The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else seen pictures of the interior of the new Exige Sport 350? One thing that caught my eye aside from the gaudy door and seat inserts was the exposed shift linkage in the center console

Has anyone else done something like this in their Elise/Exige? Would prob require some custom console fabrication or maybe just cutting out sections before leather wrapping it

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
That's a different shifting mechanism. The one under your consul is ugly and flimsy and in great need of upgrade. I wish someone made a really nice one that wasn't ridiculously over designed.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

found this... and yeah it looks like most of it is just stamp-cut metal... it'd be cool to have some aluminum pieces the same shapes machined with beveled edges and maybe sand blasted to look like the first picture

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
I'm afraid $1000 and ridiculously designed isn't an attractive (or constructive) option for my Elise. Although the Alitech is definitely artful, I find it to be incredibly pretentious art and more suited to something like a Pagani Huayra. I too would like another choice.

Glen

·
Elise Driver
773 Posts
Sounds like you guys had sour grapes for lunch? Fact is, even if it were hidden under the center console it would still be a work of art because of what it does: makes the shifts precise, what more could you ask for, a Pagani?!:facepalm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I'm afraid $1000 and ridiculously designed isn't an attractive (or constructive) option for my Elise. Although the Alitech is definitely artful, I find it to be incredibly pretentious art and more suited to something like a Pagani Huayra. I too would like another choice.

Glen
I concur; I would like to know if the new 350 gear selector design is backwards compatible with our cars - not that i like the peek-a-boo look, but I do like the more robust bits.

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
Sounds like you guys had sour grapes for lunch?
My preference for function without pretentious flash is hardly sour grapes. You are welcome to your own preferences, but consider that not everyone envies your particular choices.

A Lotus decked out in over-the-top carbon parts or jewelry like the Alitech shifter leaves me with the impression that someone is trying too hard to make the car into something it is not.

Glen

·
Elise Driver
773 Posts
A Lotus decked out in over-the-top carbon parts or jewelry like the Alitech shifter leaves me with the impression that someone is trying too hard to make the car into something it is not.

Quite the opposite, the inside of the Exlige does not match the beauty of the outside. The cheap black plastic interior only relects the fact that Lotus has to save money somewhere. Don't say it was to save weight because they could have made the interior in carbon fiber. I just happen to see the potential beauty of this interior and will custom make it to fit my style :cool:

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
My preference for function without pretentious flash is hardly sour grapes. You are welcome to your own preferences, but consider that not everyone envies your particular choices.

Glen
Yes, indeed. Indeed indeed.

Quite the opposite, the inside of the Exlige does not match the beauty of the outside. The cheap black plastic interior only relects the fact that Lotus has to save money somewhere. Don't say it was to save weight because they could have made the interior in carbon fiber. I just happen to see the potential beauty of this interior and will custom make it to fit my style :cool:
Well, most products have a price point at which the mfgr hopes will move product.

CF would have raised the price.

Moreover, I am not one who thinks CF is very pretty. Wouldn't spend an extra $50 for that. Especially the covers that go over the part instead of replacing it. Don't know if this is a medium-term fad or not.

Elise interior is just fine for the car as used and as designed. To me.

But, make yourself as happy as possible. Good.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hey, I'm sure that I'm allowed to have an opinion. Sorry that I don't like the Alitech.

I remember when I first got the Elise. I had a bruise on the inside of the back of my knee right where it made contact with the stock consul. Eventually, a callous developed and I haven't thought of it since. Looking at the Alitech makes me think I'd be in heap of pain. I mean, why does it have a cage around the shifter?

In general, as an architect, I like things that are understated but well done and OE looking... like the shifter in the Sport 350.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Moreover, I am not one who thinks CF is very pretty.
This. I bought a CF full mohawk roof for my Exige...first thing I did was get it painted body color.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
With that hideous 70's tartan interior,nobody will ever be looking at the shifter anyway
Just another place to lose more coins imo
Maybe Lotus was so proud that they fixed that floppy piece of shortcutting they called a shifter mechanism that they wanted to show it off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We should have the new parts manuals in a few weeks and should be able to order the revised shifting mechanism and the new console by Q2 2016.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts