The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some random skinny cylinder piece of metal flopping around on the highway. I hit it going about 80 and it went under and behind. It made a terrible sound. I got out the car expecting to see the piece ripped through the clam. Luckily its all star shield and not that bad at that. No real damage to the shield but a bad black scuff on it. Its still something I dont want to look at. I was able to lighten it up with bug and tar remover and a clay bar but no further. Anything else can be done to this without replacing the shield? There's a bad water-ish reflection... that not apart of anything. The mark(s) are above the front right winglet... i think thats what its called...

·
Registered
140 Posts
A lightly abrasive plastic polish should do the trick for getting that out of the starsheild. Something like Meguiars PlaticX and a fair amount of elbow grease.

A similar thing happened to me; I had what looked like a cracked front clam in the same spot as yours. I had no idea what i had hit or what happened. It ended up being a dead cricket or light colored bug that came right off, I wish I had a pic to share cuz' it looked exactly like what you'd think a cracked front clam would look.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
you can try plastic polish or zaino all in one wax. I wouldn't use too many chemicals on the shield.
If all else fails, I sell new ones pretty cheap that are better than what you have on there now anyway.

Chuforia graffix

·
Registered
357 Posts
instead of taking pictures of that i'd go play the lottery

looks like your lucky day (ask Westrock)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Muguiars PlastX lightened it up a little more. I guess I have to be happy that it just looks a little dirty in that area like I hit a bug or something. That will have to do until OCD hits and I replace the shield up front.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Or...

when I had my side damage, I went to Mulholland Motorsports and got that section of VentureShield replaced.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
You could, but don't use it anywhere else on the starshield or it'll swirl really bad.
Didn't for me. :shrug: But my film is pretty durable being top coated and all. Always a good idea to test in a small space before using anything on it.

This stuff gets all scuff marks off my Lotus and the Starshield fast.

RUB ALOT.
Be careful rubbing hard especially when using chemicals. You can mar the film. If you have to rub alot or really hard, I'd try a different product. Westleys bleach white works great on tar and rubber on the films- even the cheap ones. As well as the Adams clear polish. Since I have a good coat of Zaino and Zaino clear seal over mine it takes very little effort using Z2 or AIO to get anything off of mine.

If you get my disposable track day rocker guards to put over your film for a track day, that greatly helps the clean up time. since you just peel it off, bugs, tar, rubber, and all and just throw it away.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
after trackdays my car would have mad crazy rubber marks all over the starshield. Some elbow grease and Meguires Plastx always worked great. I have some if you want to come over. And I got my car back!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
elbow grease is the only thing left to try. all the other stuff didnt clear it.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah :D .... Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound did the trick flawlessly. I just had to be real careful with it because the marks is in a bad area where the star shield splits from separate pieces and I didnt want it to touch where the shield wasnt since it says it can remove paint. But anyway, it looks as good as it did before it happened :cool:

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
You may want to mentally prepare yourself for the paint chip or crack when you do take that piece of starshield off. It may not be there but occasionally the starshield just holds everything together until it is removed.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You may want to mentally prepare yourself for the paint chip or crack when you do take that piece of starshield off. It may not be there but occasionally the starshield just holds everything together until it is removed.
:mad: Never! Im pretty confident that it wont be anything under it. The star shield isnt even dented....... it just had the scuff marks.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think I'd vomit.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
:mad: Never! Im pretty confident that it wont be anything under it. The star shield isnt even dented....... it just had the scuff marks.
I learned that from a StarShield rep as I watched him pull off a bonnet piece and a rather large chunk of paint and some glass came off with it. He said it is uncommon but a good hit to the clam and the paint can come off. He hadn't seen it take any of the glass with it before. I was watching the shield come off pretty closely and there was no indication of any damage to the car where the paint came off until that shield pulled back. He then explained how they aren't responsible for peeled paint, cracks, etc.

Only posted it, just in case, so you won't be surprised if it happens.

·
Registered
86 Posts
you can try plastic polish or zaino all in one wax. I wouldn't use too many chemicals on the shield.
If all else fails, I sell new ones pretty cheap that are better than what you have on there now anyway.

Chuforia graffix
Sorry to hi jack the thread but do you have it for a 2001 Porsche Turbo. I need to replace the ones on the bumper and hood. What will I have to part with dollar wise.
Thx
Lane

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Sorry to hi jack the thread but do you have it for a 2001 Porsche Turbo. I need to replace the ones on the bumper and hood. What will I have to part with dollar wise.
Thx
Lane
No problem at all. Heck I've sent them to Europe for S1 Elise's. An 01 Turbo is a piece of cake. PM sent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts