The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
What exactly do you not like about the system?

Is it the tracking for billing? If so, I suppose you never use credit cards.

Is it the anonymous traffic data? If so, you can use the mentioned pouch to block the signal. Here in CA, Fastrak mailed out these pouches to their customers.

I've been using Fastrak for over 2 years. I get to deal with shorter lines (if any), I don't need to stop, and I don't have to worry about carrying enough cash everyday. All this for the same toll price as the cash drivers.

Perhaps you've done something to warrant a subpoena? ;)

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My problems with it:

A.) I don't like being tracked. It's not that I've done anything to make me afraid of being tracked, I just don't like the idea of someone knowing where I am at all times. I only use credit cards for major purchases (BMW service rewards points).

B.) My MAIN problem with these is that there is a very real possibility of states getting greedy/stupid (as if they weren't already) and using them to monitor your speed. (e.g. you made it from mile marker 1 to mile marker 30 in 15 minutes, here's your ticket).

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, as I'm sure many of you will assume by what I've said and am about to say.

I, unlike many others, don't follow the belief that if you aren't a criminal it's ok for them to track you because it makes you "safer". I feel about as comfortable being tracked by the government as I would being tracked by a serial killer (and really, they're not much different). The more you accept things like this and even become dependant on it in a sense (faster drive to work, etc...), the easier it will be for further invasions of privacy to be forced upon you in the future.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't think you are a conspiracy theorist. I want my privacy, too, although I am willing to make more sacrifices than you.

As for point A, I don't mind if some central database knows when I cross a particular toll booth, which then is available by subpoena only. There are cameras at the booth I cross anyway. If my pass became a GPS beacon, I surely would throw it away.

For point B, I already mentioned the signal can be blocked. There was a signifcant uproar here about that here, which led to Fastrak mailing out the pouches to everyone for free w/o request.

On a different topic, there have been some rumblings about Lotus using the tracking data recorded in its cars. There is a pretty good discussion about car recorded data on one of the Autoline Detroit TV episodes.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
B.) My MAIN problem with these is that there is a very real possibility of states getting greedy/stupid (as if they weren't already) and using them to monitor your speed. (e.g. you made it from mile marker 1 to mile marker 30 in 15 minutes, here's your ticket).
Just move to California, where such a thing is not legal (use time spent passing between points is defined as a speedtrap, and not allowed as such).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts