The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm pretty sure this has not yet been discussed here. What sort of structural rollover protection does the elise have stock? I know height has been discussed in terms of comfort, but how about where the driver's head comes in relation to factory roll bars, especially with a helmet.

I am 6'2 and even without a helmet my head is about even with the roll bars in my S2000. With a helmet i am way over...not something that is terribly confidence inspiring.

Lastly, are there any good aftermarket rollbars that retain the use of the passenger seat?

-Steve

·
Registered
74 Posts
The roll bar in the elise is phenomenally strong - as a fair few UK drivers have had to discover. There have been photos of some completely wrecked elises that the driver and passenger have walked out of - despite the front and rears being wrecked the passenger cabin has been structurally sound.

You will be fine at 6'2. If you're worried about rolling the car (which is to be honest sodding difficult) get race harnesses fitted.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Speaking of. Does anyone know if the bolt-in a frame/harness bar and diagonal brace will be available from Lotus USA for the S3?

·
Registered
74 Posts
A Spyder harness bar will fit I'd suspect (works in an S2) - costs about UK£100.

The diagonal bar - again available from 3rd party suppliers, but no idea on cost as I've never seen an S2 with one fitted.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There was a thread in one of the "sub-fora"(?) on a related topic:

AuS4 said:
I'm one of those "no harness w/o a rollbar" kinda guys, but the fellas over at one of those "other" boards described an A-frame to support the stock roll hoop that also incorporates a harness bar. It seems like a really good idea to me, and I like the idea of a removable cross-brace for time trialing (although, I don't really know how easy the install/removal of the brace will be). See pic of the frame itself here.

From that point you should be able to use any standard harness with a wrap. Lap belts might find their way to seat mounting points. This all assumes that I'll be able to maintain the three-point reel for day-to-day use, which is mandatory for me.
This doesn't answer whether this would work in the US version, but I'd like to think that they haven't made any structural changes that would prevent it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Never seen one on the S2, but I know the S1 extra support bar into the passenger foot well is a huge pain to remove.

The roll bar is really very strong though, but under certain types of impacts yes it may deform. If you look at that pic though, the important bit above the guys heads was fine. A lotus guy actually commented on that pic I think, and he pointed out that these things need to absorb some of the impact to protect the passengers, not just resist it.

Frankly the roll over protection is 100x better than most any other car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Remember, if you plan on auto-xing this in SCCA, the helmet must be BELOW the roll bar/tp of the car for 2004. (New rules for targa tops/convertibles/t-tops).

When you go for a test fitting in the car, bring your helmet.

--KC

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Slight clarification.

Per the SCCA rulebook. The helmet can be above the rollbar, but that means you can not use upper body restraints. If you add an aftermarket rollbar, it must meet the constraints of the SCCA rulebook Appendix. The rollbar should be higher than your head, but does not have to be, if it is as high as can be considering the soft or hard top. However, again... if your helmet protrudes beyond the rollbar, or above the opening in a sunroof or targa top, you can not use upper body restraints.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Slight clarification.

Per the SCCA rulebook. The helmet can be above the rollbar, but that means you can not use upper body restraints. If you add an aftermarket rollbar, it must meet the constraints of the SCCA rulebook Appendix. The rollbar should be higher than your head, but does not have to be, if it is as high as can be considering the soft or hard top. However, again... if your helmet protrudes beyond the rollbar, or above the opening in a sunroof or targa top, you can not use upper body restraints.
Yeah, I fogot to put that part in about the stock vs aftermarket restraints. DOH! I was just coming in here to put that in after I had some lunch and realized I left that part out.

Randy... thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Carrying on with the roll-bar ---

Does anyone know of an Elise that races SCCA road racing events? (not Solo 2)

If so -- is the "standard" bar setup we see frequently pictured (roll bar with forward brace) suffice or is a more extensive "roll cage" added?

Lotus references an FIA approved roll-cage -- but I don't know if I've seen one.

I am wondering if the side protection will make it through SCCA tech without further additions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts