The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Most people running turbos here are using the internal wastegate, however a few members reported the wastegate to cook during track events.

I was thinking about using an external wastegate on my setup.

For those who run external, where do you vent ? I think to direct the flow after my race cat. So that I can keep a relatively quiet and non-smelling car on the streets then let it breathe better at WOT.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well this is what i did, but then again i dont care much about smell and quiet :) The car is driven only o public roads and the sound for me is perfectly acceptable, even on motorways. Its noisy only on full boost but on full boost sound is the last thing you care about :D

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
I also vent straight to atmosphere, I don't have as pretty a setup but it gets things done. I actually like the sound of it venting at full boost, makes the car sound like a jet.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
External with a dump to atmospher. is the only way to go in any turbo setup! No boost creep and more accurate pressure. You can vent it to a seperate pipe out the back like ferrari f40 but most in any turbo car just put a pipe under chassis to vent.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
ky13
556 Posts
Well this is what i did, but then again i dont care much about smell and quiet :) The car is driven only o public roads and the sound for me is perfectly acceptable, even on motorways. Its noisy only on full boost but on full boost sound is the last thing you care about :D
Wowza! Quite a setup.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
On my last car I had it vent to atmosphere. With the way the wastegate works its only going to regulate (open) the closer you get to max boost levels. So during normal driving on the street it will be closed and you won't smell or hear anything.

But then as you increase the throttle the wastegate starts to open and your exhaust takes a meatier sound.

I actually thought it was pretty cool :)

Heres how it was setup. Just vented to below the car.

***NOT A LOTUS***

·
Registered
362 Posts
We do external wastegates on all of our Lotus turbo kits. Boost control is much more adjustable and precise. Boost creep is not a factor. We do route the dump tube back in because it keeps noise under control and makes for a cleaner install. This does not limit power or hurt boost control performance at all since the exhaust is sized properly. This also supports the wastegate better. If you just run a tube off the manifold to the wastegate then to a dump tube that is a lot of strain on the mounting tube. A brace should be added.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts