The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Eyelise's TVS install

34K views 260 replies 35 participants last post by  Mulder 
#1 ·
I'll be posting updates on the progress of my TVS install. I also plan to do a clutch, engine mounts and the fuel surge tank. Any thoughts or comments are welcome. I have limited experience so keep that in mind as I progress.

#3 ·
nope,

I decided to go with the EFI. I wanted the ability to adjust the base tune as I further modify my engine. I don't plan to "open" the engine this year but likely will do valves/springs/pistons/and a charge cooler in the future. I just don't see how a flash would do. I also have a CAI (turbo XS) and Larini exhaust. I might straight pipe the cat for the track this summer. How the heck can a flash account for all that?:shrug:

#7 ·
BTW,

Phil's directions are great. My perspective is definitely one of a less experienced mechanic (I do learn fast though). I'm making notes along the way and will pass them along to Phil. I also have the Lotus manual (downloaded) as a back-up.

#15 ·
Points C are along the rear of the shear panel with the holes in it. Points D is the rear subframe. Either are perfect for holding the rear up.

Points A are not meant to be used long term, short usage to release the under panels or change tires is the longest i will ever use A for.

#27 ·
I drove it. Car runs like a raped ape. You really can't describe it until you get behind the wheel. The power can be felt all through the power band.

If Lotus did this from the factory, they would double their sales.

#23 · (Edited)
Coolant system bypasses

Can anyone provide specifics on the adapters needed for the throttlebody bypass and the U hose elimination? The bypasses are mentioned in the directions and sound like a good idea.

#24 ·
Sure, just disconnect the TB coolant lines and route one of the coolant lines back onto the head... You're essentially just taking the the TB out of the loop... On the U-bend, just cut the coolant hose that makes up that u bend and use it. It's already a formed hose that will work perfect for the task. It's much easier to understand once the intake id off the car, etc...

Lookin good:up:

Phil

#26 ·
TB bypass

I'll get some photos of TB bypass as you suggested and post at a later date. I have a good idea of how it is to be done. The above photos are courtesy of Mainelotus.

#29 ·
I'll get some photos of TB bypass as you suggested and post at a later date. I have a good idea of how it is to be done. The above photos are courtesy of Mainelotus.
Your install is looking great, your car looks like mine right now but I am mid BWR install. Anyway, dont mean to hijack your thread but, this whole coolant TB Bypass discussion, I just finished my BWR install on an 06. I dont recall seeing anything like this. Did lotus eliminate this with the DBW?

Thanks.

#32 ·
I'm jealous!! :)

Congrats!

TVS is definitely the smart and cost effective choice to get to what I feel is the max the chassis/drivetrain can withstand in stock form. Without an IC you'll get even better throttle response and less weight.

To make my M62 deliver the same HP consistantly, I would need to add air/water charge cooler, water pumps, monitor pressure, etc. etc. -- a lot of weight for the same results as a TVS with no IC. TVS is a simple elegant solution, but so are most of Phil's solutions - top notch.

Rob

#34 ·
Oh no:wallbang:- Not the dyno wars again:panic: Would be better on a different/new thread... Even on the TVS thread, but not this install thread...

Need to get back on topic-- quick!!!:clap:

Edit: Sleepe, No offense intended. This thread is just going wonkey... :D

#37 ·
Yup,

If we continue off subject nobody will be able to see my install posts. Not trying to be a downer, just want the thread to be useful for guys like me that need lots of help with the mechanical stuff. Maybe I could clean things up a bit later on if that doesn't offend anyone.

#38 ·
Phil, for the BWR kit conversion the alternator stays in the same spot or do you recommend to put it back and relocate the charcoal canister? what are your thoughts on this? hope this isn't too off topic.

EB Turbo

#39 ·
Good Question...

For BWR kits, you move alternator back original location, as the alternator ties into the nose support for the blower. We provide the same simple bracket that we use on the Katana kit for charcoal canister relocation... Nothing too fancy, but functions plenty well and doesn't weigh a thing. Although with the EFI, I doubt anyone will run the canister;) I'm starting to question whether to include the canister bracket at all...

Cheers,

Phil

#40 ·
Phil,

Would the charcoal canister be needed when we have to go for an inspection. I'll have to reconnect the OEM ECU once a year and swap out the fuel injectors but what about the charcoal canister?

#41 ·
Engine Bay preparation

I've taken to working with the Lotus manual and the instructions side by side. The manual had a few good suggestions on decreasing the fuel pressure and volume. If your engine will not start like mine then just turning the engine over for 20sec will do or you can disconnect this safety lock

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.