The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the wife and I are two big dorks and we love watching most, if not all the races live each season, we make our own little slumber party and can't wait for this season to kick off.

Personally, I believe this will finally be Massa's year. Props to Hamilton, Kubica and Vettel, but I think it's going to be a Ferrari year.

Cheers,
Nawar

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
I'm excited.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I have a feeling that BMW is going to give Ferrari a good run this year and might actually succeed.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing Brawn Kick some unexpected butt and shake things up.

Massa is a great driver, but I think Räikkönen is better. Hamilton and Alonso are probably ahead of him as well. The question is, how's it going to play out on the track. Honestly it's a pretty open field right now, with the exception of Force India, I think all the other teams are "competitive" enough to place cars in the top 8.

Mind you, that's not saying much, only 6 cars finished AUS last season (technically 7, but RB was DQ afterwards).

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
^Me too (think anything could happen). As far as Massa, I've never been a huge fan but late last year I started to see more of the fire that I'd not seen from him before, I hope he does well. It will also be very interesting though to see if Kimi can come back and put up some consistent results.

At the end of the day though, I'm mainly rooting for Hamilton :clap:, but also will be watching what Kubica can do.:coolnana:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looking at the timing from the first two practice sessions, if McLaren are sand-bagging; it's time to unload the bags. Kovalainen looked OK in the first session but Lewis has been in the basement the whole time. Final Friday practice has Nico on top and Rubens second. I'm not sure what tires or fuel loads anyone had during Friday's laps, but the prequalifying practice tonight should tell us alot.

I think, if Ross Brawn can keep pace with the McLaren and Ferrari season-long development, he may have a chance. Williams and Toyota also look good. I'll let the diffuser-gate issue settle before I make any predictions, but it sure would be cool if Rubens was a contender this year, especially after exspending his best years at Ferrari hooked to Schumacher's rain light.

Go Kimi!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Looking at the timing from the first two practice sessions, if McLaren are sand-bagging; it's time to unload the bags. Kovalainen looked OK in the first session but Lewis has been in the basement the whole time.
They're saying that Lewis' car had floor damaged for the first session. This seems believable as his second session was over a second faster. Given that all the cars are within 2 seconds of each other I think driver skill will play heavily once they actually start the race.

I'm predicting a crash on lap 1 turn 1 involving a driver from Renault, Ferrari and or McLaren.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I stayed up to watch the practice sessions live last night (or this morning, more accurately). Unless McLaren, Ferrari and the rest make some quick design changes or have their complaint upheld on appeal, those cars with the extra diffuser element around the rear tail light are going to enjoy quite an advantage. Toyota, Brawn and Willaims took six of the top seven practice times-all had the steward-ok'd, but still controversial, diffuser.

I don't think McLaren is sand-bagging. Not when you're almost 2 seconds off the pace. They've got some re-engineering to do.

It's going to be a very interesting season.

I'm glad they didn't change the points structure. Having the last two seasons decided by a point each seems to indicate that the present points system is working pretty well.

Tom

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Does anyone understand the new rules for this upcoming season? Something about points not mattering??
They rescinded it. The only actual change would have been who they chose as individual driver World Champion, everything else stayed the same (WC would have been driver with most wins, points as tie breaker, as opposed to the current most points deciding WC with most wins as the tie breaker).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
As far as the rest of the (non points) changes, loosely:

* switch to slick tires
* changes in aerodynamics
* engine rev limit from 19K down to 18K
* only 8 engine changes per season (so some engines will see 3 races)
* introduction of KERS (push button for 6.5 seconds of 83 hp per lap)

That's the core of it. The focus was on forcing more passing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Totally excited.

My wife is a Villanova alum, so we watched the game last night. After the basketball game ended, I was like, "Well, it's pretty close to the start of practice for the F1 race..." It made for a rough morning at work.

Sort of excited to see the field mixed up this year. Brawn looks interesting. I am sure the diffusers will either be declared illegal or copied by the big teams within a matter of weeks, but at least this weekend should be fun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
but I think it's going to be a Ferrari year.
:no:

By what I've seen today, they'll have to work hard to win races before the end of the season.
Very clever who can say who'll win this year; it looks like the new regulations have totally redistributed the cards...
Alonso remains, by far, the best driver on the grid as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I cant wait until 1am tomorrow to start watching!!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
i'm so excited, i put it on my license plate :crazyeyes

Attachments

1 - 20 of 107 Posts