The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 06 Exige and it was recently involved in a front end collision :( So now I'm looking to replace the front clam, headlights, front drivers side suspension, and the front clip (frame) from the windshield forward. I was curious if anyone could tell me whether the front clip (undercarriage) on a 06 Elise is the same as the front clip on an 06 Exige? The only replacement front clip that I've been able to locate is from a 06 Elise and I want to make sure it will work before I purchase it. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Banned
118 Posts
If you are talking about the 06 exige which was salvaged and is on ebay i already calculated the price of the parts which will be around 12k not including labor,frame damage, and left suspension. If you ask me it will be a total of almost 20k in repairs so it wont be worth it unless you keep it for yourself without selling it might be worth it.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
If you are thinking of replacing part of the frame, there is no way to do that safely. The entire frame can be replaced, but for the most part, the frame is not repairable, let alone have a whole section of it cut away and part of another one grafted on (unless I misunderstood what you are asking).

·
Banned
118 Posts
No the frame is bent and with some hard work/labor it can be back to normal me and my dad have done it before on a toyota camry and ford expedition takes only a couple of hours really.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own a 06 Exige and it was recently involved in a front end collision :( So now I'm looking to replace the front clam, headlights, front drivers side suspension, and the front clip (frame) from the windshield forward. I was curious if anyone could tell me whether the front clip (undercarriage) on a 06 Elise is the same as the front clip on an 06 Exige? The only replacement front clip that I've been able to locate is from a 06 Elise and I want to make sure it will work before I purchase it. Thanks in advance for any help.

was this you? :eek:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53350&highlight=taxi

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
this will get ugly...

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
oh no what did i do?! ;) let me guess...its not an '06? sawwreee!

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
No the frame is bent and with some hard work/labor it can be back to normal me and my dad have done it before on a toyota camry and ford expedition takes only a couple of hours really.
A Camry isn't made of epoxy-bonded thinwall aluminum extrusions.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
No the frame is bent and with some hard work/labor it can be back to normal me and my dad have done it before on a Toyota Camry and ford expedition takes only a couple of hours really.
No, it can not be.

The Lotus Elise/Exige is not a Toyota of Ford with a steel chassis. It is made up of thin aluminum extrusions bonded together (as in glued). It is not practical to weld, or make riveted repairs as the aluminum is too thin. Bonding it is out of the question too, since the bonding needs to be cured in an oven that would destroy the rest of the car.

Unfortunately, there a people that have bought a salvage title Elise/Exige thinking that they can easily straighten the chassis. Then they are stuck selling the car to some other unsuspecting person that doesn't know the uniqueness of the aluminum chassis. And no, it's not like the aluminum chassis used on other cars - those ones are made with thicker aluminum and can often be repaired. But the thinness of the aluminum used in the Elise/Exige is much of what makes the car so light.

If the suspension (i.e. A-arms) is bent, they can be replaced. If the mounting points are bent, then the car needs a new chassis or it's totaled. The chassis is expensive, but not out of sight price wise, but adding the labor to move all the parts of the car from the old chassis to the new one will raise the price to higher than simply getting another car that hasn't been damaged.

And as always, this has been discussed many, many times before. A search will turn up many threads on the subject.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts