The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used DAS a couple times in '05 shipping an EVO round trip from LA to NYC. No problems or delays I could remember, but the EVO was a daily driver...not much emotion involved.

Bought a beautiful low milage Elise from a forum member in Atlanta last month and arranged for the car to be picked up Jan 31st for covered, top load transport to DAS' Gardena CA depot, where I will pick it up. Paid for $50k insurance through DAS. Maximum transport time was quoted as 13 calendar days.

Long story short, the car made it to Odessa Texas by Wed 2/4, and has been there ever since. Everyday I call or check their online tracking and the due date is updated to the next day. Speaking to a customer service rep (when I can reach one) they have told me the transport truck broke down and they had to order parts. Wrong parts came and had to be re-ordered but the truck should be on its way that day's afternoon (same exact story 5 days in a row).

Now, the sales guy who sold me the transport and took my PRE-payment will not call me back. I have been promised calls from operations people, but they won't call me either.

13 calendar days have passed and now the due date is 2/17. I don't know what to believe.

Am I over reacting? Should I be worried (visions of starlight black fiberglass spread across I20)?

Anyone have similar experiences with this company? :wallbang:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
If you would have done a seach on here, you would have noticed ALL the bad experiences with DAS. I used them once to ship an old MR2 to NJ with no problems however; by the looks of of things, I guess I was the lucky one. I would contact HQ if I were you and be sure to match the inspection sheet with the one they signed where it was picked up. Sorry about that :shrug:

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did a search for DAS, but got no results...maybe I did it wrongly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
DAS Sucks

I had a car shipped (not my choice really since my company was paying for it) cross country with DAS. It arrived more or less on time (good!) but when I got it, it smelled horribly like a person who hadn't showered in a month.

The check engine light also came on for the first time ever about 2 days after they dropped it off. (Cylinder misfire). In the end, the CEL was solved by replacing the plugs, and the car has had no other problems since. The smell went away on its own after a few days and a good vacuuming/cleaning.

I got *lucky*. I have hear many other stories involving DAS that dont' turn out so well.

The excuse "truck broke down" is bull in my opinion. I'd bet they can't find anyone to haul the car so it is sitting somewhere (possibly just parked on the STREET - yes, some of these car companies do that - although I have never specifically heard of DAS doing it) while they look for a driver headed your way willing to take the car. I hope I'm wrong!

A friend of mine had a mint condition modded Supra TT for sale... so a kid from California bought it and arranged shipping through DAS - agains my friend's advice. By the time the car arrived, the side window was smashed, all of the stereo equipment was gone, and the hood paint was ruined (presumably from fluid of some sort leaking from a car above). According to my friend, DAS told the guy something like, "our contract limits our liability to 150 dollars... here you go".

·
Registered
756 Posts
I bought an Elise in MA and had it shipped to CA. DAS did a fantastic job and the car arrived in perfect condition.

I think that people are much more likely to post negative stories than positive stories, so don't worry too much yet.

Before shipping the car, I asked a whole bunch of people at work how they've shipped their cars, and the general impression I got was that DAS was one of the best and that the auto shipping industry is somewhat sketchy overall.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I hired DAS to ship a defender. After a month of waiting, I had to drive down to pick it up myself as they never showed.

I refuse to ship cars now.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I sold a Forester and the buyer used DAS. Giant PITA. I'll never allow their use again.

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess I was overly concerned due to communication method from DAS. Happily the car arrived today with no damage other than it was covered in fine sand from sitting in the open in Odessa for 10 days.

They had quoted a maximum of 13 days transit and it took 16, so not so late I suppose, but the drama caused by the fact it COULD have been here in 5 days if not for the "break down" in TX made the whole experience sour.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I recall someone having a similar experience. In the end he called them and asked for some details as he wanted to report the car stolen. He got the car the next day. I forget the exact details but it was something along those lines.

The problem with DAS is that you're dealing with many companies. One guy will do local pickup and bring it to a DAS hub, they'll then have an independent contractor ship it to another hub, where it will wait until they have a full truck going to the next destination. Eventually it'll get to a hub near you where you can either pick it up, or you'll be turned over to another local agency to ship it to you.

Even if it's just hub to hub, I've seen many negative stories.

Looks like they pulled a fast one on you, I bet there's no sort of guarantee on that 13day period. I'd make sure to have the car checked as soon as you get it. Also, if you plan on picking it up at their lot bring jumper cables. My battery was DOA when I bought my car, but the delivery folk I used were fantastic and stuck around until I was good to go.

Last thought, don't let a bad trucking experience ruin a great car experience. You'll love it. Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Glad you got your car, enjoy! Starlight Black is the best color. :) (when clean, it is hard to keep it that way)

3 days over isn't terrible. A marginal problem made worse by a company's poor communication efforts.

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Happy to finally have it and be a true member of the club!

·
Registered
154 Posts
You're very lucky. I had my car shipped by DAS in 2006. It arrived on time but with over $1,700.00 in paint damage. They made good on the claim but it was like pulling teeth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts