The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Funny thing --

I'm releived and sort of sad at the same time.

Bye Bye Max - you whiphole

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...is the drama ever truly over?..

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
So now that that's over, will Ferrari's extra kickback become an issue?

doubt it - that seemed like it was a legit negotiation. however i would expect the other top team start to ask for the same or more now too. a couple hundered million here or there won't hurt bernie one bit.

wish it was bernie that was out... who want to lay bets Montezemolo replaces max?

·
Registered
460 Posts
The sad thing is that I really liked the tracks the FOTA had on their potential calendar. I really wish the FIA would ditch most of the new tracks China, Bahrain, Turkey, Abu Dahbi and return to some of the great European tracks where fans will actually show up to watch the races.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
^ Amen to that !

Bernie's more concerned with helicopter access and lining his own wallet (not necessarily in that order, I think) than with F1 legacy.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The sad thing is that I really liked the tracks the FOTA had on their potential calendar. I really wish the FIA would ditch most of the new tracks China, Bahrain, Turkey, Abu Dahbi and return to some of the great European tracks where fans will actually show up to watch the races.
That's FOM's fault (Bernie), not the FIA. That's one reason I really wanted him out of the picture. FOTA should have insisted Max and Bernie both disappear as a condition of staying.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
As usual, nothing is really going to change in F1. However, I'm wondering if there is any chance that the new FIA management might decide to price WRC broadcast rights reasonably so that it can be broadcast here.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
As usual, nothing is really going to change in F1. However, I'm wondering if there is any chance that the new FIA management might decide to price WRC broadcast rights reasonably so that it can be broadcast here.
Ah, was that the problem ? I assumed that was a decision by Speed TV as part of showing almost nothing but NASCAR. But you're saying it was also an FIA thing (in pricing it too high ?)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
One bit I hadn't heard before in BOLD

F1 : Peace in F1: the first details - F1 - F1-Live.com

Peace in F1: the first details
Compromises in rebel teams' favour
24/06/09 16:01

The first details of the peace deal between rebel FOTA teams and the FIA are beginning to emerge.

Max Mosley, now to step down as FIA President in October, announced after Wednesday's World Motor Sport Council meeting in Paris that a cost reductions package had paved the way to a compromise deal between the warring sides.

But it is also believed that Michel Boeri, currently President of the FIA senate and head of the Monaco automobile club, will immediately begin to handle all relations between the sport's governing body and the teams.

It seems that Mosley's planned budget cap, meanwhile, has been completely scrapped, although the kinds of other cost reductions agreed by the eight Formula One Teams Association members should lead to radically smaller budgets by 2011.

However, Mosley appears to have backed down on all fronts.

He had been pushing for the executive boards of the manufacturers involved in F1 to commit to the sport in writing through 2014. Instead, all the teams will simply sign a new Concorde Agreement, but valid only to the end of 2012.

The published 2010 regulations are to be completely torn up, replaced - as per FOTA's wish - with this year's rules but modified for the cost-cutting measures agreed on Wednesday.

The World Motor Sport Council was the culmination of an intense amount of pressure: not only about the viability of Mosley's ongoing tenure, but also the looming breakaway.

FOTA had this week appointed a PR company to inform a wider media audience about the plans, and was preparing to push forward with a meeting to discuss preparations - including inking initial contracts - on Thursday in Bologna.

Lawyers for F1's commercial equity owners CVC, meanwhile, had travelled to Silverstone last weekend and apparently pushed the warring sides very hard - particularly Mosley as the regulator - to broker a solution.

Wednesday's developments are likely to be immediately formalised with FIA and FOTA press statements, and the publication of a final 2010 entry list.

"This for me is an enormous relief," Mosley said in a hastily convened press conference in Paris, also referring to "personal difficulties" he has faced.

F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone was also in Paris and said he was "very happy that common sense has prevailed."

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
...the funny (sad) thing is all thoose teams that lined up and comitted to join the budget cap series are now out on the street... don't let the F1 door hit you in the a$$...

i would assume usgpr or usf1 - whatever their final name, is in though - probably the only 'new' team for next year.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
...the funny (sad) thing is all thoose teams that lined up and comitted to join the budget cap series are now out on the street... don't let the F1 door hit you in the a$$...

i would assume usgpr or usf1 - whatever their final name, is in though - probably the only 'new' team for next year.
3 new teams

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro (Ferrari-engines)
Vodafone McLaren Mercedes (Mercedes-engines)
BMW Sauber F1 Team (BMW-engines)
Renault F1 Team (Renault-engines)
Panasonic Toyota Racing (Toyota-engines)
Scuderia Toro Rosso (engines tba)
Red Bull Racing (engines tba)
AT&T Williams (Toyota-engines)
Force India F1 Team (Mercedes-engines)
Brawn GP Formula One Team (engines tba)
Campos Meta Team (Cosworth-engines)
Manor Grand Prix (Cosworth-engines)
Team US F1 (Cosworth-engines)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Damn I wanted a split. The only way a race will come to the US (at a good track) is if there was a split. The price Bernie Ecclestone charges for F1 is way to much for any track in the US to pay. The only way that Bernie’s thieving hands where going to be removed from F1 was for the teams to start a new series.

O-well … I wanted to see some of the good tracks come back.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Damn I wanted a split. The only way a race will come to the US (at a good track) is if there was a split. The price Bernie Ecclestone charges for F1 is way to much for any track in the US to pay. The only way that Bernie’s thieving hands where going to be removed from F1 was for the teams to start a new series.

O-well … I wanted to see some of the good tracks come back.

I too am disappointed. Bernie may keep the thing organized, but so did Saddam.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts