, it’s a large chunk of change for a cosmetic item, and if someone pointed out something, it’s only human to get a little defensive about it. is this something I would have done? Nope, especially if I had a perfectly decent clam already on the car. But each person is entitled to do whatever they want to their vehicle. You’re just taking everything way over the top and too defensive, but you’re entitled to do that as well.
I’ll end this here as you really are going off the wall about a simple comment about the wheel gap being funny looking. Enjoy your project, I hope it turns out well worth the cost.
Not to difficult to scroll up. Clam was 5500, I did the bodywork so minimal cost there (only supplies). I have a friend who already painted other parts of the car so that wont be too much as well. The wheel well doesn’t bother me and if it did thats an easy fix since I already worked the rest of the fitment.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Not to difficult to scroll up. Clam was 5500, I did the bodywork so minimal cost there (only supplies). I have a friend who already painted other parts of the car so that wont be too much as well. The wheel well doesn’t bother me and if it did thats an easy fix since I already worked the rest of the fitment.
Gotcha. My comment was in regards to the shape of the front. If you look at the rear it’s round. Just like the wheel shape. The front comes down to a vertical plane, IE it doesn’t follow the shape of the wheel. If you were to flip that over 180 it would create an oblong shape. That’s my observation and hence my “looks strange” comment. If you look at the rear of the V6 the rear clam also has this, so it matches. It’s just a cosmetic appearance difference noticed in your swap. Once you see it, you won’t unsee it.
Below ive filled in the “gap” I’m referring to.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
159 Posts
Gotcha. My comment was in regards to the shape of the front. If you look at the rear it’s round. Just like the wheel shape. The front comes down to a vertical plane, IE it doesn’t follow the shape of the wheel. If you were to flip that over 180 it would create an oblong shape. That’s my observation and hence my “looks strange” comment. If you look at the rear of the V6 the rear clam also has this, so it matches. It’s just a cosmetic appearance difference noticed in your swap. Once you see it, you won’t unsee it.
Below ive filled in the “gap” I’m referring to. View attachment 1298161
Yes I see it, but it’s not really noticeable in person. I think with the clam being primer exemplifies it. I can fairly easily bring it closer to the wheel

81 - 100 of 129 Posts