The Lotus Cars Community banner

101 - 120 of 186 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
When asked how much does it cost I usually spin a yarn. Most people who ask are middle income working class folks. The yarn goes something like this:
When these cars came out a they were a bit high, beyond what I would spend for a toy. But once the warranty expires many of the original owners unload the car when they realize an oil change is going to cost them 200 bucks, and they wonder how much it will cost them to fix something if it breaks. Typically the original owners become motivated sellers, and you can pick a used one (out of warranty) cheap. At the time of purchase I could have got a new toyota camry for about the same price, but eventually decided a used Lotus would be more fun.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't think its a polite question to ask and on top of that it just takes away from the car.

its like when a magician tells you how he performed a trick, it just becomes meh and loses its allure.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I guess I am epic fail on keeping the car clean but when I'm home I drive it almost every day that its semi warm.

I do find it interesting that when I apologize for it being dirty, the reply from who ever I am talking to is almost universally the same

They smile at me and tell me that I'm actually driving it and who cares. It's meant to be driven and enjoyed. Not just looked at

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
When someone asks you how much the car costs.... Tell them. Whats the problem?
I was raised that it's impolite to ask things like that. When I had my Elise, some of my friends and family didn't even ask me "how much" even though I know they were wondering. If they're uncomfortable asking about the price, where does that place a total stranger on the street that comes up to you inquiring?

·
Registered
252 Posts
When someone asks you how much the car costs.... Tell them. Whats the problem?
If someone asks me this as the first (and likely only) question, it bothers me. They aren't seeing a fun car, they are seeing an expensive 'thing'.

Maybe it makes me sound a bit like a d1ck, but when rude people ask me the price question, I usually say something like...

"It's sort of rude to ask people that question. It's like someone asking you how big your wifes boobs are. You might give an answer. You might lie. But either way, you will probably feel uncomfortable that someone asked you a question like that."

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
If someone asks me this as the first (and likely only) question, it bothers me. They aren't seeing a fun car, they are seeing an expensive 'thing'.

Maybe it makes me sound a bit like a d1ck, but when rude people ask me the price question, I usually say something like...

"It's sort of rude to ask people that question. It's like someone asking you how big your wifes boobs are. You might give an answer. You might lie. But either way, you will probably feel uncomfortable that someone asked you a question like that."
While I agree that it's in poor taste to ask I think it's just people's natural curiosity. I generally give them the benefit of the doubt and always give new prices. As we all know anyone can Google to find this answer. I figure I'd rather err on the side of caution as my car is rather memorable. Definitely don't want something thinking "hey, there's that a$$ hat's car - let's mess with it!".

If they really are being rude (which has never happened to me) I'd give my fun answer - "new, about $3.50 per pound". Have never had someone ask "so how much does it weigh?". They just look confused and I walk away with a smirk...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My vavorit comment is at a drive thru. Usually a little old lady and she gets excited. She always asks how it is to drive. I just grin and say it like having sex in public. They turn red and say" that's what I though!!!"

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this board and love the OP's post. I find it always useful to just respect others. Those that aren't into cars will think it's an expensive exotic. Those that do, will respect the Lotus for what it is.

I pick up a 2008 fully loaded Elise tomorrow can''t wait!

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
It's not a question I'd ask straight away because like many posters have said it's rude and missing the point about a special car. But sometimes a person is so wowed that it's the first thing out of their mouth. But you can always say, "If you're interested in buying it, make me an offer," or "If I were selling it I'd ask..." and say any amount you want.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I'd give my fun answer - "new, about $3.50 per pound".
Ooops, perhaps you ought to say: "new, about $35.00 per pound" (70k)

·
Registered
471 Posts
:rolleyes:I had an incident over the weekend where I had parked the Elise in a picnic area of Rocky Mountain National Park. One group of Chinese tourists began to take photos, which is great... but then several girls began leaning on the car, laying their upper body across the clams and the doors posing for photos. I had a good patina of dust from the day's drive and was a bit upset. I tried hitting my fob, thinking a blip of the lights might spook them OFF the car...damn my low battery!

So i begin walking over saying something about dust and scratches... but they were so enthusiastic I just felt like a jerk... it all buffs out, right? So I ask if they would like to sit in her and take photos.... try explaining "Do not step on the carpet buttons, nor hold the windshield, and watch the aluminum" to someone who only speaks Chinese. Smiles came out, it was a great encounter... and the oldest fellow said something to me... I didn't understand, and he repeated, "English?" while gesturing at the car.... "Yes" I smiled, "YES!" He knew about the car! He will return home with at least one polite memory of an American!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
:rolleyes:I had an incident over the weekend where I had parked the Elise in a picnic area of Rocky Mountain National Park. One group of Chinese tourists began to take photos, which is great... but then several girls began leaning on the car, laying their upper body across the clams and the doors posing for photos. I had a good patina of dust from the day's drive and was a bit upset. I tried hitting my fob, thinking a blip of the lights might spook them OFF the car...damn my low battery!

So i begin walking over saying something about dust and scratches... but they were so enthusiastic I just felt like a jerk... it all buffs out, right? So I ask if they would like to sit in her and take photos.... try explaining "Do not step on the carpet buttons, nor hold the windshield, and watch the aluminum" to someone who only speaks Chinese. Smiles came out, it was a great encounter... and the oldest fellow said something to me... I didn't understand, and he repeated, "English?" while gesturing at the car.... "Yes" I smiled, "YES!" He knew about the car! He will return home with at least one polite memory of an American!

Nice! Good job on your response.. This has happened to me countless times. Just like you ... I just kinda have to just be nice about it. But if they were laying across the car like that, I wouldn't not hesitate to "educate" them on how to behave with other people's cars. How they respond would dictate my next move. If they are the "oh---sorry" type, I'd continue being nice. If they responded negatively, I wouldn't care much about them anyway.

101 - 120 of 186 Posts