The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...I am new to exiges and bought my first car 3 months ago, it's a 2008 exige 220. Like most people I hardly use it and I have only done 500miles in it. Gone to get it out of garage today and it won't start....there is just a repeating clicking noise when you push the start button...the battery is fine as everything electric still works
Someone said its likely to be the starter motor stuck and just to rock the car in gear...done that and it hasn't worked.
I am not at all Mechanically minded and struggling to even locate the starter motor to give it a knock (which someone else suggested)

Can anyone suggest anything thank you

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Even if you think the battery is hot, try giving it a jump-start. If that starts it, then you don't have a problem with your starter.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Hello all...I am new to exiges and bought my first car 3 months ago, it's a 2008 exige 220. Like most people I hardly use it and I have only done 500miles in it. Gone to get it out of garage today and it won't start....there is just a repeating clicking noise when you push the start button...the battery is fine as everything electric still works
Someone said its likely to be the starter motor stuck and just to rock the car in gear...done that and it hasn't worked.
I am not at all Mechanically minded and struggling to even locate the starter motor to give it a knock (which someone else suggested)

Can anyone suggest anything thank you
Unfortunately, the battery is not "fine". It needs to be charged or replaced and kept on a "Maintainer" see this:Battery Information
Michael

·
Registered
488 Posts
I agree with Sirlotus. Either jump the battery or charge to battery on a maintainer if the battery level is high enough to take a charge. If the battery is too low to take a charge then you'll need to get a new battery.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
when you press the starter button do you hear a click on your dash and your headlights turn off? If so it could be your alarm system. Friend of mine had that problem with his elise and I ended up replacing so many things until we got to the alarm and that was it. Test the battery , check all your fuses and if all of those are ok then look into your alarm system.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Almost certainly a depleted battery. Can't count the number of times this happened to me before I got a maintainer. Eventually I just got a Chimera CBS and was done with it though :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, you were right just a simple flat battery .....mechanic has tested battery and he says it's good doesn't need replacing just more use or trickle charging....

Thank you for your help.

Cheers ash

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Thanks all, you were right just a simple flat battery .....mechanic has tested battery and he says it's good doesn't need replacing just more use or trickle charging....

Thank you for your help.

Cheers ash
Ash, just out of curiousity, are you in the U.S.? Aside from the 25 or so 2008 Club Racer Exige's, I've not heard of an 08 S220 in the US, just S240's. S220's were in the 2008 brochures, but yours is the first to 'surface' on here.

If you do have an S220 and are in the U.S., you can answer a question: does your car have an intercooler? The brochures said the 2008 S220 Exiges would NOT be intercooled, just straight supercharged like the supercharged Elises.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in England....there are quite a few s220 cars in the uk ....the 240's over here have a performance pack on. You can have an ecu upgrade from the 220 to a 260 as well for around £1600
When I originally posted to the forum I didn't realise it was USA based ...you guys will I am sure have better weather for superb cars like they are.
All the best

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Almost certainly a depleted battery. Can't count the number of times this happened to me before I got a maintainer. Eventually I just got a Chimera CBS and was done with it though :)
Thanks for the kind words! In the cold temperatures you have in WA, that says a lot! :clap:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Confirm that battery is not fine. I had a optima red top in my exige that I take out on weekends. Battery was dead in 8 months.

Incidentally, if you get a click and the starter turns but no ignition, you may have a bad fuel cutoff switch or it just needs to be reset.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I have had a somewhat similar situation with my 08 EXIGE 240 (38K miles, yes I have been using it as prime transporation).It started with having to push the start button more than once to get a response from the starter. As time went on, it took more and more pushes to get a start. All other electrical systems worked as they should. As a first try at a solution, I replaced the starter button. No change except it took more and more application of the starter button. I tried jumping the battery directly from a running vehicle, charging the battery high powered charger (10 amps for an hour), cleaning the battery terminals, grounding the battery directly to the engine. At no time was there an indication of trouble with any other electrical systems. Bad starter/solenoid?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Battery +1. Can drain battery quite easily if not charged on a frequent basis. Older ones will then tend to hold a charge for shorter times it seems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had a somewhat similar situation with my 08 EXIGE 240 (38K miles, yes I have been using it as prime transporation).It started with having to push the start button more than once to get a response from the starter. As time went on, it took more and more pushes to get a start. All other electrical systems worked as they should. As a first try at a solution, I replaced the starter button. No change except it took more and more application of the starter button. I tried jumping the battery directly from a running vehicle, charging the battery high powered charger (10 amps for an hour), cleaning the battery terminals, grounding the battery directly to the engine. At no time was there an indication of trouble with any other electrical systems. Bad starter/solenoid?
What was the ultimate solution for this issue?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Voltage can look normal and it can have enough Amps to run the electrical system, but when something like a starter draws a huge amounts of Amps thats when the battery suddenly wont work, but just while using the starter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Still working it.
Please let me know how it turns out and I will do the same.

Voltage can look normal and it can have enough Amps to run the electrical system, but when something like a starter draws a huge amounts of Amps thats when the battery suddenly wont work, but just while using the starter.
But it does crank strongly after multiple start button pushes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts