The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figure it's time we had a thread for this. I'm just glad there is something to watch on Speed now that the new F1 season is upon us. The change of schedule brings a new flavor to USGP:

Good:
--Mid season event, there are many points in contention and the championship is not decided. It should make for a more exciting race (much like last year's.)
--Better weather, late Sept. in IN can be interesting, it was actually hailing a bit (a few minutes worth) right before start of race last year.

Bad:
--Ticket holders don't get to do the lap around the F1 circuit in their cars anymore. The event is too close to other races so they are not offering that anymore.
--This is the penultimate year at Indy before the 5 year contract runs out. Miami has been making noises about making the USGP a street course ala Monaco. I personally hope that Indy gets to keep it.

Mid field is getting tighter. More teams are more competitive and are actually challenging the dominant houses of Ferrari/Williams/McLaren. Speaking of Williams, the new BMW F1 has a goofy nose.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Yeeeeeeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwwwwwww!!!!

(sorry about that).

Was flipping channels last night and managed to catch the last half of the friday practice in Australia. Man, I really missed that great sound of those engines, over the off-season ! :p

I missed Schumacher's off in the early part of the session, but the in-car shot of him near the end drove home for me why he gets the huge salary that he does - he just makes flying through those turns look sooooo easy ! Contrast that with the in-car of Coulthard, who really looked like he was fighting the car. Huge difference, although sure it could be down to the cars, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mikester said:
Yeeeeeeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwwwwwww!!!!

(sorry about that).
Nothing to be sorry about Mike. I agree that Shuey is a fantastique driver, however, I do not thing of him as much of a sportsman. Case and point, how he ran D. Hill off the course in 1994 last race and took championship. But when the exact same thing (with the shoe on the other foot) happened to him two seasons later he bitched up a sotrm. How he scores wins at the expense of Barrichelo (I recognize it's a team sport and team orders etc. but hey it still stinks)
Personally I'm really psyched about Team Renault. Last year they had the definitieve chassis for corners, just needed a few more horses to hang with the big boys. It should be a great season.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
So aren't we all going to root for Toyata now?;)

I got to go to the USGP in 2000, the first race of the "modern" US era... very well run event, but I think it lacked F1 style glamour... Miami would be AWESOME imho: picturesque scenery, picturesque babes, and the series needs another street course.

Anyhoo, I'm sticking with Williams and JPM until further notice, w/ reubens as my second driver and toyata as my second team.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I'm a full on JPM fan. Most exciting driver out there. MS is too much of a machine once he's in front but when he's not he can be cool to watch.

I like the USGP at Indy but agree that it should be more of a road track. I wouldn't be too upset if it were to be moved there. City circuits are some of the best & most unpreditable.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Except you don't get to see much in a road course. They are exciting to watch on TV with good coverage. But USGP Indy gives us a unique opportunity to partake in F1 madness. The course is well set up, it has good visibility (i.e. get to see more than just your corner), it's easy to get to the track from the airport (Indy Go) and it's easy to get in and out of the city.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I will concede that for an event attended by well over 500,000 people (or is that well over 750,000 for the first year?), it was shockingly easy to get in and out of speedway city. Also, everyone was very "midwestern nice"; I suspect Miamians wouldn't be the same.

As for visibility, I was right at the start/finish line, and the only visibility of the actual road course section was via large TV monitors.

Now, I do believe that Indy offers one of the longest straights in F1, as well as the only insanely banked long sweeper, so that is indeed a unique course design trait that keeps things interesting.

·
Banned
901 Posts
Babak:

One other good piece of news with regard to the US Grand Prix. The day after the USGP you can come run your Elise at Putnam Park road course with us.

Putnam Park is about 30 minutes west of Indy just off I-70.

Mark (Shameless Promotion) Pfeffer

PS: Go Coulthard and Webber!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I'm very happy about the USGP date change. I've had excellent box tickets every year and have been unable to go each time.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Feffman said:
Babak:

One other good piece of news with regard to the US Grand Prix. The day after the USGP you can come run your Elise at Putnam Park road course with us.

Putnam Park is about 30 minutes west of Indy just off I-70.

Mark (Shameless Promotion) Pfeffer

PS: Go Coulthard and Webber!
You get me an Elise by then and I'd be there with bells on! Alas my Elise wont be here till august earliest (third batch by the skin of my teeth)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JonM3Coupe said:

As for visibility, I was right at the start/finish line, and the only visibility of the actual road course section was via large TV monitors.
I've kep the same 3X2 block of seat on the top two rows of Paddock Penthouse since year one. Right on the start finish line. I guess altitude makes a diff.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I was a guest of Jaguar in 2000, top row seats, just left of start finish line (the pagoda was to my right). If we walked up to the very top row, we could peer out to see part of the road course and the big sweeper that defines the final turn. But, still, it was sort of a chore. Found myself watching the TV monitor.

Were you on the other side, Babak? If so, you must be right in Ferarri territory!!! On my side, it was "hospitality" seating for all the teams' guests...

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm on the other side. Top row over the brickyard, look into the pits and overlook the podium. The entire side gives good view of the last turn, the first turn and a part of the infield.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Wow the Big Red Machine looked more dominant than ever, we need some other teams to take tihings up a notch. Rubins and Mike just falt drove away form the field.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
babak said:
...Case and point, how he ran D. Hill off the course in 1994 last race and took championship. But when the exact same thing (with the shoe on the other foot) happened to him two seasons later he bitched up a sotrm...
Glad to see I'm not the only one who was turned of by this 'racing' incident. Remember how MS attempted the same move with JV?

Watched the race with a bunch of friends last night. Ferrari is clearly the best sorted team. I had hoped my man, JPM would have fulfilled his potential. :(

My highlight of the evening was reving my friend's 550 Maranello. What a glorious soundtrack. I don't think I would ever turn on the radio!

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
shinoo said:
Glad to see I'm not the only one who was turned of by this 'racing' incident. Remember how MS attempted the same move with JV?

Absolutely. I too am disappointed at the ominous start to the season. I don't mind giving the Tifosi yet one more win but I'm really tired of one sided boring races making boring seasons. JPM didn't mount a good beginning (granted the season is very young), however, I had really hoped that Renault would find 20 more horses out of their engine (what did you think of the start? Passing JPM on the grass!!) Time and again you hear how they have the best aeorodynamics and chassis out there for cornering but keep loosing out to the top three houses' powerplants.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
That race was plain boring. Schumacher lapped up to the 5th place car? The other teams are off by a long way and they might catch up a bit on the red cars, but this season looks to be a runaway. I don't think JPM has much focus this year with the bad blood and that juicy contract in his pocket for next year.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
BAR put on an impressive show - I'm expecting more improvement from them as the year progresses. Likewise with Williams. That car is radically different, it'll take some time to sort it out.

The season may be off to a boring start, but I'll give it a few more races before I get worried.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Boring start definitely. But remember, McLaren is still racing last years car. The new one is supposed to be ready by mid season.
As to Williams...is it possible that a house with two dominant drivers can't field two competitive cars? I don't see why that should be an issue. But the rivalry and tiffs between Ralf and JPM are legendary.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
_JD_ said:
I don't think JPM has much focus this year with the bad blood and that juicy contract in his pocket for next year.
This is likely an issue.

The grass pass seemed a bit crazy. How was JPM supposed to defend his position without getting nicked? Let's hope this season gets more interesting... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts