The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Exotic Car Owner's Code of Conduct

2M views 245 replies 162 participants last post by  jc01 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This should be inspirational to us all, it is so positive.

Originally written by Joe Martz (nsxguy@RT66.com) in 1998 who has owned 2 NSX's plus several Italian exotics, the Code of Conduct has become a personal motto for many of us. Originally posted to the Ferrari list, it is worth repeating and living by.

1. My cars will always be clean and well presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.

2. I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.

3. Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.

4. With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads.

5. Operating my cars as God, Enzo, and Ferruccio (or Colin) intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.

6. I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I.

7. I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced.

8. I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets
(© Copyright 1998, Joe Martz. Used by permission.)

See less See more
#161 ·
Here's an example of an assh*le who doesn't care about the Exotic Car Owners' Code of Conduct. Recently, I was driving back home from Malibu in my DD and before you reach the freeway, are 2 stop signs. Right as I left the first stop sign I looked in the rear mirror and saw this guy in a McLaren Spyder MC12, or whatever it is, right on my ass and he's motioning with his hand to go faster. For this guy to be there he never stopped at the sign. So at the 2nd stop, I'm looking back the whole time and this guy just goes right through it and does the same bullsh*t with his hand. I was so mad. He goes into the next lane to go ahead of me and i just speed up to box him in. This is the kind of person who should never own this type of car and thinks he can do whatever he wants.

So, if you're in Calabasas/Malibu and you see a red McLaren Spyder, be sure to spit in his face.

Funny thing is I'm sure this is the same car I saw at the place I went to originally. I don't know how he reached me near the freeway when I left, but I can only imagine with his attitude and the traffic what he must have done. I just wish there was a cop at the intersections where he ran the stop signs.

#163 ·
You are right. And I am not one who gets riled up by other drivers, but as someone who abides by the code, I couldn't let it go.

#175 · (Edited)
Owned a '97 Esprit for about six months.....trying to read most everything at this site.....so when I saw the title of this thread I was curious......knew after a few lines that the rules were written a little tongue-in-cheek.....so I find it even funnier that some entries here are soooooo serious......and debated too!

Rules? Sort of reminds of the "Pirates of the Carribean" movie Code thing....what'd they say?....They're more like guidelines

I know how y'all feel........generally the first question I get when someone sees my Crossle 32F Formula Ford or my Van Diemen Formula Continental is, "How fast does it go?" After 20 years I grew tired of giving them an MPH numerical answer. These days the most common reply is, "Over 3 Gs in the corner.".......which generally leads to an explanation of what that means.

Overall the concept seems to be well expressed here by many > Depending how the 'asker' comes across is how I'll respond.....bravo! In general a kind and tolerant reply is the civil thing to do.......and these days when civility is in such short supply.......we might as well add to the supply.

Clean? One might as well care for their things, it goes with maturity and self-respect.....but occasionally logistics forces one to postpone efforts. While the stereotype is that proverbial anal jerk obsessed with virtual dust-free status [and perfect hair too!...even if it's transplanted hair] I see nothing wrong with a clean old T-shirt tucked away in the car for those seriously "Ewww...Ugh!" moments that can be used quickly, then be simply thrown away.

Pictures?....sure!....can't/won't stop you......but when it approaches the level of the GQ thing as per the thread under the Esprit heading, it's up to the owner to draw the line though some will draw it at different points. Professional use of pictures in all courtesy should have at least a token of some sort back to the owner......think.......if you're not doing them the favor, then they could have jolly well gone out and hired/rented some other car.

Sit in and/or rides?......well......again that depends on circumstances, the person(s), their age and their demeanor/approach 1) that's why there's a passenger seat [the driver's seat is for me and I can't believe some of you would get out of the car and leave the key in the ignition lock!]...2) maybe at a charity event or other special situation rides are a great idea.....but total strangers in a parking lot?......well to each his own.

I must give thanks to those who have kept this thread open and going this long........what a hoot! I might even laminate the 'rules' and post them by the car at the upcoming All British Car Day April 1st at Mead Gardens in Orlando just to test others sense of humor.

As for driving, an illustrative story.....this past Christmas Holiday I and my Wife were in the Esprit doing just under 80 on the Interstate outside Disney World on my way to the SCCA's year end banquet on the Coast to pick up a trophy for my season's finish in the Formula Continental...when some guy in a Lambo comes up behind me and then beside me, downshifts and revs it like crazy several times....obviously challenging me. What? The idiot expects me to race him while I'm on my way some where because I ran at Daytona and Sebring instead. I only would stand on it hard while on the Governor's roads if I had to for safety purposes......about to be boxed in, get away from a driver who I don't trust, find open road, etc.....and then there is that very rare opportunity when the mile or two is clear on some out in the middle of no where....I don't live out West. If I really need to run the Esprit hard, that's why there are either track days, PDX events or station wagon tours first session when teaching at an SCCA Driver's School.......or just wait and get in the Formula Car on race day. For those who don't know....drag racing poses the greatest stresses to a power train, I think we all know these cars were not designed for that sort of abuse

#177 ·
good thoughts... I always leave extra time when I drive my NSX... knowing I will be asked questions, photographs, etc...

can't tell you how many time someone has has told me "you made my whole day"... just by opening up the compartments so he could see the entire car close up... many people have only seen Lotus/NSX/Ferrarri/etc in a video game!!!

#180 ·
Just got my first Lotus, a 2018 Evora 400. It's been a great experience thus far and the yellow 400 (we call her "Sunshine" ) get's a lot of attention, smiles, thumbs up, honks, and turned heads. I've never owned anything which received this kind of attention. A simple wave, smile back, or hello goes a long way. Met many folks, and quite a few great conversations have happened, all because of this car. I've pulled over a couple dozen times to talk to folks and allow folks, especially children, to look at it and ask questions. Funny thing happened on one instance last week as a McLaren 720, ALL BLACK, pulled up next to me. He was not very friendly and had a very serious look on his face. Folks in other cars around were looking at our Evora all smiles and thumbs up while they pretty much ignored this guy in the much more expensive and exotic McLaren. Probably due to the color of the Evora but we also have perma-grins the whole time we are driving.

Occasionally, I get the dreaded question, "How much does it cost" and I have a simple, but entertaining, answer. I reply, "It costs about $38 per pound." They think for a second and then they ask "well how much does it weigh (mass for you physics gurus)?" to which I reply "it weighs (mass) about 1400 Kg." That's when I just give a quick smile and wish them a good day. Most just laugh and give me a good thumbs up! One teenager just looked at me and smiled.

Happy motoring!
Cheers!

#181 ·
Just got my first Lotus, a 2018 Evora 400. It's been a great experience thus far and the yellow 400 (we call her "Sunshine" ) get's a lot of attention, smiles, thumbs up, honks, and turned heads. I've never owned anything which received this kind of attention. A simple wave, smile back, or hello goes a long way. Met many folks, and quite a few great conversations have happened, all because of this car. I've pulled over a couple dozen times to talk to folks and allow folks, especially children, to look at it and ask questions. Funny thing happened on one instance last week as a McLaren 720, ALL BLACK, pulled up next to me. He was not very friendly and had a very serious look on his face. Folks in other cars around were looking at our Evora all smiles and thumbs up while they pretty much ignored this guy in the much more expensive and exotic McLaren. Probably due to the color of the Evora but we also have perma-grins the whole time we are driving.

Occasionally, I get the dreaded question, "How much does it cost" and I have a simple, but entertaining, answer. I reply, "It costs about $38 per pound." They think for a second and then they ask "well how much does it weigh (mass for you physics gurus)?" to which I reply "it weighs (mass) about 1400 Kg." That's when I just give a quick smile and wish them a good day. Most just laugh and give me a good thumbs up! One teenager just looked at me and smiled.

Happy motoring!
Cheers!
Good answers on that price issue. Alright if I borrow those responses?

#184 ·
Thats my go to. "Much cheaper than that truck youre driving"
or I just low ball it to surprise them."This old thing? 20 grand"

I get that question A LOT in America. Which I use to find strange. It would have to be the most common question.

Its better than what I get with my Lotus 7 or when I had a Cobra replica.
"Is it a real one"

#185 ·
How about "I'm not sure what it costs. My Corolla is in for service and they gave me this as the loaner vehicle."

Actually I've never been offended by anyone asking the price of my Elise. Even if I had the Evora (more $$) that question would not bother me.

#190 ·
Thank you for the welcome, and thank you for the comment on the Evora GT. Boy O howdy is it fun to drive. And yes it is an exotic!!! Anyone that doesn't think, these are exotics. Tell me, how many others do you see on the road? I drove mine from the dealership in Indianapolis, to Colorado, and then I drove it to Washington State to license it. And in the don't quote me 2000 miles that I drove, I did not see one other Lotus on the road. But in my travels I saw numerous Corvettes, mustangs, BMWs, and Camaros, including numerous new c8s. But from Indianapolis to Washington State did not see one single Lotus other than the one I looked at when I put fuel in it. That tells me for all the naysayers, this is and always will be an exotic. Because you do not see one as often as you see the other makes and models!! I currently have 5,800 on the car.