The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was totally f...d by Rothrock Lotus. I had a tractor trailer hit my rear clam. I took it to Rothrock in Springfield, PA. I had just detailed the car and filled the engine. After 2 and 1/2 months the car was ready for pick-up. I called that morning and got their that afternoon. The car had sat in the rain the snow from the time they took it. This car never saw rain when I had it! The guy said he would have detailed it if he knew I was coming. (I guess they did not get the message). Anyway, I ran out of gas on the way home. They put 200 miles on it!!! While I am waiting for them to come give me gas I see the top in a different light. They scratched the F...ing sh.t out it! Am I totally F....d or what? Now I have no idea what f..ing joker was driving my car and abusing the sh.t out of it. Now the f...ing things needs a new paint job!

What would you do?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
how is the 200 miles put on the car justified.
did you document the mileage when you dropped it off?
I think that unless you can prove they scratched it, and put these miles on it, your hosed.
innocent until proven guilty, though i do believe your story w/o question.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Search a little(on this site). There have been similar cases. Keep in mind, this is a public place and they can read this

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
200 miles is a lot of miles to test something, are you sure about the mileage?

I would call the dealership and talk to the service manager.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response. This just happened one hour ago. I am so pissed off that I cannot even spell in my original post. I was in rush hour traffic with no friggin gas. I did not even think to look at the gas gauge becaues I had just filled it. As for the mileage, I do have it. One of the other things I told them to do was a 5,000 mile service. Interestingly, the mileage they list on the receipt is lower than when I brought it in. I have no idea what is going on there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, as a quick aside. The they told me the starshield installer delayed the job by several weeks. According to Rothrock, Starshield has only a few guys on the east coast to install the product and they are hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It seems pretty typical that dealers let their staff take home cars. I don't think they're supposed to do it with cars in for repairs though! Call them and ask them which employee had the car and ask whether the dealership's insurance will cover the repairs of if the employee's insurance will cover the repairs. Either way, you're likely going to have a frustrating experience for the next several months. =(

ps. You might want to consider contacting a lawyer before posting anything else in a public forum like this.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Good luck finding an attorney to bother with this. :shrug:

They'll probably just reccomend you contact the bureau of automotive repair. Best bet, call the dealer and explain the situation (without the f-bombs). If that doesn't work, contact Lotus directly. If that doesn't work...well then you can do whatever you see fit. Small claims most likely unless you want to deal with insurance.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Also, as a quick aside. The they told me the starshield installer delayed the job by several weeks. According to Rothrock, Starshield has only a few guys on the east coast to install the product and they are hard to come by.

There are more than a few guys on the east coast who could do the SS install. It's more likely that after painting they had to wait for the paint to cure before applying the star shield.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
There are more than a few guys on the east coast who could do the SS install. It's more likely that after painting they had to wait for the paint to cure before applying the star shield.
or until whoever was joyriding in his car brought it back.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm interested to see the outcome of this. Certainly insurance covers the paint. Driving the car around for 200 miles is over-the-top. I would say an even-trade for a new 2008 is in order.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
how is the 200 miles put on the car justified.
did you document the mileage when you dropped it off?
I think that unless you can prove they scratched it, and put these miles on it, your hosed.
innocent until proven guilty, though i do believe your story w/o question.
Not exactly, innocent until proven guilty is only in the case of criminal law. In civil court it is a lower legal standard were the defendant is found liable if there is a preponderance of evidence.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Not exactly, innocent until proven guilty is only in the case of criminal law. In civil court it is a lower legal standard were the defendant is found liable if there is a preponderance of evidence.
I dont doubt for 1 minute that they did everything that joeyevil says they did.
just how do you prove they did those things like the scratches etc, and get them to make it right.
it seems like its his word against theirs, except for the 200 miles that just "appeared on his car.
it would piss me off to no end to know that they do this as SOP at dealerships.
IMO, he brought his car in for work to be done on it, not to be used as a loaner toy for someone else.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm interested to see the outcome of this. Certainly insurance covers the paint. Driving the car around for 200 miles is over-the-top. I would say an even-trade for a new 2008 is in order.
:rolleyes: RIIIIIIGGHTT. That's realistic. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
If your car doesn't have the starshield on it, DO NOT DRIVE IT ONE MORE MILE! Tell them to come pick the car up with a flat bed. You should have waited until that was installed prior to picking it up (and prior to them driving it 200 miles). Hindsight is 20/20 but examine your paint carefully.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts