The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching for insurance for my Esprit and have found wildly different pricing from various insurors.

Does anyones have a recommendation on insurance.

Currently, I added the Esprit to my Safeco policy. It was cheap and easy, but they only wanted to value the Esprit at $15,000. Mine is a 93.5 with 9,000 miles. There is no way I could replace it for $15,000. I'd likely only find a rough Esprit, older and with alot more miles for that price. I don;t drive the Esprit much and will probably keep the mileage under 3K per year.
There are other companies that will do an "agreed value", but I just wanted to hear from some of you and what companies you chose to insure your Esprits.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hagerty.

Had them for all my muscle cars and exotics. always a pleasure to deal with.
You set the replacement value.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
American Collectors Insurance. They were a pleasure to deal with. Reasonable premium and agreed upon value.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
You really need to get quotes from companies that specialize in collector car insurance. Among the most popular are:
Haggerty
Grundy
JC Talyor
Classic Collectors
Heacock
There are others too. Get as many quotes as you can, they all have varying rates and rules and it is also affected by which State you live in. You should not be insuring a collector vehicle with an "ordinary" insurance company. One big reason is if the car is totaled (or stolen and not recovered) they will just "Blue Book" you for the car's value, deduct for mileage and condition, and then subtract your deductible from that. What you want to insure the car for is "Agreed Value" so there is not argument over what the car is worth and what you are insuring it for. Another big reason to go "collector" is the rates are very low because you will be using it under limiting conditions like mileage, not using it to commute, no young drivers, etc.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Ya know, maybe its mu multi-car & home policy but State Farm insures my '87 Esprit for an agreed value(nice, high dollar value) for a pittance every year. Its filed under classics/limited use or whatever. Zero deductible. They only required me to get it appraised and then they took some photos.

They were cheaper than many of the others mentioned here when I checked.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm in the same situation. Insured my '02 Esprit with State Farm along with everything else I have with them. Regular full coverage (except when I'm on the track where I have to either get some supplemental insurance or take my risks). I think the rate I pay is no more than on my wife's SUV.

Knut

Ya know, maybe its mu multi-car & home policy but State Farm insures my '87 Esprit for an agreed value(nice, high dollar value) for a pittance every year. Its filed under classics/limited use or whatever. Zero deductible. They only required me to get it appraised and then they took some photos.

·
Super Moderator
3,731 Posts

I also have State Farm (multi car/home/liability) and with them since 1984. My 88 Esprit is insured as a daily driver - $250 deductible - not clear what total insure value, but I pay $720/year with collision, liability, uninsured motorist, rental car coverage. This is for San Jose, California.

And this is for 'high mileage' (12K or higher) - if I drive fewer miles, my insurance can go lower.

I have a clean driving record and being older than dirt helps rotfl

They never appraised the car or photos. Unless it is a mistake, I asked to insure the car for agreed value ($28K) and they said the premium would actually be LOWER than $720/year - that implies the coverage is higher with what I currently have.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, I'll have to say that Allstate did alright by me when my '84 Esprit burned. I was able to purchase the '95 S4.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Grundy. Agreed Value at $50,000! $700/year in DC. Never had a claim, so I can't comment on how good they are.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
For hagerty, it says that the car must not be used for daily transport... Are they really just saying that you need to have a second car?
I will use my elise whenever I can, but there are certain situations, and periods of time when I will not use it (snowing, bad conditions, lots of passengers, bad parts of town, first dates, last/break-up dates, drop off loan applications, etc). I have my honda accord for those situations. Would i qualify just because I have a honda accord?
edit: ran through the quote process for kicks and they quoted me at $1819 yearly.... granted I am 21!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
For hagerty, it says that the car must not be used for daily transport... Are they really just saying that you need to have a second car?
I will use my elise whenever I can, but there are certain situations, and periods of time when I will not use it (snowing, bad conditions, lots of passengers, bad parts of town, first dates, last/break-up dates, drop off loan applications, etc). I have my honda accord for those situations. Would i qualify just because I have a honda accord?
edit: ran through the quote process for kicks and they quoted me at $1819 yearly.... granted I am 21!
There are 3 rules for Date Club:

Rule #1: Always take the Lotus!
Rule #2: Always take the Lotus!
Rule #3: Always take the Lotus!

Don't forget any of those rules, and your first dates will be much more successful. :nanner:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
YES.
Would i qualify just because I have a honda accord?
YES again.

You are too young in their eyes. It's not your fault that young men before you can not help crashing cars and getting wreckless driving infractions thus raising everyones insurance premiums.
I bought a 1981 DeLorean (engineered by Lotus by the way) in 2001 and had it insured through Hagerty. I sent to Hagerty my Allstate insurance paperwork as proof of my fully insured daily driver 1988 Subaru GL Wagon. Hagerty wants proof of a fully insured daily driver passenger vehicle. I doubt a daily driver motorcycle will work. What I paid to Hagerty I can't recall that was many years ago and it was a DeLorean which is not as exotic as a Lotus in their minds.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
well USAA is only $200 more a year, but I already do so much with them, like their customer service, so I think i will probably just stick with them. Can I put one of my parents as an additional driver even though they will never drive it? would the reduce my insurance?
Unless someone knows a cheaper insurance company for young sports car drivers

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use the Barret Jackson endorsed insurance. It was much lower than any others I got quotes from at the time (which was a little scary). It went up a bit this year, but still under $500 for a 2001 Esprit with agreed value. I couldn't at the time find anyone who had a claim though, so I'm not sure how that would go. The Hagerty underwriter wouldn't let me in because I didn't have another car that was newer than 2000. So even though I have 4 other cars, they figured when those broke that I'd immediately start driving the Lotus daily, or some such logic. The others that I talked with and that were reasonable all had too many limitations for me. They literally said I could drive it to car shows and back, or from the garage and back, and that was it.

Rock

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
yea, I've resigned myself to the fact that at 21, driving a car which goes for 0-60 in under 5, costs $7k to fix the smallest crack and retailed for over $50k, I will definitely get screwed by any insurance company.
Figured go with USAA since I know them and they have great service

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use Hagerty for all my classic cars. They have zero deductible and no mileage limit. They also have claims people and agents who completely understand the collector car market. The prices are great and the service is top notch. Every collector car policy has a clause that says you must have an additional car to insure a car as a classic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts