The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shift:Totally in love with the way the Exige looks, but I am wondering: really other than the looks what is the difference in performance and handling...I know that both Elise and Exige are both great driving machines, but not sure which would be the best fit for me...I would primarily use it for Auto X and drives to the mountains.

I'm sure this topic is probably way over done (sorry), but I am new here and was curious...Thanks!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Them fightin' words Lotus brother!

:D
:shift:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still not making it easy for me (great pix BTW)...I guess a test drive is in order, considering my only experience driving (AutoX) is a Noble M400.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Still not making it easy for me (great pix BTW)...I guess a test drive is in order, considering my only experience driving (AutoX) is a Noble M400.
Seriously, there's much more variation in mods than there is between the Elise and the Exige... so each car you consider has to be carefully compared based upon engine, suspension, aero, brake components, weight reduction, etc.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...performance wise, with similar suspension and powertrain set-ups, they're essentially the same car - the elise is a little faster in a straight line, the exige is a little faster through the turns, but those differences are negligible compared to driver ability...

...the exige carries more of a hard racecar poise, the elise more of a touring roadster poise - i suggest basing your decision primarily on which character best suits your desired role for the car...

·
Registered
73 Posts
His question is a great one...
At the end of the day...they ARE the same car. One has a 'fixed' roof and the other doesn't. The Exige doesn't have any more inherent performance vs the Elise. Yes, the Exige comes out of the box (mostly) with more hard core stuff...but, nothing that you can't easily bolt one the Elise. Heck, even the modern SC stuff you can bolt on the Elise makes it equal to (if not greater) vs a 260S etc in terms of sheer numbers.

If anything the Exige is the less practical and street worthy (thus, cooler) of the 2. If you are going to drive the car mostly off track...the Elise is the better way to go.

Oh...not to mention there area a crap load more Elises making then better used car bargins. I look at the 260S (a gorgeous beast to be sure) and think to myself how much it would cost to 'create' the same car dynamically with your starting point being a $30k Elise. All in...maybe...if you shop a bit...$15k?

·
Registered
425 Posts
how is the elise faster in the straights if the exige has more power?

and whats your basis of saying the elise would be better suited for track use?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The BIGGEST difference....other than the rear view, the ease of the removable roof, and the availability of a soft top is.......oh and a supercharger is..........areodynamics!!!! The Exige at 100mph creates a downforce force of 100lb.....same speeds with the Elise is 14lb. Ask yourself this question.....'Am I going to track this car??'..... If not....then both models will suit you. Its the style you perfer. Both are track worthy dont get me wrong....It just comes down to what your needs and style are.....:).....oh P.S......The Elise can be made to be supercharged.....'05 and up.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
when i bought my 06 elise.it was all i could afford at the time.i really wanted the exige.i like the extra room in the engine bay.they come with a rear wing and front splitter.better seats.among many other improvements.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
:wallbang:
One has a 'fixed' roof and the other doesn't.
Neither roof is "fixed." They are both removable in the exact same manner, take the same time to take off, take the same time to put on.

If anything the Exige is the less practical and street worthy (thus, cooler) of the 2.
In what way exactly is the Exige less practical? The smaller boot? Lack of rear view? They have the same interior space/layout, ingress/egress...

In what way exactly is the Exige less street worthy? Why exactly is it cooler to be less street worthy?

how is the elise faster in the straights if the exige has more power?
The Elise has a slightly faster top speed than the NA Exige due to the drag created by the Exige wing. Otherwise it is not "faster in the straights."
the ease of the removable roof, and the availability of a soft top is.......
Again, both share the same ease of removal and installation.

The soft top is available for the Exige either through a dealer or often sold here on the forum. Once the Exige soft top conversion is done, it is the same as the Elise.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Other than the differing clams, the two cars are essentially identical underneath. The mods really differentiate the two cars.

The major difference is in aerodynamics.
-Robert

·
Registered
76 Posts
Elise Vrs Exige

Well, The Exige is geared more for track duty as we all know ( on this BB ) but I recently had a 08' Exige 240S pull up to my basically stock '05 Elise with A048's/Sport Wheels, Track sport ECU, 11 lb AGM battery. I was'nt going to race him , but he revved it, so I dumped the clutch and power shifted and took off about 3 car lengths ahead and let off the gas before he wailed past me hearing his supercharger kick in. He had 50 more HP, and more weight. Put it this way, Throw Mario Andretti in a stock Elise, and he'll most likely beat any novice driver with an Exige on the Track, it's about driving skills when the cars are closely matched. Elise = Road and Track Exige = Track Performance edge over Elise

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The Elise has a slightly faster top speed than the NA Exige due to the drag created by the Exige wing. Otherwise it is not "faster in the straights."
...the elise is 50-100 pounds lighter and offers less drag and downforce; the exige is 50-100 pounds heavier and offers more drag and downforce, QED...

...still, those differences are nominal, really, in light of the potential for aftermarket modifications...supercharged exiges are available with a factory intercooler, but aftermarket forced injection and intercooling solutions outperform them and are readily installed in both cars, likewise aftermarket aerodynamics, suspension, weight reduction, and the like...

...the elise wins out on visibility while the exige wins out on engine bay space, but again both limitations can be remedied somewhat via aftermarket modifications...

...really it's a matter of stylisitic preference more than anything else - for myself, as a street car, i prefer the open-glass visibility and less-encumbering deck lid of the elise boot, plus its open-air styling feels more classic in my mind, but for others, as a track car, they'll prefer the enclosed-cockpit structure and more-encompassing rear hatch of the exige boot, plus its race-focused styling will feel more extreme in their minds...horses for courses, really, but in the end they're essentially the same car...

(personally, i think anyone who's sold on the exige is best-served by a 2006 naturally-aspirated model, modified to taste, but individual needs may vary)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think autoX (and driving in general) is a lot more fun in an open car.

If you're not really going to track the car (not talking autoX), I'd get the Elise, unless you're really in love with that Exige look (I'm not).

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Seriously - you cannot go wrong with either. Test drive both and see/feel the differences yourself. Its a very subjective choice, both cars are very similar and driver skill can make up for advantages one might have over the other on paper. Nothing stops you from modding one to be 'faster' than the other. How much are you willing to $pend? :D

Good luck in your decision, and welcome to the insanity! :shift:

rotfl

I do love that pic... :up:
:up: Yours too! :nanner:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Take the one that moves you. It's raining now, so it's time to put the top back on my Exige:cool:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've driven both, but I bought the Exige 240S.
I personally prefer factory mods to homegrown, just my personal preference after experimenting with my 952 with larger turbo, intercoolers, etc. and then finally realizing the wisdom of Porsche factory mods based on racing experience and development.
If you’re planning to drive the car at the limits, the Exige will reward you with a little more due to it’s larger performance envelope.
Hands down, it’s the best driver’s car I’ve ever owned compared to the other great European marques with real racing heritage.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts