The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Charles, this is great information.

It's a good thing no one bought my old SS muffler, it's nice to have a spare to add some ballast to the rear.

Anyone with a 1/4 stick for sale?

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
the heat resistant material on the Reverie is silver. Obviously the gold looks better, but I'm not sure it would hold up in that location. Did you use additional adhesive? The foil I have for the RLS carbon IC heat shield wasn't especially sticky as I recall. I've seen the gold foil available from a lot of different sources. Where did you source yours and how would rate the adhesive?
Reverie doesn't use foil, they spray on silver powder like coating, which can be wipe off by windex :(

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,385 Posts
Reverie doesn't use foil, they spray on silver powder like coating, which can be wipe off by windex :(
I know they don't use foil, as I have the same diffuser. It has the silver coating, like I mentioned above. I never tried to wipe it off, as I'm sure it does a good job.

San

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Did you buy this exhaust new or used? It looks like the weld that broke was a previous repair. It does not look like the broken weld goes all the way around the bottom of the muffler/pipe connection.
I bought this one used from a member.

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I know they don't use foil, as I have the same diffuser. It has the silver coating, like I mentioned above. I never tried to wipe it off, as I'm sure it does a good job.

San
老人:

Yes, the OEM was silver but it faded peeled, so my friend put the gold foil on a few months ago.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,197 Posts
I inspect my exhaust, um, never. I'm only 48, and have only had 13 sports cars in my life, but have never had to inspect an exhaust...or a toe-link.
You have been very lucky.

Ti exhausts can be reliable. Several car companies now offer Ti exhausts as options. I just toured the MultiMatic factory last Tues and they were installing Ti exhausts on FordGTs. They came from a very well establish Ti exhaust manufacturer: Akrapovic.

Plenty of stories on this forum about toe link failures. We see loose toe links on street cars as well as track. Lotus even suggest that you check the torque in their service manual.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
You have been very lucky.

Ti exhausts can be reliable. Several car companies now offer Ti exhausts as options. I just toured the MultiMatic factory last Tues and they were installing Ti exhausts on FordGTs. They came from a very well establish Ti exhaust manufacturer: Akrapovic.

Plenty of stories on this forum about toe link failures. We see loose toe links on street cars as well as track. Lotus even suggest that you check the torque in their service manual.
I inspect the toe link on the Lotus, I was saying that I have never had to inspect it on any other car. I also check my exhaust regularly, quite a few Elise/Exige have lost their lives due to exhaust-related fire.

·
Registered
877 Posts
For me, one big cause of weldment fealure on nice looking stuff is they weld with a minimum of added material. The weld joint smaller than the tube itself. I remaimber a nicely done SS pipe I purchase many years ago (from sector... Larini I think) lasting 45 min on track. Since that time, I am back to old school by doing my exhaust weld my self, I am not a welder, I am not very good either, they do not look as great as nicely look weld, but it last... I have now a K20 turbo with a full custom exhaust homemade since more than 2 years, no crack and no trouble, and big welding joint and not looking good.

I do not understand the obsession to make very thin weld joint on exhaust stuff.

On motorbike, the OEM TI exhaust line are lasting...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts