Ouch!

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Ouch!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,171 Posts
Ti is not 'bad' it just has a shorter life span. The benefit is light weight. Regular inspections are smart way to ensure these potential failures are caught. Much like the torque on our toe links - they do require inspection. Especially if you track your car or are running more power than stock.

Every weld that you see on an exhaust - Stainless or Titanium is a potential failure point.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Ti is not 'bad' it just has a shorter life span. The benefit is light weight. Regular inspections are smart way to ensure these potential failures are caught. Much like the torque on our toe links - they do require inspection. Especially if you track your car or are running more power than stock.

Every weld that you see on an exhaust - Stainless or Titanium is a potential failure point.
I inspect my exhaust, um, never. I'm only 48, and have only had 13 sports cars in my life, but have never had to inspect an exhaust...or a toe-link.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,047 Posts
Looks like two sets of welds from two different times and welders. The welds to the right look pretty good. The welds to the left look blotchy and uneven.

I've had two titanium full exhausts (headers and muffler) on two motorcycles and had no problems (Nassert Beet and Akrapovic).

San

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, guys, this Ti exhaust is a love-hate relationship, it does sound great when the flap valve opens - especially in a tunnel - you feel like a F1 pilot at Monaco.

Attachments

·
Illegal Alien
4,715 Posts
I have heard this SEVERAL times, Ti is bad for exhausts. You'd think it would be fantastic, but it has issues.
. Ti is not bad its that people really don't know how to weld , they get away with it on mild steel, barely on SS, and not really on UltraHS steels and not at all on Ti alloys, looks isn't every thing, heating and quenching effects on parent material effects strength and brittleness.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,047 Posts
. Ti is not bad its that people really don't know how to weld , they get away with it on mild steel, barely on SS, and not really on UltraHS steels and not at all on Ti alloys, looks isn't every thing, heating and quenching effects on parent material effects strength and brittleness.
Some of the bicycle frame manufacturers only make their titanium frames for X number of weeks per year, when they go into a super clean room mode. I've never had a titanium exhaust, mountain bike frame or part break at the weld. 3/2.5, 6/4 and an Inconel/titanium exhaust for my old ZX-10R. My aerospace friends tell me Inconel is especially tough to weld. The welds on the Nassert Beet Inconel/titanium exhaust were as uniform and nice as I've seen.

senna's daddy, the heat resistant material on the Reverie is silver. Obviously the gold looks better, but I'm not sure it would hold up in that location. Did you use additional adhesive? The foil I have for the RLS carbon IC heat shield wasn't especially sticky as I recall. I've seen the gold foil available from a lot of different sources. Where did you source yours and how would rate the adhesive?

What exhaust is that and was it repaired previously? I ask as the welds don't look like they were done at the same time and/or by the same welder.

San

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
To be honest, the reason doesn't even matter, if it's a common issue. I wouldn't remark except it is definitely a common issue across many brands.

With our exhaust I don't think it makes that much sense, really, it's so small anyway, and very light non-ti exhausts are available. Now, if it were for my old Subaru STi, which was a HUGE exhaust, then I can see it making more sense.

BTW, the factory S204 STi Ti exhaust is ONLY the muffler section, because Subaru said that a full Ti exhaust was prone to failure.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Did you buy this exhaust new or used? It looks like the weld that broke was a previous repair. It does not look like the broken weld goes all the way around the bottom of the muffler/pipe connection.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts