The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my dealer about a couple of things and also had a short discussion about this. This is what I was told that there are two options for extension:
--One is through Lotus
--Other is through the Exotic Warranty Company
Nothing more, apologies for not having prices, I had had him on the phone for sometime for different things and didn't want to keep him. I'll email and ask for the rest.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Is there a proposed window for purchasing? For example, some extended warranties can be purchased before one year of ownership.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Vantage said:
Is there a proposed window for purchasing? For example, some extended warranties can be purchased before one year of ownership.
Not sure. I was told they (LCU) would not offer it to those who already had a car.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Not sure. I was told they (LCU) would not offer it to those who already had a car.
:eek: Oh helllllllllllllllllllll no. I want the extended coverage and I'll fight'm for it. Honestly, I really do want it and I hope they don't exclude those of us who took early delivery. Maybe with a qualifiing inspection?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i never buy these but on this car i anticpate fairly low miles so i want it also. so hey LCU...lets have a peek, eh?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
My 'personal mechanic' is also a 'personal
friend' and works on all kinds of cars,
from the 'high-end' to the 'low-end' of
the spectrum. This would be my reason
for not wanting to deal with the dealer's
service any longer than is necessary. My
guy's prices average out to between 25
to 33% of the prices at dealerships. I
can understand 'however' that if you
don't have a 'friend in the business', then
extended warranty may be the way to go
for you.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shinoo said:
LCU suggested the same at LOG. Should be available soon.
I was told it is available now, handled through the financing department, so I'll talk/email them tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So here is the shpiel:
--The exotic warranty co. ~ $3600 for 4yr/48K warranty (base warranty is 2yr/24)
--Extended warranty through Lotus is still in the works, details in 2 weeks or so.

Will post an update when I hear more.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
babak said:
--The exotic warranty co. ~ $3600 for 4yr/48K warranty (base warranty is 2yr/24)
I believe the regular Lotus warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles - $3,600 is a lot of money for an extra year. Actually, no matter what, it's a lot of money...:huh:

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Tim,

I agree. It makes more sense to wait and see what Lotus offers since it will be on top of the standard offering. I also feel better about Lotus covering it's own product rather than a third party which may feel that something doesn't fall under it's umbrella because they didn't have coffee that morning.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Wouldn't you be better off depositing
the equivilent of the warranty money in
the bank ($2,000 - $3,000) and then
using it if something major goes wrong?
I don't anticipate a Toyoto/Yamaha
engine blowing up with proper
maintenance and a standard tranny is
not even that big a deal to get rebuilt,
nor would a rear end. The Car Doctor,
who is on WOR-710 every Sunday for
two hours beginning at 10 A.M., believes
that the odds are quite slim that a major,
multi-thousand dollar outlay will occur
for a new car properly maintained, and
that by keeping the 'warranty' money in
the bank makes more sense.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wallabyguy said:
Tim,

I agree. It makes more sense to wait and see what Lotus offers since it will be on top of the standard offering. I also feel better about Lotus covering it's own product rather than a third party which may feel that something doesn't fall under it's umbrella because they didn't have coffee that morning.
Yep, exactly. Besides with the lotus covered one there would be no pointing fingers at each other.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I don't recall the number I might have heard, but I think it was under $400. Certainly under $500 for an extra year.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I got the extended warranty coverage through GEICO. Seems that might have been the better way to go in any event ... (and cheaper).

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I financed through Toyota (please refrain from the obvious jokes), and they offered me an extended warranty. "since your engine and transmission are from a toyota, we can service it.":rolleyes:

Anyway, an additional 2 years was 2500 and that seemed silly esspecially since I would have a mechanic who feels he is qualified since he can change the oil on a Matrix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts