The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,695 Posts
I use Stoner Trim Shine on mine. I spray it onto a small foam paintbrush, (a little over an inch wide), which makes it fairly easy to apply to most of this plastic trim without getting it all over your painted surfaces.

Others here swear by Mothers' Back To Black. Early on, I noticed that these plastic pieces seem to fade too easily. I certainly see the point of those who replace all these items with the Exige-like mesh. To me, the mesh looks better, and would probably drop the time to detail the car by 30 or 40 minutes.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I used both and I think the stoners is less streaky...either way it fades quickly so frequency is key to keeping it an even black tone. I did mine every other wash and it keep it looking good.

·
Registered
2006 BRG Elise - The best color
323 Posts
I've had the same problem on the passenger side fins above the radiator - to the point where it's almost white. I've used Mother's Back to Black and the next morning its almost white again. The wierd thing is that this is the only plastic piece on the car that's doing that. All of the other bits stay nice and black - especially after using the Back to Black.
I'm seriously considering changing everything out for mesh anyway, since I think it looks better, but this situation is just making the decision that much easier.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Why not try Armorall. The same stuff used for tires seems to liven up plastic trim.
I learned not to use Armorall products years ago. They do shine up the rubber/plastic, but they don't "treat" the material properly. If you quit using Armorall, then things quickly degrade to worse shape then before you used it in the first place.

Products like Stoners, Mothers, and Mequiars tend to have chemicals that are absorbed into the plastic/rubber and help revitalize the material, restoring it;s original properties. Armorall is mostly a coating that degrades the original material.

Of course, this is just my experience, your's might be different. :shrug:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is exactly where mine is faded. I think I'll try some of the suggestions before going mesh. Any idea the cause if this?

I've had the same problem on the passenger side fins above the radiator - to the point where it's almost white. I've used Mother's Back to Black and the next morning its almost white again. The wierd thing is that this is the only plastic piece on the car that's doing that. All of the other bits stay nice and black - especially after using the Back to Black.
I'm seriously considering changing everything out for mesh anyway, since I think it looks better, but this situation is just making the decision that much easier.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree with Turtle.. its so easy to create a buildup of waxes and other residues on these fins. I initially cleaned mine off with a degreaser and soap and water and then applied Stoners Trim Shine and they have all stayed beautiful and dense black; Even through North Dakota winter!

·
Registered
377 Posts
+100 for Stoners Trim shine.

I went online and purchased it because I couldn't find it at any autozone etc. Anyway, I bought a box set of their products and am really, really, impressed. Spray the black and it looks like brand new black plastics. One of the first car "treatment" products that really delivered impressive results. I lightly spray all the exterior plastics, even the wheel wells too. Then, make my way around the car again, lightly wiping away any excess residue. Absolutely great, and a huge time saver.

Stoners Invisible Glass also gets a nod.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Depending on how worn out we're talking, an old trick from my A1 VW days on black plastic that's faded from 20+ years of use/abuse is shoe dye. Get a bottle of the liquid, scuff repair stuff. Paint it on with a foam paint brush. The plastic absorbs it and the color holds.

-Brad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where did you buy it on-line?

[+100 for Stoners Trim shine.

I went online and purchased it because I couldn't find it at any autozone etc. Anyway, I bought a box set of their products and am really, really, impressed. Spray the black and it looks like brand new black plastics. One of the first car "treatment" products that really delivered impressive results. I lightly spray all the exterior plastics, even the wheel wells too. Then, make my way around the car again, lightly wiping away any excess residue. Absolutely great, and a huge time saver.

"

·
Puff Daddy
3,874 Posts
I learned not to use Armorall products years ago. They do shine up the rubber/plastic, but they don't "treat" the material properly. If you quit using Armorall, then things quickly degrade to worse shape then before you used it in the first place.

Products like Stoners, Mothers, and Mequiars tend to have chemicals that are absorbed into the plastic/rubber and help revitalize the material, restoring it;s original properties. Armorall is mostly a coating that degrades the original material.

Of course, this is just my experience, your's might be different. :shrug:
+1.

I've seen several dashboards destroyed by Armor All... Arizona sun is probably several times more intense than most other places in the country so I learned to cope with it a long time ago.

FWIW... I've used Back to Black with pretty good results.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Where did you buy it on-line?

[+100 for Stoners Trim shine.

"
Sorry for the delayed response. Click on the link. Order Trim Shine vinyl, plastic & rubber protectant DIRECT from Stoner
I bought the $19.95 pack a year or two ago. The "invisible glass" product was available at autozone, and also is on their main website, http://www.moreshine.com/

1 - 20 of 42 Posts