The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my first exotic car drive yesterday. And that doesn’t include the Lotus specific meets/drives I’ve done like @PERVRSEWI ‘s sick rides or Lotuspalooza. I was first to arrive. Followed by a Ferrari. And then a Lambo. Then another Lambo. Then another Lambo. Then me buddy’s Orange Esprit (damn I love it). Then a Ferrari. Then an Aston Vantage parked next to me! Etc. etc, etc. Really cool! Us Anglophiles got out done by the Italians. There was three of us (2Lotus and an Aston) had to have been 8 Ferrari/Lambos. We beat the Germans though! Only 2 Porsche…although one was a GT2RS. Really cool though! Met a bunch of cool folks. Hung out and we headed out.

Here’s my bitch….there was a Mustang (because of course there was), a Zebra striped Camaro, a Nissan GT-R, and two Vipers.

Now, in my opinion, the Vipers are borderline exotics. But those other three? So not!

I was telling my wife and she was sticking up for them. “They just wanted to enjoy your cars too….”

Here’s my thing. If I go on an exotic car ride, the last thing I want to see in front of me or in my rear view is a Mustang, Camaro, or friggin Nissan! Maybe…possibly………ok, probably I’m in the wrong. Sorry. But when there’s Aston Martins, GT2RS’ and the like, last thing I want to see is cars I could walk across RT 30 on (GT-R less so…).

Regardless, had a great time with Ferrari on my back door for the majority of the run…

Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Few more….

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Not wholly with you on this, Glam. The Vipers I'd include. And the GTR may not be when you're thinking of stereotypical curvy lines, but it checks a lot of other boxes. It's not called Godzilla for nothing. And while less uncommon, at least where I live, than a Lotus, not by much.

BTW, in the exotic car world the Elise is often not considered an exotic. I recall a car show in which my Elise was parked across from a woman with a Ferrari 360. She said (paraphrasing) "Your car is so cute. I used to have one. I used mine to run around town. Who cares if you beat up a Lotus?"

Did that Rat Rod go on the drive? Now THAT'S exotic!!!

Reactions: Devilstar

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not wholly with you on this, Glam. The Vipers I'd include. And the GTR may not be when you're thinking of stereotypical curvy lines, but it checks a lot of other boxes. It's not called Godzilla for nothing.

BTW, in the exotic car world the Elise is often not considered an exotic. I recall a car show in which my Elise was parked across from a woman with a Ferrari 360. She said (paraphrasing) "Your car is so cute. I used to have one. I used mine to run around town. Who cares if you beat up a Lotus?"
I’ll give you the GT-R. And I did include the Vipers, albeit grudgingly. But Mustangs and Camaros? Yeah, sticking to my guns on those. And I’m also going to include C7’s and 8’s that I didn’t mention.

And as far as the Elise, perhaps. But up here in NW Indiana? Yeah man, totally exotic. Looks like the rest of the pack and there’s two of us. Although, I do get what you say.

All’s I’m sayin is I didn’t go to have a Nissan, Mustang, or Camaro in my view. I went to be looking at high end Porsche, Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, McLarens, etc. Not cars I can’t go 12 hours without seeing 14 of, dig?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not wholly with you on this, Glam. The Vipers I'd include. And the GTR may not be when you're thinking of stereotypical curvy lines, but it checks a lot of other boxes. It's not called Godzilla for nothing.

Did that Rat Rod go on the drive? Now THAT'S exotic!!!
And yes the Rat rod was on the drive. Ridiculous little thing too! And loud? F me!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I’ll give you the GT-R. And I did include the Vipers, albeit grudgingly. But Mustangs and Camaros? Yeah, sticking to my guns on those. And I’m also going to include C7’s and 8’s that I didn’t mention.

And as far as the Elise, perhaps. But up here in NW Indiana? Yeah man, totally exotic. Looks like the rest of the pack and there’s two of us. Although, I do get what you say.

All’s I’m sayin is I didn’t go to have a Nissan, Mustang, or Camaro in my view. I went to be looking at high end Porsche, Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, McLarens, etc. Not cars I can’t go 12 hours without seeing 14 of, dig?
As far as Porsche goes, I don't think of most of them as 'exotic' in the common sense of the word. I see some form of the 911 lineage more often in a day than I do C8's...by a wide margin. I know they are technological marvels...maybe exotic in that sense. To me all of the 911 variants look alike. Now...a Porsche Carrera GT or a 959, that's another story.

Reactions: AzusilApps and KWin

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,141 Posts
I'm not jumping in here, slippery slope! LOL. Glad you had fun overall! How long was the drive? I'd ask how fast but putting that in writing is not a great idea.
Hope your overall weekend was awesome!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
As far as Porsche goes, I don't think of most of them as 'exotic' in the common sense of the word. I see some form of the 911 lineage more often in a day than I do C8's...by a wide margin. I know they are technological marvels...maybe exotic in that sense. To me all of the 911 variants look alike. Now...a Porsche Carrera GT or a 959, that's another story.
Agreed…..if I’m in the Chicago suburbs. But even in the suburbs I’ve seen 2 GT2RS’. But the C8’s are becoming commonplace over here. Seeing at minimum 2 a day when I’m out.

Not arguing witchoo man, for the record. And you may be right. Perhaps the Elise isn’t really “exotic”. Knowing what I paid for it, more than likely, you’re right! But I know damn well it’s “more” exotic than a Mustang or Camaro….or, in NW Indiana anyway, any Vette.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not jumping in here, slippery slope! LOL. Glad you had fun overall! How long was the drive? I'd ask how fast but putting that in writing is not a great idea.
Hope your overall weekend was awesome!
It was! Truth be told, it was a bit of a shitty ride. Basically the Far East suburbs of Chicago. Hard to get any speed. Mostly just showing off your exhaust tone when the light turns green. Regardless, still had a good afternoon with a ton of great cars and people. Again, regardless of my complaints. There were some beautiful beautiful cars on display. Rolling with em, hearing em, and having the Blue Meanie complimented by em? Priceless, my friend!

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,141 Posts
Yes, when I am hanging with the Italians it is usually in the countryside of Florida either on highways between home and a show or out through the state parks with 45 MPH speed limits (uh.. uh.. uh. WHAT?) 🤣 Lots of fun. I can see where you are coming from when you have to deal with city and traffic lights. All go though to get out of the house, top off the car, and listening to wonderful exhaust notes. Does not get much better!

·
Administrator
6,961 Posts
At one car show I was in someone actually entered their Chrysler 300 in the exotic car class that I won. It was a smh moment. That's not what we call rat rod around here it's just a hot rod. Now here's one of the local rat rods.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
2011 Exige S260 Sport
322 Posts
Ask 10 people what an exotic car is and you’ll get more than 10 answers.
An exotic car ride is nothing more than an opportunity to enjoy cars. Having something you personally don’t consider exotic is almost guaranteed to happen.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I used to have a Pontiac Solstice Coupe, ok looking and uber rare, there are about the same number of Exiges in the US as Solstice coupes, but it was nothing more than a fastback Solstice. Wasn’t even a GXP. On the Solstice forums there were countless threads making the case for the Solstice being an exotic. Also had a Crossfire, ditto on those forums.

Point is there is a kind of a Peter Principle for car nuts. They (we) buy the best we can afford in the gemore they prefer.

Just people enjoying their cars.

Reactions: 6TVRs+ and KWin

·
Registered
9 Posts
An exotic car by definition is non-domestic of origin.

To me, exotic cars are “rare” cars. Not your everyday vehicles. Doesn’t have to be a sports car, I mean hell, all Rolls Royce’s fit my definition. I do consider Vipers and exotic. I rarely see them. 911’s have pedigree on their side even though they produce them in Camaro-like numbers.

Where I live, they have a European only show every couple of months that are invaded by a swarm of Camaro’s, Mustangs and Charger/Challengers. Ugh.

All that matters is having fun, checking out some cool cars, and meeting some cool people.

·
Registered
317 Posts

You're being a bit... I'm not going to say "elitist"... but maybe snobbish?

I've driven several camaros, and quite a few mustangs. They're maybe not "exotic" to your definition, but they're impressive cars, and who are you to exclude someone driving what appears to be a Shelby GT350? The GT350 is arguably more "exotic" than your Elise in terms of rarity and design. The C8 has more in common with a Ferrari than the Elise. What makes a car exotic? Being "special"? That's totally subjective. Rarity? Pontiac Aztecs are rare. Power and speed? The cars you're pooping on have more of that than your car. Some mix? Again... subjective. Marque? Bragging about a badge is dumb.

Maybe we should remember that our cars are powered by the motor out of a Celica (or a Pontiac Vibe) before we start throwing up walls about what's "exotic" or not.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're being a bit... I'm not going to say "elitist"... but maybe snobbish?

I've driven several camaros, and quite a few mustangs. They're maybe not "exotic" to your definition, but they're impressive cars, and who are you to exclude someone driving what appears to be a Shelby GT350? The GT350 is arguably more "exotic" than your Elise in terms of rarity and design. The C8 has more in common with a Ferrari than the Elise. What makes a car exotic? Being "special"? That's totally subjective. Rarity? Pontiac Aztecs are rare. Power and speed? The cars you're pooping on have more of that than your car. Some mix? Again... subjective. Marque? Bragging about a badge is dumb.

Maybe we should remember that our cars are powered by the motor out of a Celica (or a Pontiac Vibe) before we start throwing up walls about what's "exotic" or not.
Here’s the thing man, I get all you’re saying. Sincerely. Not badmouthing either the mustang or the Camaro. What I am saying is if I can walk across a 4 lane Hwy stepping on the roofs of mustangs and camaros(which I can). Not exactly exotic. Rarity is one aspect. That’s truth. Another aspect, and it can’t be denied, is that our cars are hand built. Just like Ferraris and Lambos.

I’m in no way saying that mustangs and camaros are crap cars. What I am saying is if I’m on an “exotic” drive….they are out of their element. Same as if I brought the Elise to a muscle car drive. I’d be out of my element.
Sorry if my opinions offended you, wasn’t my intention.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At one car show I was in someone actually entered their Chrysler 300 in the exotic car class that I won. It was a smh moment. That's not what we call rat rod around here it's just a hot rod. Now here's one of the local rat rods. View attachment 1296850
Love it! And there was one on our ride. Notice I didn’t bring it up. I was bitching about the dime a dozens that were there. If that makes me a snob, elitist, douche, or *******…..my opinion ain’t changing. I can go to any cruise night in any town within 1000 mile radius and cruise with domestics. If I join or participate in an exotic ride, sorry, I expect rarity. If that makes me that guy? Guess I’m that guy.

·
Registered
2000 Exige S1
67 Posts
I would say a Viper is just as exotic as a Lotus ( I own both, and others ;) ) Just because there are cars that you don’t want to see there doesn’t mean other people don’t want to see them! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all cars have something to offer. I stopped going to car shows years ago because of all the attitudes. Too bad really as soon car shows will just be a display of who has the highest capacity battery in their electric car! 😎

1 - 20 of 118 Posts