The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw the comparison chart over at Sector111 and it was surprising to see that a set of Cup260 wheels is actually heavier than the LSS wheels (yes I know they are 0.5 inch wider). So the lightest wheels for the Exige is the RAC Monolites. These have a different offsets compared to the LSS and Cup260 wheels but the site says they can fit without the need for any spacers. Is this correct?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Just saw the comparison chart over at Sector111 and it was surprising to see that a set of Cup260 wheels is actually heavier than the LSS wheels (yes I know they are 0.5 inch wider). So the lightest wheels for the Exige is the RAC Monolites. These have a different offsets compared to the LSS and Cup260 wheels but the site says they can fit without the need for any spacers. Is this correct?
Correct.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I'm not sure that chart is accurate, or if it is Lotus is saying something else.

See...2009 Lotus Exige 260 : Auto News
Ultra-lightweight wheels, that reduce the unsprung mass and contribute a weight saving of approximately 22 lbs. over the already super-light forged Exige wheels
If Lotus claims are accurate that the forged 12-spoke Super Lights, as they are referred to on the Exige 260, are all total 22lbs lighter than the 08/09 LSS then that should make them lighter than the weight as shown in the chart for RAC's. Thats subtracting 22 from the weight shown for the LSS in the chart (58.9 lbs - 22 lbs) making them 36.9 lbs compared to the 49 lbs for RAC's . :shrug:

And I can find all kinds of articles that support that claim online too.

I know 08/09 LSS rims got narrower for the 240 and I think are 6 in front and 7.5 rear. The Super Lights are 7 inch front and 8 inch rear.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. I had thought that the Cup260 were lighter than the LSSs. Hence the surprise when I saw the Sector chart. Wondering if someone can validate...

·
Registered
531 Posts
I believe the Sector111 chart is concerning the older generation CUP wheels.. the ones shown in this thread is the newer version that's actually lighter. The heavier CUP wheels look very similar to the Volk TE37 (I believe that's the right model).

So, S111's chart is correct (last I recall from that OLD discussion), but outdated with these new Team Dynamic CUP wheels.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I believe the Sector111 chart is concerning the older generation CUP wheels.. the ones shown in this thread is the newer version that's actually lighter. The heavier CUP wheels look very similar to the Volk TE37 (I believe that's the right model).

So, S111's chart is correct (last I recall from that OLD discussion), but outdated with these new Team Dynamic CUP wheels.
No I don't think that is the case because they show the new 260 style Super Lights next to the older CUP wheels. They're two different columns. I just think there is either a mistake with the weight shown for these rims - unless they are not really the same. I have to admit they do look just like them except for the color. :huh:

Either Sector is mistaken or Lotus has been putting out bad info (which wouldn't be the first time). If it should be the latter, I dont understand why Lotus would select a heavier wheel for a car they have gone to great lenghts to lighten. :confused:

I really just think Sector has a mistake there. Shinoo?

·
Registered
466 Posts
cspak71 said:
The heavier CUP wheels look very similar to the Volk TE37 (I believe that's the right model).

One is a 5 spoke, the other is a 6 spoke, how do they look similar?

·
Registered
825 Posts
They're both Circlish :D

Don't be so naive this isn't the first time lotus has done something to cut costs. They used a narrower wheel for 08. Now they use a heavier wheel probably because they cut a deal with Team dynamics. The old cup car wheels are much more expensive.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
This other thread (http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/latest-team-dynamics-offering-74797/) indicates the new Super Lights are 11.8 and 16.5 lbs. That is a lot less than the narrower LSS rim but I still think either that is mistaken (meaning that it is still not the correct lower amount because that doesn't add up to 22lbs) or again Lotus and everyone else is inflating the weight savings of these rims.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think someone who has a set of the 260 cup wheels (or planning to purchase a set) needs to weight it to settle this.

·
Registered
531 Posts
This other thread (http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/latest-team-dynamics-offering-74797/) indicates the new Super Lights are 11.8 and 16.5 lbs. That is a lot less than the narrower LSS rim but I still think either that is mistaken (meaning that it is still not the correct lower amount because that doesn't add up to 22lbs) or again Lotus and everyone else is inflating the weight savings of these rims.
I wonder if they're referring to the other "Exige" wheels which were as heavy if not heavier than the Non-LSS wheels... the "base" wheels.

Maybe that's where they are getting their 22lb. figure from.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I wonder if they're referring to the other "Exige" wheels which were as heavy if not heavier than the Non-LSS wheels... the "base" wheels.

Maybe that's where they are getting their 22lb. figure from.
:up: That is an excellent point I hadn't thought of. That is absolutely possible since in Europe and the UK the base wheels are still those Y spoke rims. They are georgeous but supposedly a little on the heavy side for a Lotus. I am going to check into that and see if I can find out the weight of those rims.

Thanks for the thought. :clap:

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
these are the same as the team dynamics forged 1.4g. They are heavier than LSS, and heavier than TD claims. Several suppliers weighed them for me and confirmed within a fraction of a pound.

There is no need for spacers with the RACs, even with a big brake kit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts