The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So now that Lotus is offering the Elise and Exige with superchargers, an alternative to buying an aftermarket supercharger kit might be to install the factory Lotus supercharger.

One potential advantage to this approach is that if everything exactly matches the factory supercharged engine (including the ECU) then the car should be legal in California.

I think it would be interesting to put together a list of the parts required and what they would cost. Does anyone have access to Lotus parts catalogs? Is there anyone who has some knowledge about what the changes are between a SC and non-SC car?

I realize that this is probably a much more expensive way to go than just buying one of the existing kits, but it would be interesting to see how this option would compare in cost.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
So now that Lotus is offering the Elise and Exige with superchargers, an alternative to buying an aftermarket supercharger kit might be to install the factory Lotus supercharger.

One potential advantage to this approach is that if everything exactly matches the factory supercharged engine (including the ECU) then the car should be legal in California.

I think it would be interesting to put together a list of the parts required and what they would cost. Does anyone have access to Lotus parts catalogs? Is there anyone who has some knowledge about what the changes are between a SC and non-SC car?

I realize that this is probably a much more expensive way to go than just buying one of the existing kits, but it would be interesting to see how this option would compare in cost.

Where'd you find this info? I searched google and lotuscars.com and couldn't find it...

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Where'd you find this info? I searched google and lotuscars.com and couldn't find it...
He didn't give any info except for the fact that Lotus sells cars with superchargers on them. Everybody here should already know that. :thwack: He merely asked questions.

He also didn't search this board for earlier discussions on just this subject. Forum member Westrock probably has a semi-complete list of parts, seeing as how he converted his Katana kit into an OEM look-a-like for the purposes of competing in a stock class of Solo II.

Otherwise one would need to get a copy of an Elise SC, Exige S, or Exige S240 parts guide, depending on which setup one wanted to replicate.

xtn

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
The elise 05 would be out of luck, since there's no factory option announced for it yet, and no SC version of it exists.

The 06-07 models would need a lot of work to change the new sc, manifold, plumbing, ecu, engine harness and main harness , cluster, addtional wiring for VTC if its there, etc.

Even then it might not be legal to the letter of the law, though i doubt anyone would notice through most CARB testing places, probably only the CARB lab testing thing, but if that were the case, so would the other kits.

·
Registered
803 Posts
persistent rumor, heard again today from a reliable source

I heard it again today from a (reliable?) source, the factory is going to provide a supercharger kit. The apparent advantage is that it will be CARB compliant and you will retain the warranty. The kit is a couple of months away and is awaiting pricing.

It sure makes sense, given that Lotus has done most of the engineering with the current cars and even more important, covet the kits coming from Sector 111 and BWR. I also bet the cost will be substantially more as they will need to include dealer installation, generally not as cheap as independent installation.

I also think the after market kits will be producing more power than the conservative factory kits.

On the other hand this rumor has been around forever and has never materialized. Who knows?

Michael

·
Registered
155 Posts
Factory kit VS other two

I understand in the end it offers no more than atermarket kits but is a much more difficult install. Takes much more time and requires clam removal and dashboard dissasembly etc.
Mort

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I understand in the end it offers no more than atermarket kits but is a much more difficult install. Takes much more time and requires clam removal and dashboard dissasembly etc.
Mort
The factory kit offers CARB approval, which is important in California and a few other states. I wish they had at least used a MP62.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts