The Lotus Cars Community banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
AAA had my Exige insured as a normal car but after reading a few horror stories from fellow LT members, I moved my insurance. It is now insured on an "as value" (I think that's the term) policy like the Noble. It was actually cheaper than AAA and insures the vehicle off of NADA (or KBB perhaps) values if something happens. AAA would compare the three latest sales that are comparable to determine the value. The NADA and KBB values are definitely showing that the Eliges are gaining value. Their values seem crazy considering I just bought mine in September 2013. I have a great guy in metro Detroit that specializes in this type of policy if anyone wants a referral, PM me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The meaning of Elise is "My God is a vow". This is really is the core of the concept. The more I learned about Lotus and the evolution of what has become the Elise/Exige machines, truly exemplify the strive for perfection; the "vow".
I'm with you, man; but, you better lay low.

Even on THIS forum, believe it or not, we are surrounded by PHILISTINES. :facepalm

·
Registered
115 Posts
I try so hard but the routine and expected questions get old after a while. How fast have you gone blah blah blah. My peeve is when I am asked how much did I pay for it. I hate that question and I would love for someone here to give me a polite response to use.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
412 Posts
I try so hard but the routine and expected questions get old after a while. How fast have you gone blah blah blah. My peeve is when I am asked how much did I pay for it. I hate that question and I would love for someone here to give me a polite response to use.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I always answer "Corvette money." Folks seem to nod in approval of that answer, even though it doesn't really mean anything. :shrug:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I hate that question too. Guess I've been lucky though. I've had many people comment that it must be expensive, but I have yet to have anyone actually come out and ask how much I paid. If asked, I'd perhaps give a general price range of what they sell for, but the actual amount that I paid is really nobody's business but my own.

·
Monaco Dreamin'
459 Posts
I usually laugh it off and say "way too much". It's a relative answer that works most the time for me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That's a big issue I have too, but it's common is Aus for people to ask rude questions like that - how much do you earn, how much was your house, what does your car owe you etc.

I usually give people a range for the car but even that peeves me. The "too much" answer is good, I'll have to try that. Some people are that dumb that they don't get the hint though.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
tell them the spark plugs are $100k and they should extrapolate.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I posted a thread about this question a while back and got a lot of good answers... and some other forwards to other threads:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/response-price-question-170930/

I hate the question, too... like, if you are genuinely interested in the car and appreciate it for more than a dollar amount (i.e. it's no where near the first question you ask), I probably won't mind telling you. But when someone is like "Hey, cool car! What'd it cost you?" My first thought it always "fcuk off."

You can always try the "give them a polite answer then ask how much money they make for a living" route... then it's equally awkward on both ends.

Hopefully that thread helps you, though :)

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
"And a car with 30,000 miles? That simply doesn't happen."

And this right here is how I know I picked the right car brand. Undriven cars are disgusting.
+1

I don't understand how people can own a car and NOT drive it. I'm not saying you need to have a 100k mile Lotus... and sure, I'll bat an eye and not take the Lotus on a 500 mile trip, but if I want to drive it, I do. I drive it a few times a week, enjoy every second of it, and don't care that I'm putting a whole "3000 miles on it a year" ...

·
Registered
947 Posts
I scanned this thread fairly quick but enough to realize many people had issues with the original post. This is surprising as it's mainly common courtesy that's being suggested. The rest of the comments seem a bit of topic. I guess my reason for comment here is just frustration for this lack of courtesy by some as well as a sincere lack of gratitude. Obviously some good stories as well!

·
OC EVORA
63 Posts
Well said. I pulled into a restaurant in So Cal last weekend. Little kids were drooling. Let them each take turns behind the wheel with the engine off. Made their day. Made mine too. Parents were so thankful. Well said, sir. We are truly fortunate....

·
Registered
297 Posts
Really this whole thread is mute;

It is a car and most of us bought it to drive it and enjoy. That is all that matters.

A ferrari to a guy who earns 10 million a year is spending heaps less of his salary on his car than I am on my Lotus. So it is all preception.

Most would love to have a lotus, but there partner want let them or they have bigger priorities like houses etc. It is all about choice!

Do you get the same questions and rules for a flashly house??

I will leave that with you guys.

PS. by the way I am always polite to people enquirying about the car

·
Banned
170 Posts
I hate that question too. Guess I've been lucky though. I've had many people comment that it must be expensive, but I have yet to have anyone actually come out and ask how much I paid. If asked, I'd perhaps give a general price range of what they sell for, but the actual amount that I paid is really nobody's business but my own.
about $42.50/pound ;)

141 - 160 of 178 Posts