The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this might be a fun thread. Besides my wife has been bugging me all day since our "incident" this afternoon. I have two short stories. Lets start with today.

I'm driving through the Northern Suburbs of Philadelphia and a Police Spec Expedition pulls up next to my wife and I on a 4 lane highway. I of course slow down to a stop since he is obviously looking at me. Down comes the window on his truck and he leans over the passenger seat.
"That's a really nice set of wheels." he says.

I respond (with a slight smirk), " Thank you. I promise I won't speed in your township."

With a chuckle he says "As long as you don't get caught, I don't care what you do."

.............this leads to a sub conscience note........

Second "incident", about 3 days after taking delivery and again in a Philly suburb.

I leave a Panera (sandwich shop) and head to my car which is surrounded by 2 "officials". First thoughts? Did someone break into her? Did someone hit and run? As I approach, I see that the officers are standing at Snuffy's side examining her. I walk up and before I can ask if something is wrong one of the gentlemen ask me, "Is this your car?"

I of course reply, yes.

"Are you going to speed in my jurisdiction?"

"Absolutely not." I counter.

"Good, because I wouldn't have a chance in hell of catching you if you did."

Please add you stories..............

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Come to Iowa... They'll sic an unmarked on you at night then write you a ticket for speeding as you try to keep an assured safe distance between the vehicles.
m.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice irony Wallabyguy! These two officials' statements correlate very well:

"Good, because I wouldn't have a chance in hell of catching you if you did."
"As long as you don't get caught, I don't care what you do."

So I suppose logic would indicate it's OK for you to speed since you can't be caught. Perhaps you should change your screen name to Roadrunner. Meep meep!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I northern va they would give you a ticket and say "looks like you will speed sometime, so i will give you a fine you now!"

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I got pulled over on Mullholland highway this last weekend. It's definitely true to say the LA CHP have no sense of humor at all.

Cop: Do you know why I pulled you over?

Me: Speeding?

Cop: No, you passed that vehicle over a double yellow.

Me: No, look thats a passing zone *points to the extremely obvios dotted lines on the road and a big sign that says passing zone*

Cop: Licence Insurance and Registation please.

I didn't get a ticket though.

Steve

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I'm ticket free still, but as noted in earlier threads have been pulled over twice for 'speeding", but both times no MPH rate was cited and the officer "just wanted a closer look". So far so good!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Long story short, I'm on license 'probation' through November. IF I get a ticket, automatic suspension.

If my Lotus arrives early, does somebody want to fetch it from Atlanta for me?

·
Registered
409 Posts
transio said:
I'll fetch it for you, rob, but how did you plan on getting it from Miami? :p
:p I figured I'd get at least one bite.

This is the only possible reason I can imagine why my car would ever arrive early. I'm not really expecting it until after Christmas.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Surferjer said:
I'm ticket free still, but as noted in earlier threads have been pulled over twice for 'speeding", but both times no MPH rate was cited and the officer "just wanted a closer look". So far so good!!!
Funny you mentioned that. I was cruising along at a pretty fair clip a few weeks ago. My V1 started going off, I glanced at it and for some reason thought it was X band (not really used here) and dismissed it… It wasn’t X-band... it was Ka, and by the time I finally made visual contact with the state trooper it was too late. I slowed to mortal speed posthaste; but that feeling of dread cast over me, foreshadowing the fact that I was simply too late…. Well in any other car, it would have been true. Whilst passing I could actually see the frustration in his face. He had definitely made me… He was 100% right, I had been going VERY fast. But his gun didn’t clock me. I could see him pointing the thing and shaking it. I snuck right under the RADAR. I waited for the lights to appear. I knew he had me dead to rights. But nothing came of it. No lights, no siren, no other cop pulling me over further up the road…. NOTHING! My GF looked on in amazement.

I’m not suggesting the Liz is totally stealth, but I know for sure the Liz has a very small RADAR signature. I am seldom detected by automated RADAR speed signs. I’m just glad the Liz saved me… As for the V1… well I pay a lot more attention to it now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here's one. Not in an Elise since I don't have mine yet, but still a cop story.

The drive to one of the places I work at is about 30 miles. A 4 lane highway that runs into a town about 27 miles down. 10 am, rush hour over, relatively open road. 60 mph limit, everybody doing 80. Me? I'm doing 90, and everybody obligingly vacating the left lane as I approach. I'm enjoying the drive. Speed limit drops to 55 a mile from town, then 45. As I approach the 55 limit mark, the radar detector goes off: Ka band. Quickly down to 60 by the time I pass the speed limit sign. After a crest and a turn, there's smoky. He pulls out! as I pass! Holy shmokes!! Anyway, I know how to play this game. No brakes, just coast, signal, move to the right, do 55. Slow down more as the 45 mph limit comes up. Down to 45. Major test of will power as I leave the detector on the windshield. Did not want him to think I was hiding anything. He tails me, right on the bumper, no lights, though. Well, I'll be darned if I'll be intimidated. I stick to 45 mph. Up comes a traffic light. Slow coast to a stop. The radar detector suddenly goes ballistic! Almost hit my head on the ceiling, I jumped off my seat so high! Then, he pulls up alongside me, gives me a smile and a thumbs up, then drives off as the light goes green.

Jeez! Almost had a heart attack. Seems funny now, hah-hah, cop playing a practical joke. He just KNEW I was speeding, couldn't catch me,and had to do something. I probably would have done the same thing in his shoes.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny thing today. Just like Derek I passed a Cop on I-95 today doing, well lets just say quite a bit more than I should have been. You know the point, where the other cars traveling around you look like their in reverse. Well I am coming up on the end of a series of NJ barriers and suddenly see a cop at the end clockingh traffic. Note: what you use to be able to see over the concrete barriers in normal cars are now hidden in the Elise. Well I blow past him at triple digets and think OMG, there goes my licence. I head toward the next exit hiding behind F250 and Trailers and keep looking for the lights. Nothing. He was definitely clocking because he had his gun out but no pursuit. I have no idea what happened. I don't know if he couldn't get a lock on me or if he fiugured it was too much work or what. Needless to say, I'll be taking it easy this weekend while I travel to Lancaster.

·
Registered
389 Posts
A State Trooper blew kisses at my car when I was waiting at a light on Lamar last week. :p He ignored the fact that I have no front plate too. :cool:

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Derek said:
I’m not suggesting the Liz is totally stealth, but I know for sure the Liz has a very small RADAR signature. I am seldom detected by automated RADAR speed signs. I’m just glad the Liz saved me… As for the V1… well I pay a lot more attention to it now.
yeah, you are right. Three things here help the elise big time. 1) is that it is small as hell. You can use other cars and your surroundings to shield you. 2) it has an aerodynamic shape which for radar is hard to pick up. 3) the body is made from fiberglass which radar goes right through. I would say that maybe the only way he would get a good reading is from behind where the engine is. Maybe the front, but it helps us that the radiator lies horizontally as opposed to vertically.

we have a stealth fighter here, ladies & gentlemen... :up:

·
Registered
76 Posts
girlracer said:
A State Trooper blew kisses at my car when I was waiting at a light on Lamar last week. :p He ignored the fact that I have no front plate too. :cool:
I kinda doubt a DPS trooper that was blowing kisses in your direction was aiming at your car. Especially if you say your front had no plate! :)

BEAT OU!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I was driving to work one day in my elan (1964) and went right into a radar trap on the saw mill parkway, cop pulled out, pulled me over , told me I was speeding,but he couldn't get a reading on his radar ... told me to slow down :clap: :clap: :D :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts