The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
This should be inspirational to us all, it is so positive.

Originally written by Joe Martz ([email protected]) in 1998 who has owned 2 NSX's plus several Italian exotics, the Code of Conduct has become a personal motto for many of us. Originally posted to the Ferrari list, it is worth repeating and living by.

1. My cars will always be clean and well presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.

2. I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.

3. Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.

4. With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads.

5. Operating my cars as God, Enzo, and Ferruccio (or Colin) intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.

6. I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I.

7. I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced.

8. I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets
(© Copyright 1998, Joe Martz. Used by permission.)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Even though I don't consider myself to be an "exotic car owner", I try my best to follow this code of conduct. Thanks for posting.

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Are Elise's and Exige's really considered exotic? Do I feel privileged to own my Elise? Why? I earned the money to pay for it so I will enjoy it as I see fit. All others besides # 1 I am cool with. The damn rims are a bitch to keep clean. And the side panels.. Ehh..

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Theses should be a given, but humans being what they are, I understand some owners needing a refresher course...:cool:

·
Registered
403 Posts
In general I carry myself this way, but the author does seem pretty self-righteous telling exotic owners that they have an "obligation" and should in the same way he does and creating a "code of conduct".

It's your car, so do what you want. For instance, I have an pretty busy schedule and don't have time to always have my car washed, zainoed and presentable for the general public. I'm always nice and polite to onlookers, but don't always have time to talk to every single person who has a question about the car or have a fake smile on my face every time I get out of the car.

Sure, it's great to donate the car to events. But the guy with the spotless NSX who donates his car to 10 D.A.R.E events and 5 homecoming events every year is not any better than the guy with the Gallardo who takes his car on long road trips and gets it dirty...

Live and let live, and to each his own. If you're good to other people and live by the golden rule in and out of your car, you're doing just fine. The rest seems a bit cheesy honestly.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Are Elise's and Exige's really considered exotic? Do I feel privileged to own my Elise? Why? I earned the money to pay for it so I will enjoy it as I see fit.
Exoticness can be subjective. As for privelege, well, maybe thats not quite the right word but plenty of people do try their best and work hard but will never have such a car to enjoy. Perhaps they have a sick kid or some other circumstance that financially prevents them from having an exotic or whatever type of car. I dont mean the bums that put nothing into life - their situation is their problem. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
In general I carry myself this way, but the author does seem pretty self-righteous telling exotic owners that they have an "obligation" and should in the same way he does and creating a "code of conduct".

It's your car, so do what you want. For instance, I have an pretty busy schedule and don't have time to always have my car washed, zainoed and presentable for the general public. I'm always nice and polite to onlookers, but don't always have time to talk to every single person who has a question about the car or have a fake smile on my face every time I get out of the car.

Sure, it's great to donate the car to events. But the guy with the spotless NSX who donates his car to 10 D.A.R.E events and 5 homecoming events every year is not any better than the guy with the Gallardo who takes his car on long road trips and gets it dirty...

Live and let live, and to each his own. If you're good to other people and live by the golden rule in and out of your car, you're doing just fine. The rest seems a bit cheesy honestly.
We all have bad days and dont want to be overly talkative. I hear ya. And, the car doesnt have to be show-ready every time you drive it. Understood. I think the list is just a good set of guidelines that we can all use to cast a positive light on our cars and the people tht own them. Its not an obligation - we all have the right to be indifferent to it all. Its a free country!

But, even me with my modestly priced car do feel blessed to have such a machine. IMO, its worth it for me try and make someone elses day a little brighter using the car if possible.

I wouldnt say the list is cheesey though.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I found this on the Esprit Fact File site many many years ago.

I agree with most of it, but my car is most certainly NOT always show ready clean when I'm driving it, mostly because I'm DRIVING it...

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm not sure how someone could complain about this. It's just saying to be courteous and show respect for both your car and the general public. If you can't do that then sell your car and go be a hermit somewhere.

