The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, my car decided to make bad sounds! Other describe it best - sounds like marbles rolling around in a coffee can. Happens at idle and at throttle in all gears. No CEL. Put my scanner on and no codes thrown.

My car is an 08 SC with the factory Eaton M45 supercharger. From what I've determined, it's almost certain that is the coupler from the SC to the SC nose. Apparently it's got these 6 round holes that elongate over time and cause the issue. The 'rebuild' kit - coupler, bearings, oil, etc is like $50.

Unfortunately, finding somewhere to fix it is another thing. Waiting for TJ to get back to me. Slated to be at Gator next Tues anyway, but not sure if this is something I can drive 5 hours. Will I do more damage?

One local shop is 2 weeks out.

So:

- have others experienced this?
- fix?
- quick? easy? expensive?
- ok to drive?

Chime in - anything and everything.

Will upload video shortly.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Also check that the nose bracket is attached as the securing bolt broke on my m62 and made a similar noise.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Anyone use an aftermarket coupler? According to the linked article above by another member, they recommend the stock coupler. However, everywhere else that I have seen suggest and sell the aftermarket one. I bought the aftermarket one and want to know which is better before I install it.

·
$3(uR3 u$3r
466 Posts
Hi.

My thoughts/questions...

Is the sound at the rear of the supercharger, as in the video?

If the coupler is to take the impact of engine rpm change to save the teeth of the supercharger gears, the stock, spring loaded one seems better than the aftermarket solid plastic one. This is just my opinion. Does it make sense?

I have a hard time tracking down sounds. I have resorted to using a recorder and microphone I move around the car. Now I can track down sounds, even if it requires the car to be in motion.

Just some thoughts. I now want to know if our cars have a spring loaded coupler or not. Anyone change it and can report what is there?

All the best with this repair.

Alex

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi.

My thoughts/questions...

If the coupler is to take the impact of engine rpm change to save the teeth of the supercharger gears, the stock, spring loaded one seems better than the aftermarket solid plastic one. This is just my opinion. Does it make sense?

I have a hard time tracking down sounds. I have resorted to using a recorder and microphone I move around the car. Now I can track down sounds, even if it requires the car to be in motion.

Just some thoughts. I now want to know if our cars have a spring loaded coupler or not. Anyone change it and can report what is there?

Alex
I can't really tell. I focused my phone on the rear, but the sound is stronger near the front/pulley. I think the sound just reverberates through the SC.

Based on the research I've done on our cars and myriad others using the Eaton45 (and the Eaton90), I'm 99% certain the coupler is the issue. There are tons of posts of this on numerous car sites and youtube videos.

So, coupler fix it is unless someone has other info. Really a disheartening sound to hear. Literally sounds as though your engine is a washing machine and is throwing around a handful of rocks and marbles. Scary.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Hi.

My thoughts/questions...

Alex

From what I have seen from disassembled units on the web, this is the first time I've seen the spring unit. But I believe there is 4-5 revisions of the mp62.

·
$3(uR3 u$3r
466 Posts
Will it do more damage if you drive it? It looks like no, if it is the coupler.

From the last page in the link below... IMO bad coupler shouldn't really make any particular difference on either the pack or needle bearings. Its all rotation on the same axis and regardless to a tiny moment of free rotation, any hammering effect is in rotation direction, not side loading or in/out.

Write-Up: 95sc Changing the coupler in an Eaton m62

Hope this helps.

Alex

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
It is not hard to remove s/c as there is no intercooler. Just time consuming. I have install instructions for bwr, katana2, and VF. Using these removal is quite simple. You may find many loose bolts which make noises worse. I did not hear rubbing which is good as the lobes are not touching. If you want them pm me your reg email I can send. Hell took me longer to install cooling fan on intercooler then removing S/C!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
So, coupler fix it is unless someone has other info. Really a disheartening sound to hear. Literally sounds as though your engine is a washing machine and is throwing around a handful of rocks and marbles. Scary.
Did you ever find out what the problem was with your SC?

Never mind I saw it in your ad.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep. All fixed and easy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts