The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the center hub portion of the factory rotors on the 400 is made of ? I'm guessing the older Evora's are the same material. I have a little bit of slight surface rust on one of my rear rotors and wasn't sure if it was aluminum/alloy and I could just sand it or if it was steel and I needed to sand/paint it so it didn't rust again.

Thanks,
Spencer

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
I think the hats are just cast iron. They'll rust over time, but nothing a wire brush and some high temp paint can't fix.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'll check tonight, I have my wheels off right now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check tonight, I have my wheels off right now.
Thanks guys!! Yeah I was thinking I could always sand and paint no problem, was just trying to see if I could lightly wet sand it off and leave it and not have to paint or if I did that I for sure needed to paint it to stop corrosion from coming back as quick!

Spencer

·
Illegal Alien
5,153 Posts
Does anyone know what the center hub portion of the factory rotors on the 400 is made of ? I'm guessing the older Evora's are the same material. I have a little bit of slight surface rust on one of my rear rotors and wasn't sure if it was aluminum/alloy and I could just sand it or if it was steel and I needed to sand/paint it so it didn't rust again.

Thanks,
Spencer

Im not certain 400/410/430 all use the same material combinations. Typical reason fro 2 piece discs is to make a lighter aluminum hub; however, in your case just check with a magnet. Aluminum is non-magnetic.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks guys!! Yeah I was thinking I could always sand and paint no problem, was just trying to see if I could lightly wet sand it off and leave it and not have to paint or if I did that I for sure needed to paint it to stop corrosion from coming back as quick!

Spencer
Sorry for it taking a bit longer to check, but the front rotor hat in the front is not magnetic, it looks like aluminum to me. The rear rotor hat appears to be the same material, it's just harder to check due to the fact there is a drum beneath it for the parking brake.

·
Illegal Alien
5,153 Posts
Sorry for it taking a bit longer to check, but the front rotor hat in the front is not magnetic, it looks like aluminum to me. The rear rotor hat appears to be the same material, it's just harder to check due to the fact there is a drum beneath it for the parking brake.
Sorry, slow to see your response. Yes so these hats will be Aluminum, and rear must have a steel or iron liner for the parking brake surface. I would not sand the finish, but rather carefully scrape and clean surface with alcohol or brake cleaner. While aluminum self protects with an oxide surface, it is common in manufacturing to create a harder surface by anodizing, this finish can be clear, or colored with dye; sanding will remove some of this protection.

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
I've used a product called Ultra One Safest Rust Remover (Ultra One Safest Rust Remover 1 Gallon ) on a project build that had virtually no miles but had heavily rusted rotors (could not rotate by hand). I had excellent results.

It is water based and only attacks rust, nothing else. It will not affect skin, clothing, plastics, wood, rubber, wiring, etc. Due to the heavy rust I had, I set up a pump system to keep the rotors wet for several hours while it did its magic. However, with light rust, I believe you could just lay solution soaked rags on the rotors to keep them wet for +/- a few hours (key is to not let them dry until rust is removed). When the rust is gone, you just wash the area with clean water.

There are other products on the market that are similar and claim to work as well. But, I have no experience with them. With this product, I was able to easily rotate by hand when finished.

Just an idea I thought I'd mention.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome thanks for all the info guys!!! Gonna work on it tomorrow, will post back with results!

Thanks,
Spencer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts