The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else following F1 this season? At least the mid-field battle keeps it interesting... I've never liked that the typical fastest cars end up lapping the the rest of field all the way in to the top 10! Hopefully new regs will help level the playing field whenever they kick in... Glad to see Honda is finally back in the mix of things. Not the best year for the Tifosi...

Reactions: Toronto

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Just watched recorded qualifying for Silverstone. This the only F1 race I have actually attended. Had the good fortune to be right at start/finish back in the pre turbo days when the cars still had a proper sound.

F1 is like so many things in the world now, been watered down and standardized and often bland and unexciting. But there are still a dozen things going on to catch interest, most of it off track. This newest thing about the Pink Mercedes’ brake ducts that few folks can really understand yet cost €400K fine. Drivers refusing to be bullied into kneeling for the BLM stuff. Hamilton maybe the world’s best example of someone being chosen by their merits regardless of ethnicity, yet the most vocal about how bad it is for them.

Last week’s race pretty much another yawnfest until tires starting coming apart on the last lap. Hammie of course still able to win on three wheels.

The best days of F1 were back in the days when Colin was changing racing forever through his innovations. Now each year moves further towards a spec series. But a very consistently stratified spec series. Tough for any team to move upwards.

This year has brought some relief and rewards for we long time McLaren fans. A podium finish! And having Riccardo next year.

So much doubt in the world today with the Covid situation. What is going to happen vwith racing and sports and economy and civilization?

But tomorrow I will enjoy warching the Papaya orange cars run ‘round a wonderful track while we have a Mac the same color in the garage. Life is good.

Tomorrow will probably be another script following event on the sharpest end. Hammie will be allowed past Bottas at some point and there will be less passing in the whole race than in one lap of the BTCC. But we’ll still be there with volume up when the lights go out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Love F1.
Its a lonely sport to watch as most of the races are in the morning and don't usually have friends over at that time of the day. Not like going to to the Pub in the afternoon to watch a game with a group.
Mercedes had an interesting idea with their DAS steering this year.
Yes the flat at the end last week ( 2 flats) made it interesting.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
The timing is very nice for the European races. Watch on Sunday morning and still have the whole day left.

Last week both Mercedes drivers had tire failures as did McLaren driver Carlos Sainz, one a lap for the last three laps. Suddenly the dull race became very interesting.

My son is a big Hulk fan. I am too tomorrow. A really good driver whose career results have fallen far far short of his skill

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with much of what you stated @XHILR8N! . I've had the privilege to be in attendance at the U.S. GP twice, Monaco in 1990, and the British GP a couple years ago. I absolutely LOVE F1, but acknowledge it has been diluted. I remember Monaco in 1990 how with my eyes closed I could distinguish each manufacturer simply by the unique sound of their engine. V8's, V12's, and if memory serves even a Chrysler/Lamborghini V10. It truly was a surreal event for me.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I turned 50 in April and attending COTA 2020 was to be my birthday present and first F1 race. So much for that...

I live in the Sailing Capital of the US and have been racing sailboats since the early 90's. One-design racing can be a lot of fun, crew vs crew... There are also handicap point systems for sailboats so smaller boats can compete against larger boats in the same "timed" race... Also fun. Budget caps may help make F1 more competitive but I'd be surprised if the series is still around in 10yrs as we know it today, if at all... hope I'm wrong!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
The F1 needle went in my am when I was 10. Wide world of Sports on ABC on Saturday afternoons on a BW TV in May of 1962, was the first time I saw an F1 race. Some new guy named Clark in a little green and yellow missile with wheels. I went to the Long Beach GPs for a long as they held them for F1. Had plans to go to Monaco or Italian GP this year.....

Family came along early 80s and my 2 year old son would wake me at 5AM on Sundays to watch F1 sitting on the living room floor eating breakfast. Good times. I follow the mid pack racing as well because its interesting. If our Canucky friends ever let us over the border again, I want to go to Montreal too.

It appears the most competition this season is in FIA protest and rule negotiations.....

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Well that was fun to watch. Won’t reveal spoilers, never know who might not have seen results yet. But it was enjoyable.

My first F1 memories were black and gold JPS Lotus 72 when I was 16. Emerson Fittapaldi. In 2012 my son and I went to Goodwood FOS and Classic Lotus at Hethel. As gratifying as any experiences I’ve had in this life.

Reactions: autonoob

·
Registered
7,130 Posts

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
McLaren overtook the red cars for third place in constructors championship today. Only behind the silvers arrows (now black in protest) and the historic cars entry.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still curious what changed with this year's Ferrari power unit and why is it secret?

·
Registered
983 Posts
This is speculation because the FIA and Ferrari agreed to keep it a secret.

Based on the FIA's mandate for a second fuel flow meter and the way the new meter operates would suggest that Ferrari was able to pulse the fuel flow past the original meter knowing that the original meter took samples at a known frequency. The new second meter is supposed to sample at a random frequency. If this was the case, it was absolutely cheating on Ferrari's part. The irony being that Mercedes in 2019 knew they had a power deficit to Ferrari and upped their game to find even more power (hopefully legally). Now, Ferrari is lacking power and Mercedes have even more.

My understanding of why this is a secret is due to the FIA not knowing exactly how Ferrari were able to pull it off. There may have been someone from the inside of Ferrari that tipped off the FIA. Ferrari likely agreed to stop doing it, tell the FIA how to block others (new second fuel flow meter), and in return not allow the details of the investigation to become public.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's already a fuel limit, curious how much is left-over after each race? Why not let each car manage (even more so) what they're willing to burn? Damn tree huggers!

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
One of Chapman's ideal F1 reg was to set an energy allotment per car for each race. You could use any fuel, any engine/motor to convert the energy from potential to kinetic and let the teams and engineers have at it. Crazy? It would be fun to see the solutions!!!

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I was speculating that they actually induced a frequency in the fuel changing the response curve of the sensor. Thus reducing the actual measured out. They still had to meet the maximum fuel usage but this would allow them to have extra power for a short period of time.
Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
48 Posts
One of Chapman's ideal F1 reg was to set an energy allotment per car for each race. You could use any fuel, any engine/motor to convert the energy from potential to kinetic and let the teams and engineers have at it. Crazy? It would be fun to see the solutions!!!
I wish this type of freedom of design was still an option in F1!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Too much freedom in the rules would either takes costs even higher than they are now and/or you would see domination like you have never seen before and the little teams would just pack it up.

The maximum fuel flow was supposed to cap the available HP to make it a more even playing field.

·
Registered
No lotus yet, but cant wait to get one
59 Posts
Also, Mercedes is extra dominant this season because they put so much extra $$$ into their engine R & D last season to be on par with Ferrari's engine last season, and then the FIA figured out what Ferrari was doing and now they've stopped it and Mercedes has a super over-engineered engine to get every last HP out of it. Also, they're blisteringly fast in the corners with their aero package.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
During F1's 1.5L Turbo Era in the '80s, much experimentation went on with fuels and the fuel load limits at the time. Honda realized they could raise boost if they had adequate detonation margin and could improve mileage if they could deliver the highest kilocalorie/kg of fuel. Creative chemical engineering (including the use of toluene and some other enhancements) and combustion management technology made Honda very competitive. The FIA thought they could reign in the HP wars by reducing boost.

Honda's response was to increase the compression ratio and make some interesting shaped cylinders (not exactly round) to allow for more valves in the head which made even more power. Interesting times. Honda published a paper in SAE Journal that documented their efforts, though they kept the cylinder bore technology to themselves. I think @khamai published exerpts in the GGLC Chapman Report.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I feel for Perez. Was rather hoping VET was going to retire...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts