The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The objective was to enclose the rear wheel well openings to expand the surface area for air moving toward the diffuser to minimize drag and increase down force while allowing the rear suspension to fully articulate. When I had installed the BOE Silent Touch (above diffuser exit) exhaust in 2010, I had fabricated a blanking plate for the exhaust cut out on the diffuser to improve aero.

Last year, I made a front aero panel for my Exige (http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/exige-front-under-tray-aero-panel-project-122993/), so adding the rear aero panels completes the underside aero upgrades for my car.

For the rear aero panels, I created templates for the engine service panel and diffuser using cardboard then transferred to 0.06125 (or 1/16) inch aluminum 5052 sheets (1 ft. x 2 ft.). The panels were attached with rivets to a backing filler strip and riveted to the engine service panel and diffuser. The diffuser panels were spray painted to match the diffuser color and finish. Total cost of project materials was about $60 for three 1 ft. x 2 ft. 5052 aluminum panels, a bunch of 1/8 inch. diameter x 1/8 inch long pop rivets, and a can of flat black spray paint that matched the OEM diffuser paint finish.

Unless you enjoy car projects that require fabricating and have the skills, facilities and tools for it, the available aftermarket solutions for rear aero panels are an incredible value when you take into account they come ready for installation and require no design engineering and fabrication tools, materials and labor.

While at it, I replaced all OEM fasteners with stainless steel button head hardware for the engine service panel and black steel button head hardware for the diffuser.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Looks nice bro!

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
...I had fabricated a blanking plate for the exhaust cut out on the diffuser to improve aero.
Why didn't you do that for the 3 NACA ducts also? I don't think you get that much air through them to do any good for "air cooling" the gear box or the engine... I blanked off all 4 of my holes. I didn't get around to blanking off the wheel wells yet...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why didn't you do that for the 3 NACA ducts also?
Actually, that is on my project list. I first wanted to get a baseline of oil operating temps with the new rear oil cooler that I just installed and (if any) commensurate change to the coolant temperature before dinking around with blocking the NACA ducts.

Me thinks that serial changes allow for meaningful data and observations whereas multiple changes done all at once can sometimes lead to a clusterf**k and meaningless data....especially when air flow to the engine bay and fluid temps are involved. I'm not an engineer so incremental change is my preferred approach.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I love the two piece design for each side, would make maintenance much easier!

I see a modification in the future for my setup!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts