The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, about to install a rear Innovative mount.

The mount's metal sleeve in middle is smaller than the factory bolt.

Did you use a smaller diameter bolt as I've bought in the pics or drill out the innovative metal sleeve to fit the bigger bolt?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
The stock bolt worked for me too. Check for a burr on the inside of the sleeve. I was amazed that they leave it saw cut without any cleanup. If you don't have a deburring tool, try finding a drill bit that's too large for the hole and use the point to clean up the inside edge.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks @Falsey and @kapps. I'm actually quite shocked and disappointed at the quality control.

I thought it was the case as I saw pics like below where the sleeve is evidently thinner.

I don't think have the tools to drill it out and to be honest, I'd be worried about not drilling straight.

I have a track day on 11 August and don't know what to do now as you can see the factory mount was splitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Hey glagola, how do I enlarge the hole? Not sure if I have the tools? Gradually using bigger drill bits?
hahaha, I was just editorializing on the state of the aftermarket.

I mean, you have three choices:

1) Call the vendor you purchased them from and work to find a solution.
2) Enlarge the hole with a drill.
3) Use a smaller bolt.

I'd probably lean towards #2 myself but #3 is less work and probably not going to be an issue. Just keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts

3) Use a smaller bolt.

I'd probably lean towards #2 myself but #3 is less work and probably not going to be an issue. Just keep an eye on it.
I wouldn't recommend option #3 because even though the smaller bolt would fit the mount properly and the smaller bolt MIGHT be strong enough for this application, the other hole that the bolt goes through will be larger to accommodate the factory bolt, this will allow movement that could eventually wear out the hole even larger and wear the bolt down as it does so.

If the problem isn't caused by burrs or some other minor restriction, I'd check with the manufacturer first. Drilling the mount so accommodate the factory size bolt would be my first choice if time is a factor. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the hole centered, the existing hole will act as a guide and help keep the drill centered.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I wouldn't recommend option #3 because even though the smaller bolt would fit the mount properly and the smaller bolt MIGHT be strong enough for this application, the other hole that the bolt goes through will be larger to accommodate the factory bolt, this will allow movement that could eventually wear out the hole even larger and wear the bolt down as it does so.

If the problem isn't caused by burrs or some other minor restriction, I'd check with the manufacturer first. Drilling the mount so accommodate the factory size bolt would be my first choice if time is a factor. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the hole centered, the existing hole will act as a guide and help keep the drill centered.
Agreed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You'll probably chip the edge off the drill bit going through a hole that's close to final size, especially by hand, but it is do-able. I do not believe that sleeve is hardened.

Or find a guy in your neighborhood with a lathe in the garage. Where are you located?

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,372 Posts
You'll probably chip the edge off the drill bit going through a hole that's close to final size, especially by hand, but it is do-able. I do not believe that sleeve is hardened.

Or find a guy in your neighborhood with a lathe in the garage. Where are you located?
A drill press should work fine but go slow. A reamer might be the right tool if the hole is that close to the correct size.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

3) Use a smaller bolt.

Thx, have contacted the vendor who has asked if I'm using for the right application. This car is a UK car so wonder if bolt size is different between UK and US spec?

They suggested I call Innovative directly but they closed at 3:30.

Thanks jetblast and glagola, will drill out the hole.

I'm in Australia but there's a friend up the road who was a mechanic from the 60s. He said he can help with a drill press and guide.

A drill press should work fine but go slow. A reamer might be the right tool if the hole is that close to the correct size.
Thanks lostpawn.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all once again, lathed out a bigger 12mm hole.

Quick one, needed to replace the factory bolt. I found one with a shank of similar length but the pitch is wider. Found another bolt of same pitch but shank is shorter (less strong?)

Which one to use? ��

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ordered a Kit for my EU - Car and they fitted perfect.
Maybe you ordered the wrong version, or they send you the wrong mount.

I don't believe that it should be necessary to enlarge the hole.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts