The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As noted on SELOC, a 4/2 shortcut (maybe sans cat) could yield some hp gains.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Yummy!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Pity there's no close-up of the type tag on the silencer.

It may have a normal Toyota number as it looks strikingly similar to the silencer under a Celica (at least here in europe.. not sure if it's the same in the US) with the input and output connections at exactly the same places.

IMHO lots of room for improvement, starting with the manifold/collector and working back...

Eveb if it's just to reduce weight, as this huge silencer is probably weighing a ton..

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
As posted on Seloc

Looks like KomoTec made the race then ? They are *now* offering a 111R sports exhaust as well as a carbon airbox. According to Daniel Koblitschek small gains are definitely possible contrary to Lotus offical talk. They fiddled with a dealer demo car which showed stock 182 PS (only). Their sports exhaust and carbon airbox upped both power (+10) and torque (from 179 to 186). I think they have uploaded the RR sheets to their website.

·
Registered
302 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Geez how in the world can that curvy ass exhaust not be improved upon?
Large radius mandrel bends in the exhaust aren't nearly as much restriction as one might think. It's the sharp bends and press-bent pipes that usually kill an exhaust's efficiency.

Jeff

·
Registered
413 Posts
somebody rice this thing out and put one HUGE sewer-main-sized pipe out one side.

photoshop... anyone? anyone?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Now I can hardly wait for my Elise and a little dyno time. It doesn't look like it will be that hard to fab together a short muffler and pipe straight out the back. Looks like it'll cut quite a bit of weight, too. I'd guess about 10-15 lbs. And then we'll know for sure if the claims about having the best optimized exhaust are true or not.

In addition, somebody out there (don't remember who exactly) makes a header that is a direct replacement for the factory manifold, with the ability to keep the factory cat and all. It would be a pain to get it up in there, but at least we know headers that are currently out there will match up nicely.

Cade

·
Registered
446 Posts
option...

Does anyone think we'll be able to swap out the center exiting exhaust for a seperated mid-bumper exiting exhaust like they have on the Rover powered models?

Like this:

I would guess we'd also have to buy the black mesh that goes around that exhaust as well as something to plug up the hole left in the diffuser, but I just like the Euro-spec version better than ours. We'd probably have to custom fab some piping as well to match up a Euro-spec exhaust (OEM or aftermarket) to our catalytic converter.

Instead of this:

If it is possible, it would open up a whole new range of additional options for those of us considering a sport exhaust. I believe there are many existing aftermarket options for the Euro setup.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Not according to the engineers at Lotus, of course they have to work on a system that's emission and noise compliant whereas an aftermarket "track use" system doesn't have to.

I recall Nick saying in LA that the optimum performance was derived from this particular setup. The header is in a different location than the Rover engine.

A lot of people forget the S1 had twin pipes mounted in the center in the back too.

Chris

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
We've had our new 111R since January and we have played plenty with our car on our in house dyno. We found that there is plenty to improve upon over the stock exhaust. Worse yet, the stock muffler sounds like a Lincoln town car. You can't hear a thing, I mean nothing, it is that boring :(
It is even quieter than the old standard K series exhaust from the old S1 and S2's , and it looks so cheezy. A photo says a thousand words.

Mitch

Attachments

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Coulthard,

We have already took apart most of our 111R, sorry to say there is no way an old muffler from the K series engines will work with the Toyota engine. We are already working on several different mufflers for the new Toyota Elise. We'll have them ready by summer.

Sorry for the shamless plugs;)

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
But now Mitch to be fair, you guys don't have to make an exhaust that's compliant with anyone. Whereas Lotus being OEM, they have to meet noise and emissions laws. I do think Lotus Motorsport will come out with a nice track use only rig.

I'm curious, are you guys going to have to remap the ecu to use the exhaust?
CHris

·
Registered
302 Posts
hermanslotus said:
Coulthard,

We have already took apart most of our 111R, sorry to say there is no way an old muffler from the K series engines will work with the Toyota engine. We are already working on several different mufflers for the new Toyota Elise. We'll have them ready by summer.

Sorry for the shamless plugs;)

Best Wishes,
Mitch
Mitch

SCCA has a 93 db sound limit at many venues in Solo2. Do you know if your exhaust will be quieter than that?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Beautiful exhaust, Mitch! I'm looking forward to seeing all the parts you will be offering. I think there will be substantial demand for Elise aftermarket parts in the US. If you offer the right parts for a fair price, your business should be going well.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
But now Mitch to be fair, you guys don't have to make an exhaust that's compliant with anyone. Whereas Lotus being OEM, they have to meet noise and emissions laws. I do think Lotus Motorsport will come out with a nice track use only rig.

I'm curious, are you guys going to have to remap the ecu to use the exhaust?
CHris
This is true Chris, In all fairness Lotus did what they had to do to make the car compliant for our country. Believe me I am glad they did whatever they had to do get that little Elise into our country. I know I went off a little bit, but I guess a sports car should sound like one that all.
No we did not have to touch the ECU with our muffler. We are working on one so that it's road legal and California emissions legal as well. We should have several ones to choose from come summer time from road to track.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
ConeFusion said:
Beautiful exhaust, Mitch! I'm looking forward to seeing all the parts you will be offering. I think there will be substantial demand for Elise aftermarket parts in the US. If you offer the right parts for a fair price, your business should be going well.

Thanks for that, we are working hard back in the shop down under to build the best for the states at a fair price.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Mitch,
Great info, are you going to be at LOG? and have goodies there for sale? guys from elisetalk are starting up accessory businesses!
Chris

1 - 20 of 61 Posts