The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Factory Front Bumper Protection

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SKYVUE 
#1 ·
Recently, I bought two clear plexiglass "shields" that can be riveted (underside) covering the "fins" on the front clam. These fins are the ones that are damaged by driveways. Lotus sells them for $165/pair.
1. Any comments, experiences on these?
2. Where can I get these painted. If I can get enough paint, I'd paint it myself. I think the "touch-up" paint won't cover it (Saffron Yellow).
3. The shields when painted will cover some flaws in the fins.

I did a search for the factory protectors and could not find them.

--Hal

#2 ·
I remember a post about a guy that cracked the front clam on his Yellow Elise and ended up repairing it and using a rattle can paint job, and it match very well,

I am sure that this would be fine for the "Shields" you plan on using and giving the location I am guessing the paint will be close enough to not be noticed.

#3 ·
Hal,

I just ordered those for my Lotus from Beverly Hills Lotus because I thought they were a good idea. They were installing them on someone else's Elise when I was down there. I'll just have them paint and install them. One note, BH Lotus said that they should be painted on the inside not the outside to preserve the paint should they get scraped.

- z

#7 ·
Yes I needed that!:thwack:

Oh well, now I'm punished.:eek:

The thread that luxige found is EXCELLENT!
The wrong and right way to install.

I called the dealer (Silverstar) to get matching paint for the inside of the clear protectors. They referred me to to some person to paints parts, so I gave him a call. He says he "doesn't do Lotus" and gives me the number for another guy. So I give him a call and he says "I don't paint parts". I assume the job is too small for them to bother. :mad:

All I want is a rattle can of Saffron Yellow! Painting inside always works great, I remember painting my slot car clear shells inside, in 1965! Just give me the spray can and I'll paint the world Saffron Yellow! Why is a simple thing turns out to be difficult?

I'm not going to give up. Stay tuned....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.