There's no need to get defensive. It's not a damn city ordinance saying that you have to wax your car every day, smile at everyone you see, or offer free tours to everyone that looks at it. That's not the point. The point is that you should give nice things the respect they deserve, to the utmost of your ability.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Are Elise's and Exige's really considered exotic? .
:wallbang:

By every definition the Elise and Exige are exotic cars, calling a car "exotic" is often confused by non car people with the term "super car". A super car is very expensive, $100,000 + , has a huge engine, and does 200 + Mph. An exotic car is rare, hand made, purpose built, unusual, limited production. Pretty much every super car is also and exotic car. Not every exotic car is a super car.

Exotic Cars 101: What is an 'Exotic Car' (by definition)? - National Exotic Car | Examiner.com

So a lot of non sports cars are actually exotic, like Masserati , Aston Martin Grand tourers. And a lot of sports cars like the common Porsches and BMWs on the other hand are not really very exotic just by their sheer numbers in the States. I see maybe 30 Porsches on my drive to and from work in LA, I might see an Elise or Exige once a month sometimes longer, I actually see more Ferraris and Lambos than Lotus by far.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm not sure how someone could complain about this. It's just saying to be courteous and show respect for both your car and the general public. If you can't do that then sell your car and go be a hermit somewhere.

There's no need to get defensive. It's not a damn city ordinance saying that you have to wax your car every day, smile at everyone you see, or offer free tours to everyone that looks at it. That's not the point. The point is that you should give nice things the respect they deserve, to the utmost of your ability.
I wasn't being defensive at all, you may want to reread what I wrote. I have a different opinion than you on the "Code of Conduct" which seems to upset you.

I'm pointing out that people who are friendly will be friendly, and people who are jerks are jerks. I always act extremely friendly to onlookers and am always happy to show them my car and educate them about the Lotus brand.

That's why it didn't surprise me that over 90% of Lamborghini owner's on their forum found this piece more humorous than anything. Intelligent people don't need or want a self-promoting and overly patronizing document to tell them how they should act.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I learned long ago that there is a price you pay for driving an "exotic" (or anything that attracts attention). Whether its a Lotus, or (long gone 911 with a whale tail) or beefed up Land Cruiser in my case, I know these things will attact attention. My decision to drive these things means I'll have to answer some questions and have some chats I don't really have time for, from time to time. But I made the choice to drive them and must accept the "consequences". If I'd wanted to avoid the attention that much I'd drive a Civic.

A list of "rules" is a bit much but if you drive somthing that will get attention, just be prepared for it, and be nice.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
:wallbang:

By every definition the Elise and Exige are exotic cars, calling a car "exotic" is often confused by non car people with the term "super car". A super car is very expensive, $100,000 + , has a huge engine, and does 200 + Mph. An exotic car is rare, hand made, purpose built, unusual, limited production. Pretty much every super car is also and exotic car. Not every exotic car is a super car.

Exotic Cars 101: What is an 'Exotic Car' (by definition)? - National Exotic Car | Examiner.com

So a lot of non sports cars are actually exotic, like Masserati , Aston Martin Grand tourers. And a lot of sports cars like the common Porsches and BMWs on the other hand are not really very exotic just by their sheer numbers in the States. I see maybe 30 Porsches on my drive to and from work in LA, I might see an Elise or Exige once a month sometimes longer, I actually see more Ferraris and Lambos than Lotus by far.
Very well said - this "whats exotic and whats not" debate has popped up time and time again. You pretty much nailed it. People do assume "exotic" means super car when it really doesnt. And, I hate to say this but the badge does make a difference here. Like you point out - Beemers and Porsches are too common to be exotic. I love them, but they are simply great sports/performance cars, not exotics. Lotus meets pretty much all the criteria set forth:

- Hand made
- Limited production
- special purpose
- Unique styling
- Charming quirkyness
- Strong performance figures(although far from world-beating)

;)

1 - 20 of 178 Posts