The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 questions about the Canadian grand prix coming up this year. For the first time, I'm going up earlier on Thursday morning instead of in time for Friday practice. Does anyone know how the pit walk works? Can I just show up on Thurs. morning and walk around the garage / paddock areas?

Also, any fun roads outside of Montreal to take on since I'm driving the Elise up? Figure if I got bored Thrus afternoon, I go out for a fun spin. I've been around the city many times, but never saw any fun roads on the outskirts.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
2 questions about the Canadian grand prix coming up this year. For the first time, I'm going up earlier on Thursday morning instead of in time for Friday practice. Does anyone know how the pit walk works? Can I just show up on Thurs. morning and walk around the garage / paddock areas?

Also, any fun roads outside of Montreal to take on since I'm driving the Elise up? Figure if I got bored Thrus afternoon, I go out for a fun spin. I've been around the city many times, but never saw any fun roads on the outskirts.
I just got back from Monaco and they just required I had a valid ticket for Sat. or Sun. in order to do the pit walk. BTW, we couldn't get anywhere close to the garages, they had us behind baracades about 1/2 way across pit lane. :no: Maybe Montreal won't be so restrictive, but F1 isn't nearly as open as US racing.

·
Registered
613 Posts

I've been going up to the GP for over 20 years. I also have family up there and visit the area pretty regularly. You're probabaly going to have a tough time finding fun roads unless you go up north toward the Laurentians. The area around Montreal and to the south of the St. Lawrence is pretty flat. maybe someone will flame me for this but Quebec probably has the worst condition roads in North America.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
When I was there, they weren't let anybody near the pits/paddocks, even on Thursday. Even a friend of mine who was working with one of Ferrari Challenge teams last year wasn't even allowed remotely near the area. Don't keep you hopes up and less somebody else here knows something that I don't know (which is entirely possible)...

maybe someone will flame me for this but Quebec probably has the worst condition roads in North America.
Yep, the roads were pretty awful when I was up there 4 years ago.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
maybe someone will flame me for this but Quebec probably has the worst condition roads in North America.
I don't think you'll get flamed for that one, the roads are a total joke there and everyone knows it. I've driven bad roads all across this continent and still haven't found anything worse than Quebec. I can imagine that some of the roads that trucks pull through Yukon are worse, but that's about it.

Last time I went to the Thursday open pit thing, it was all access open to the public and I'm certain it's still like that. There was some buffer between the actual cars and the barriers you had to be behind, but you usually sill get a peek at a couple cars. I'd say it's more geared for the kids, the whole walking on a real racetrack thing and all and the pit scene. I'd suggest skipping it and see the many more things that Montreal's got.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been too and seen all of Montreal ton's of times. I'm even going back up 2 weeks after. I figured it would be cool to walk the pits and maybe get some cool photos. I assume they are still open to the public but it's like it's a big secret or something. Plus, with the city packed, I don't feel like venturing around too much. Plus my father will be with me. I would bring my white water kayak and surf Lachine or Habitat, but I don't think I can fit it in/on the Elise. I should try one day though.

And yeah, especially toward Quebec City the roads get real rough. I've driven up there a few times. Around Montreal, it's not too bad. You should drive thru NYC sometimes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'll be going to the race, too. Where are some good places to sit with the General Admission weekend passes?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Elisers at the Canuck GP?

Cool to see that other Elisers will be up in Montreal. I arrive Friday evening and will be there through Monday. If anyone wants to meet up at some point, drop me a PM so we can exchange cell phone numbers and emails.

This is my first Formula One race where I'll be old enough to remember it (and hopefully sober enough at this one too). Very excited.

See you there!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Where are some good places to sit with the General Admission weekend passes?
There are some good spots at the end of the hairpin. There's a little grassy patch, but it'll be tough getting a spot to settle down on if you're not early. I've been at the track right as it opens for the public but a while before anyone's on the track and it's so nice to see the place 97% empty knowing that in a few hours there'll be hundreds of thousands of people watching million dollar machines scream by. That, and late afternoon on a Friday pouring rain are the most magical times to be at the track - mostly empty of spectators but still that magical race atmosphere.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be going to the race, too. Where are some good places to sit with the General Admission weekend passes?
i think a good place to sit is around grandstand 33. You get the screen and a little grass field, but you gotta claim your spot early as people pack in that area. I had front row seats there last year and would once and a while walk down there to get a break from the sun and get a different view. You can see down the straight and then turns 6 & 7. You can also get pretty close by turn 7 and really get good pics. There it never got that crowded.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
any insight into spots with a good view of the track where there is no fence in the sight line to the cars on track?

·
Registered
613 Posts
any insight into spots with a good view of the track where there is no fence in the sight line to the cars on track?
Good luck there! I've been going to the CGP over 20 years and they've just progressively eliminated any viewing areas for General Admission by strategically planting trees, erecting fences, and limiting access to parts of the track where you could see anything. It used to be GA wa a pretty good deal before before Bernie and the organizers decided they could line their pockets better by selling mreo grandstand tickets. Once about 15 years ago, my cousin and I found a great viewing area by climbing a leadder onto a roof. Soon we got spotted by other people and there were about 20 people up there before long. About halfway through the race the bouncers came up and kicked us out. Had a great view for a while though.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes, the road surface in Quebec has always been horrible. It's the result of the mixture of the asphalt used plus the cycle of winter and summer extremes. Interesting, I always knew where the border of Ontario and Quebec was, simply by the feel and noise under my tires. I grew up there in the sixties, and in the seventies commuted monthly back and forth between Toronto and Montreal. Ontario roads were so superior to Quebec's.

The Laurentians, the Eastern Townships and up by the Ottawa river have some good roads for driving, but unfortunately you likely won't have time. It's a good 2-3 hours outside of downtown Montreal. In the old days it was easy, the sixties, I learned to drive on Ile Bizard and out by Senneville. All changed now.

Remember, Montreal is an island and find to fun roads, you need to get across the bridges and travel a while.

As for the F1 race, I fly out of Vancouver to Montreal on Wednesday the 4th and back to Vancouver on the 9th, Monday. We have 3 day tickets in Section 33. Unless you're in a grandstand or home watching on TV, you won't see much of the actual race. This is like a street race, chainlink fencing, barricades, billboards, all blocking your view.

Enjoy the city, the atmosphere, the sounds, the women. Have a ball, but remember to record the race on TV, so you can watch it when you get home.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, FYI if you have general access for the race, you can't go everywhere around the track. They limit where you can walk around the island. I thought at least with tickets for GS 33 we could at least walk around the entire track last year. This year I'm in GS 12 front row and can walk around the entire track. If you have GA and go around the GS 33 section, you can poke your camera up against the fence to get unobstructed views of cars going by. It's a concrete area in front of some building by turn 7.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i have no heartburn buying a grandstand ticket. i just want to be able to find places to shoot unobstructed during proactice and qualifying. so post 14 convinced me to never go and post 15 suggests i still may try it next year

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't let post scare or talk you into going. Its something you have to decide if its worth. I will tell you this. I walked around much of the track as possible and its different then what you imagine. Its not like TV because there is no view where you can follow a car for a long time. And the track is way more narrow then you'll ever imagine. So yes its hard to get good pics, but you can. I'll try to post some of mine tomorrow from last year and tell you where the shots were from to give you an idea.

·
Registered
569 Posts
macdady2424...

My comment wasn't to scare you away, simply to inform you that you will not see much of the actual race. With GA you can still see the cars, and hear the noise, but a grandstand seat is better. I'm still recording the race for later.

And Montreal is excellent any time of the year, worth a visit even when the race is not in town.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
macdady2424...

My comment wasn't to scare you away, simply to inform you that you will not see much of the actual race. With GA you can still see the cars, and hear the noise, but a grandstand seat is better. I'm still recording the race for later.

And Montreal is excellent any time of the year, worth a visit even when the race is not in town.

I've been 2 times and I'm going back this year again and I've allways been in the grandstands. My comments were posted toward others who were asking about it. And I agree with you, it's not the same as watching on TV b/c the cars go by in a blink. Thats why you have to sit near a monitor see really understand what's going on and follow the race.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I goofed. I directed my last comment to macdady 2424. It was supposed to be for Lotuslust. Apologies.

Anyway... go to Montreal and have a ball. I hear they are closing Drummond Street and making it into an Italian festival. This is so typical of Montreal, any reason for a party is a good one.

Ian.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts